Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
This argument nonsense, saying that because the testing is not perfect, discard it completely...
​​​​​
I'm saying because the test is a) not perfect to start with and b) obviously not able to detect infections contracted after or even shortly before the test was taken which adds another element of leakiness requiring a test is nothing but theater. By all means encourage people to test, and make people whole if they test positive. I.e. refund them or rebook them, whichever they prefer. As it stands, all this testing nonsense does it add uncertainty and extra costs to international travel, which is stressful enough for many people as it is.

The tests are relatively cheap, $5-35 in most situations.
I've not seen a supervised test for less than $30, and the point isn't that the cost is low because to me and I'm sure to you it is, but for a family of 5 that's not $35, it's $175 which they may not be able to afford. And worse, if they're going to one of those stupid places that requires a PCR and doesn't accept RATs that's another $500 if not more spent on useless bullcrap. At that point even to me it's a lot of money.

There is no brain scraping anymore, what are you talking about.
Not for rapid tests, no, but many countries still require a full-blown PCR test which is neither cheap (often running over $100) and in most cases is still done using a brain scrape.

If you test positive, you should not be on the plane anyway.
I agree that if you are sick you should stay home, but this rings true for any other disease like the flu as well.

In any case: the goal of the pre-departure test requirement is and has always been to keep COVID out of the country. A goal that that measure has failed spectacularly at, given that not a single country that has or has had a pre-departure testing requirement is covid-free. I understand fully that this method of keeping covid at bay was attempted -- it seems reasonable at first glance but policies like these should always be evaluated and if they are ineffective (which objectively this requirement is) they should be abolished asap.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
Well, the good thing is that you won't test positive if you don't test at all (for ->US flights).[Moderator edit.]

I would also say that testing positive =/= actually sick. I still tested positive 2 weeks after recovery from symptoms (that's what recovery certs are for)

And if another country requires a test? Cool, they're at the bottom of my list. However if Australia and Singapore can let people in without a test, I have no doubt most countries would be moving to remove test requirements, eventually.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 16, 2022 at 8:47 am Reason: Per FT Rule 12: discuss the thread topic, not individual members in a personal way.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta; American Express
Covid testing AND vaccination CDC cards - returning to USA!

We are 4 US citizens headed to and returning from Switzerland this September. All have vaccinations but some do not have boosters. Assuming no 90-day change in regulations, it is clear that we no longer need the 24-hour negative test. Just want to make sure I am correct on the CDC card and the Covid vaccinations.

QUESTION - absolutely no vaccination information required by Delta on return to JFK from Zurich? In other words (not that we would do this) we wound not required to show/bring the CDC card?

Not complaining because we have been healthy - but we have cancelled 4 European trips in the past 2 years.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:10 pm

If you are a US citizen, all you need is passport to return to USA.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
There are no covid-related requirements for either Switz or US. You don't even need masks. You can pretend it's 2019
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Assuming no changes, you will be required to show only your passports. However, just as I keep my international vaccine certificate card with me when I travel, I will also always carry the CDC card. Be on the absolute safest side and keep it with your passport. It doesn’t take up any room.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by nk15
This argument is nonsense, saying that because the testing is not perfect, discard it completely... The tests are relatively cheap, $5-35 in most situations. There is no brain scraping anymore, what are you talking about. If you test positive, you should not be on the plane anyway.
The bigger question is what is the testing accomplishing in terms of grand strategy. Containment is just not viable anymore with how contagious the new variants are so there really shouldn't be that much effort on stopping spread but on mitigating the resulting spread. We are nowhere near overwhelming the health care system so the whole "flatten the curve" argument isn't really useful at this point either. Basically trying to not get covid through masking and testing is just an exercise in futility because you're thinking of an individual not on a large scale.

If a significant number of people have it, it will evade detection and spread. Simple as that.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The government required tests in an attempt to keep the virus out of the country. For that, it was always a spectacular failure. Same for the closed land border between Canada and the USA for so long. That would have only made sense if one of the countries was relatively disease free.

But it doesn't hurt to pick up positive but asymptomatic people BEFORE they get in a metal tube with hundreds of other people.
KPChicago likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:50 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CyBeR
They have introduced a new attestation form that is the same level of ridiculous as the previous one, but of course skips the part about test results and only applies to vaccination status. Also, given that US Citizens and residents have no requirement to be vaccinated, it is only to be filled out by non-resident foreigners.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/order-safe-travel.html
It would seem that at least some airlines - those on Verifly - will accept an electronic version of the attestation for those us with no automatic right of entry to the US. I have a flight on Sunday (with AA) so started the Verifly documentation. It allowed me to tick a box in the app which certified that I was vaccinated, then prompted me to scan my NHS QR code.

It's certainly a lot less painful than printing an absurd number of mostly redundant pages.
LupineChemist likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL wouldn't let me do OLCI without returning to the DL version of Verifly to re-visit documents (which I couldn't even see earlier) only to decide that I didn't need to complete the attestation. It would have been a problem if I had tried to check in on a computer to print my boarding pass without having my cell phone handy. In the meantime, my phone was telling me that I had already checked in. GRRRRR.

In the meantime, I printed the current generic CDC attestation form just in case someone demands it at the airport.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL wouldn't let me do OLCI without returning to the DL version of Verifly to re-visit documents (which I couldn't even see earlier) only to decide that I didn't need to complete the attestation. It would have been a problem if I had tried to check in on a computer to print my boarding pass without having my cell phone handy. In the meantime, my phone was telling me that I had already checked in. GRRRRR.

In the meantime, I printed the current generic CDC attestation form just in case someone demands it at the airport.
Go to airport and see ticket agent. They will print your BP out. They will take care of it.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Done Verifly (twice!) which gives me a load of green ticks and boxes saying I’ve done everything. BA OLCI says they haven’t confirmed my details, won’t let me check in. Should I just stop bothering and do it at the airport tomorrow? I want to try and get an upgrade anyway so I’ll need to speak to someone before going through security either way.

Just no idea why it’s not working really. Bloody technology.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by N830MH
Go to airport and see ticket agent. They will print your BP out. They will take care of it.
I was able to print my boarding pass in advance, but the confusion about what steps were necessary was very frustrating and completing OLCI took much longer than necessary.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Any more experiences to report on non-citizens having to show proof of vaccination or other documents?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:54 pm

Good riddance. About 24 months too late but better late than never I guess. No more traveling with my work laptops when I'm on vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.