Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by zymm
Hooray! This is great timing for me since my recovery letter (from my symptomless case that kept me stuck in Argentina for an extra 5 days) just expired. The US has been a step behind throughout the pandemic, and that absolutely includes lifting unscientific restrictions like the testing requirement.
I wouldn’t say “throughout,” we’ve had the first mass vaccinations, Pfizer and Moderna are still the best vaccines out there, and we were going to lift the ban on EU travel earlier. Sometime around Jan 2021 the wheels fell off the wagon though
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Now I can breathe a big sigh of relief for my INTL trip next month!
Breath out a big sigh of relief, now what are you gonna be breathing in is a different story...
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
[mod edit] I am happy to not have to deal with this anymore.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 10, 2022 at 3:08 pm Reason: OMNI comment redacted
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rickfromla
I am happy to not have to deal with this anymore.
I’ll thank them for saving me $0-40 per passenger on my flights, but I may come to miss the end of all the airline ticket flexibility — which ends with this testing requirement — more than I appreciate the end of my test costs.
DutchessPDX likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 10, 2022 at 3:09 pm Reason: Conform with edited version of quoted post
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
[mod edit - no longer relevant]

I just received our first (and now, definitely last) boxes from eMed - were leaving Tuesday so didn’t want to wait any longer in case there were delays in processing, etc. On the one hand, these are now just really overpriced BinaxNow tests. On the other hand, saved lots of space in our carry ons😀
Remember you can submit for reimbursement to your health insurance carrier in the US. I submitted mine and was reimbursed half of the cost of my last eMed order. $75 is better than nothing!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Remember you can submit for reimbursement to your health insurance carrier in the US. I submitted mine and was reimbursed half of the cost of my last eMed order. $75 is better than nothing!
I got $150. I wonder if it's because I have a gold plated insurance policy that tends to pay 100% of most things, or if it was just an error. My insurer's website (Kaiser Permanente) says I should only have gotten 6x $12 = $72.

I could call them and complain about getting too much money, but...nah!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Yes. All tests are reimbursable by insurance at least to some degree. I had a few unexpired eMed tests (paid previously and reimbursed by insurance) and also picked up a box of 5 Flowflex at Costco for my upcoming trips (was planning to add proctoring by Azova, which is not necessary now). The Flowflex tests were processed at point of sale with $0 out of pocket cost. So for those who have ordered eMed tests you can always file insurance claim. It may not be covered for the entire amount but insurance will pay for part of it.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Breath out a big sigh of relief, now what are you gonna be breathing in is a different story...

In Pfizer I trust.
northinsouth likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
You are lucky. I have about 30 tests that I now plan to just use for self-testing. EMed website says “All sales are final and non-refundable.”
The rumor is that AA will exchange any of your unused travel tests for 250 Loyalty Points "sometime later in the year"....
Kawliga likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by LWkitty
Well, testing is still required for cruising. Maybe you could sell them to a friend who has an upcoming cruise? Just a thought ...
I'm not aware of any "U.S. government" requirement for pre-cruise testing. As far as I know, it's the cruise lines themselves that are requiring them.
And given what they went through, it's a smart idea because the last thing that industry needs to remain in business are ships full of covid19 cases.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
I’ve got 4 tests left from an eMed 6-pack and am waiting on approval of the insurance claim. Even if they don’t reimburse the full amount, 1) the tests on-site were $25 each, and 2) I would’ve gladly paid $90 a test to go through the motions on a video call and avoid listening to my husband’s daily paranoia about getting stuck abroad.

Also, my tests don’t expire until January, and I have almost zero confidence that they won’t try to resurrect this in the fall.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nk15
The rumor is that AA will exchange any of your unused travel tests for 250 Loyalty Points "sometime later in the year"....
And Delta will give you 1 mile
nk15 and northinsouth like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
I got $150. I wonder if it's because I have a gold plated insurance policy that tends to pay 100% of most things, or if it was just an error. My insurer's website (Kaiser Permanente) says I should only have gotten 6x $12 = $72.

I could call them and complain about getting too much money, but...nah!
I also have Kaiser low deductible plan and they only gave me $72. I think I messed up when I did the request and clicked as non proctored exam so my reimbursement was lower.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
Statistically, on an aircraft of 300 people there is likely to be someone with the infection. That’s the downside of the removal of testing requirement. I hope I’m wrong, and fingers crossed.
Given the seemingly increased latency between infection and a positive test especially with recent variants, I imagine this has been true for a while, whether with testing (international travel) or without (domestic travel), considering that both PCR and antigen tests are permitted.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
This is awesome! My hops back to Canada won't be as annoying anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.