Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Everyone's opinions are obviously wonderful, including mine, but there's only one important set of data points that most readers of this thread will be looking for: on-the-ground experience with how and exactly when this change is implemented by the airlines. Everything else is just hot air.

And the same goes for apps like Verifly, too, including whatever United and Delta use. The transition over the next few days promises to be tricky!
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Any word on whether the vaccination requirement will remain for foreigners entering the US?
Howmuch likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Nayef
I’d understand removing the test mandate if masks/vaccines had still been required (like Canada) but this is going to be incredibly risky especially since US citizens and permanent residents among others aren’t required to be vaccinated. And of course with vaccination infections can and do happen. Covid cases are up probably because people now are a lot less inclined to take masking and being around crowds seriously and many are still getting severely ill and hospitalized though thankfully not as badly as pre-vaccines.
Originally Posted by richarddd
I believe part of the rationale is that there are no such requirements for domestic flights or just about any other activities in the US. Yes, international flights would be somewhat safer, but why should they be different from everything else? You may say we should be doing more to reduce transmission, but hard to see why these flights should be the priority.

Another part of the rationale may have been to prevent new strains or masses of infected people from entering the US, but given the prevalence in the US that doesn't make sense anymore, if it ever did.
Right -- The testing mandate makes zero sense to me considering there are no other protocols in place. Slightly safer for the flight to test everyone first, but then you touchdown in a crowded airport with tons of domestic travelers who were, at best, 'self-screened' for feeling sick (and most of us will hop onto a domestic flight with zero mandates and go to another airport). Why require the hassle and expense to protect a plane of 300 when there isn't any around the airport handling tens to hundreds of thousands. If I were weary of COVID (and I am generally not*), a testing requirement on one leg of a international flight is meaningless. (*By generally not, I do have four shots of vaccine and the first thing I do when I get seated is open the air valve; but I'd rather accept the risks than keep in place masking rules and mandates in perpetuity).
JBJ2435, DCJoe1 and dlichterman like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:38 pm
O62

Of course I just bought a 6-pack of tests for an upcoming trip. Oh well, certainly alleviates stress!
CorgiMom and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
I hope this doesn’t cause more infections on planes especially since masks aren’t required on most flights to and from the US and most US airports. If my dad hadn’t tested the day of their travel as required he was potentially going to infect a lot of people on their flight.
The mask requirement was a lot more useful than the testing requirement in that regard. The rapid tests tend to error on the side of negative and asymptomatic people are unlikely to infect anyone more than a few meters away. It is the people with rabid coughing and sneezing who are infecting everyone in their cabin by spraying everyone, and I have seen more than a few on the flights with the testing requirement. Given how easy it is to game a self-test or even create a fake test result sheet, the USA testing requirement was always a bit of a farce. Get your shots, get your boosters, get your rest (for the sake of your immune system), and move on with life. Covid is endemic now, and we must all learn to live with it. The only thing this policy was accomplishing was enriching a few people in the testing industry and causing untold pain and suffering from people forced to quarantine while asymptomatic or merely stressed out about the logistics and possible ramifications of this test.
susiesan, catocony, AXR64 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Airline Lobbying at work. Great.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
FINALLY.
AXR64, Silver Fox, 84fiero and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by mguinness
So much for "follow the science" then - I wonder what metrics were used to make the decision as cases are trending upwards? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy common sense prevailed.
[mod delete of misinformation]

But as far as what metrics? Poll numbers, I'd expect. So there's hope for democracy after all.
AXR64, LETTERBOY and mnhusker like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 10, 2022 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by TravelForum
Correct. Just like the mask mandate, airlines have wanted this gone. It could have been repealed in 2 hours after the announcement and the airlines would have been ready.

The less they have to check, the happier they will be.
Maybe there will be viral videos of pax throwing away their test results in the terminal
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by volabam
Maybe there will be viral videos of pax throwing away their test results in the terminal
Haha - that would be epic!!
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:07 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
[mod edit]

On topic, it really goes to show how careless people are about their health/about others. You needed a mandate to get yourself to take a test, rather than be proactive and take one without a mandate? 🙄😴

RAs will continue by those who have common decency. Folks in here relieved about this mandate ending - y'all should spend a day in Shanghai.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 10, 2022 at 1:11 pm Reason: OMNI comment
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mrdovenb
They were pretty specific. Ends midnight Sunday.
12:01am EDT Sunday is when the Biden Administration has indicated it ends. It basically ends upon Saturday being over in DC. Effective 12:01am very early Sunday morning EDT, the testing requirement is lifted for the airlines/airline passengers.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Hooray! This is great timing for me since my recovery letter (from my symptomless case that kept me stuck in Argentina for an extra 5 days) just expired. The US has been a step behind throughout the pandemic, and that absolutely includes lifting unscientific restrictions like the testing requirement.
TravelForum likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:36 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
US needs to update their vaxxed certificate requirement to include the annual boosters. It will occur soon

[mod edit]
lobo411 likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 10, 2022 at 2:11 pm Reason: Redacted off-topic comment
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Any word on whether the vaccination requirement will remain for foreigners entering the US?
Not going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.