Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:59 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by jumpingmouse1
Reading this new US entry requirement. So if I went to China, then to Japan, stay for two days, and fly out from Narita, am I still subject to the covid test before the US bound flight?

If you plan to travel by air to the United States from China, Hong Kong, or Macau, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test no more than 2 days before your flight. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • This requirement also applies if you have been in China, Hong Kong, or Macau in the past 10 days and you are traveling to the United States from one of the following airports: Incheon International Airport (ICN) in Seoul, Republic of Korea; Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) in Canada; and Vancouver International Airport (YVR) in Canada (referred to as Designated Airports).
The Timatic wording on the iatatravelcenter website is perhaps a little more logically laid out and easy to understand.

Clause 2 states you will need a test if travelling from China on a single itinerary. Clause 3 is about the other 3 named airports.

If you're on one ticket from China through NRT to US then I think it applies to you (via clause 2). If separate tickets then not.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 27, 2023 at 7:44 am Reason: Conform with edited version of quoted text
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:10 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
BA still require Attestation and Proof of Vaccination for US travel
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jumpingmouse1
Reading this new US entry requirement. So if I went to China, then to Japan, stay for two days, and fly out from Narita, am I still subject to the covid test before the US bound flight?
But you will need a negative Covid test before flying from China to Japan regardless of your vaccination status.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:36 pm

Thank you for the explanation and for pointing to timatic for more reference. I understand the rule now though the regulation itself makes no real world logic sense.
Grey Nomad likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:27 am

We are US citizen and have completed 2 Pfizer vaccine shots, and 2 booster shots . We will flight home ( BKK ==> TPE ==> SFO) with transit for ~ 6 hrs at Taipei airport, Do I need any Covid-19 testing to be done before boarding at BKK airport . And because we will depart from TPE to SFO as our 2nd flight , not sure Covid-19 test is required before boaring . Please advise and thank you.

Last edited by vnfilm1; Mar 22, 2023 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
While there are territorial disputes over Taiwan, it does not count as China in this matter.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Rules quietly and cowardly extended again until the 11th of May, so far. Science and 'common sense' ®
Sadly as predicted...

Source:
https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fi...546-21-02c.pdf
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:58 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by olegator
Rules quietly and cowardly extended again until the 11th of May, so far. Science and 'common sense' ®
Sadly as predicted...

Source:
https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fi...546-21-02c.pdf
Thank you for spotting this. Reading the document, there is still no change to the definition of "fully vaccinated" so it remains two shots of most vaccines, or a single shot of J&J plus the relevant time period in both cases. There is no requirement to have had a booster, although I suppose in practice (and looking at the UK's stats as an example) probably most people who took the first set of vaccines will have decided to have at least one.

However, it is perfectly possible that even if it's two years since your last jab you would still be considered fully vaccinated in the eyes of the CDC/TSA.

I don't recall how long previous extensions were, but it does seem that they're putting the minimum period of time on now - so this could be a move towards relaxation.
Majuki, LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Thank you for spotting this. Reading the document, there is still no change to the definition of "fully vaccinated" so it remains two shots of most vaccines, or a single shot of J&J plus the relevant time period in both cases. There is no requirement to have had a booster, although I suppose in practice (and looking at the UK's stats as an example) probably most people who took the first set of vaccines will have decided to have at least one.

However, it is perfectly possible that even if it's two years since your last jab you would still be considered fully vaccinated in the eyes of the CDC/TSA.

I don't recall how long previous extensions were, but it does seem that they're putting the minimum period of time on now - so this could be a move towards relaxation.
Glad to see that they haven't tried to change the definition of "fully vaccinated" which would have ramifications outside of inbound international travel to the U.S. Amazing that this nonsense is still going on in 2023 to any extent but glad to see a nod towards relaxation and hopefully the end of these requirements.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
COVID national emergency ends as Biden signs bill (thehill.com)

The article doesn't mention the vaccine-related entry restrictions specifically, but this may (or may not) affect it.
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
There is no connection at all sadly but who knows.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:33 pm

There seems to be a mixed message in this aritcle via msn from dailymail.com

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/tri...5424b180&ei=13

"CDC RENEWS its Covid vaccine requirement for travelers coming to US"

"Covid vaccination requirements for foreign arrivals to the US by air are currently set to expire on May 11, 2023, says the Transportation Security Administration."
N830MH likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by phuket_j
There seems to be a mixed message in this aritcle via msn from dailymail.com

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/tri...5424b180&ei=13

"CDC RENEWS its Covid vaccine requirement for travelers coming to US"

"Covid vaccination requirements for foreign arrivals to the US by air are currently set to expire on May 11, 2023, says the Transportation Security Administration."
The CDC made some technical changes to the vaccine requirement but there is no news so far on whether the mandate will be extended. On past performance nothing will be announced until a few days before it is due to expire.
Old May 1, 2023, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by mnhusker
It will be interesting to see the reports in the news of the financial impact of this:
-testing sites and staff layoffs
-impact on companies that produce test kits
-Verifly app: it may be hit significantly, including the special areas in airports with Verifly checkin lines

Also, will this speed up airport check in for international flights, at least to the US? That would be a nice benefit.
Good points - thank goodness this didn't turn into a permanent jobs/works program like the TSA did.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 5:56 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Please continue discussion in the following thread.
The US to End COVID-⁠19 Vaccination Requirements for International Air Travellers

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.