Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Covid testing to travel to USA- reversed for travelers from China Jan 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
That leads me to suspect that the CDC wanted to keep it, but was overruled by the White House.
So much for "follow the science" then - I wonder what metrics were used to make the decision as cases are trending upwards? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy common sense prevailed.
LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
Statistically, on an aircraft of 300 people there is likely to be someone with the infection. That’s the downside of the removal of testing requirement. I hope I’m wrong, and fingers crossed.
I’d understand removing the test mandate if masks/vaccines had still been required (like Canada) but this is going to be incredibly risky especially since US citizens and permanent residents among others aren’t required to be vaccinated. And of course with vaccination infections can and do happen. Covid cases are up probably because people now are a lot less inclined to take masking and being around crowds seriously and many are still getting severely ill and hospitalized though thankfully not as badly as pre-vaccines.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nrr
I flew zrh to jfk a week ago, at T-20 I used a c/i kiosk to complete.the ATTESTATION form and get my bp.
Whether doing this on-line would have worked
I haven't had any luck with the kiosks or with FlyReady so I've been stuck in line. It was especially brutal at MEX. All of the late morning flights left within an hour and they didn't have enough people working so we barely made it. People were getting real angry in line. Funny enough the AM desks across from Delta were completely empty. Should've just flown them home.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by richarddd
We just ordered an emed six pack yesterday, but the relief from not having to worry about returning home on schedule far outweighs the cost of the now unneeded tests.
The same with me. My biggest concern was being asymptomatic and not being able to return to the States.

I can always use the test in the future, non-proctored.
worldiswide and volabam like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:38 am

The great thing about US and Europe dropping this is that this will completely finish any demand or appetitie for getting pcr tests within various African countries that are still quite draconion about it. So hopefully this will have a rolling impact on other countries that are on the fence about dropping requirements
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mguinness
So much for "follow the science" then - I wonder what metrics were used to make the decision as cases are trending upwards? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy common sense prevailed.
Given the uptick, timing was definitely a surprise! During the entire pandemic, I have not had as many people get COVID in my inner circle as within the last 5-6 weeks. This is in the D.C. area. That being said, I’m happy the requirement to test goes away.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Nayef
I’d understand removing the test mandate if masks/vaccines had still been required (like Canada) but this is going to be incredibly risky especially since US citizens and permanent residents among others aren’t required to be vaccinated. And of course with vaccination infections can and do happen. Covid cases are up probably because people now are a lot less inclined to take masking and being around crowds seriously and many are still getting severely ill and hospitalized though thankfully not as badly as pre-vaccines.
I believe part of the rationale is that there are no such requirements for domestic flights or just about any other activities in the US. Yes, international flights would be somewhat safer, but why should they be different from everything else? You may say we should be doing more to reduce transmission, but hard to see why these flights should be the priority.

Another part of the rationale may have been to prevent new strains or masses of infected people from entering the US, but given the prevalence in the US that doesn't make sense anymore, if it ever did.
volabam and VCURamFan like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Xlr
The airline ground staff might know from the media about the change, but ground staff are typically local contract staff who follow what the airline tells them to do.
A reference to TIMATIC or the like could be working for them too just fine by Sunday/Monday, at least as long as they enter the right details and read properly. Best to check it for updates on one’s own from now until on Monday, but this is big enough news in the airline world that it shouldn’t be a problem to get around even an ill-informed obstinate agent by finding someone else who knows better.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CDC has not yet put out a media alert about this, but it’s to come. The CDC were also like this when it came to going ahead with the testing requirement.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:05 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
As luck will have it I will be leaving from Europe towards the US (NYC) this very Sunday. I was already stressed with getting a test, a nearly impossible and rather expensive task in Switzerland, as most testing facilities are now closed, and the few remaining are rather expensive. Good news
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I hope this doesn’t cause more infections on planes especially since masks aren’t required on most flights to and from the US and most US airports. If my dad hadn’t tested the day of their travel as required he was potentially going to infect a lot of people on their flight.
Statistically, on an aircraft of 300 people there is likely to be someone with the infection. That’s the downside of the removal of testing requirement. I hope I’m wrong, and fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by richarddd
I believe part of the rationale is that there are no such requirements for domestic flights or just about any other activities in the US. Yes, international flights would be somewhat safer, but why should they be different from everything else? You may say we should be doing more to reduce transmission, but hard to see why these flights should be the priority.

Another part of the rationale may have been to prevent new strains or masses of infected people from entering the US, but given the prevalence in the US that doesn't make sense anymore, if it ever did.
Let's just nip this in the bud before it turns the thread into an off-topic discussion about the logic/efficacy testing/masking.
LWkitty likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:11 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
So we depart from Tahiti at 9:00pm (3:00am ET). Technically that is 3 hours after the requirement expires. United Airlines.

Should we just not test at this point? Or is it foolish to expect the airlines to be up to speed on the new rules?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
Given the uptick, timing was definitely a surprise! During the entire pandemic, I have not had as many people get COVID in my inner circle as within the last 5-6 weeks. This is in the D.C. area. That being said, I’m happy the requirement to test goes away.
cases might have had an uptick but the deaths managed to be rather flat throughout BA.2
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:13 pm

"That official said the Biden administration plans to work with airlines to ensure a smooth transition with the change" US will end Covid-19 testing requirement for air travelers entering the country - CNNPolitics

It's certainly enough time to update TIMATIC and get the word out to agents and contract employees.
volabam likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:15 pm

Since thankfully don’t need the dozen embed tests for travel home , we can use for our flights out of country
12 of us going on a family sailing vacation to BVI. I’ll mail the tests to them to use at home for flights to BVI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.