Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
Well, the way I would have done it was to have a code that is on the report that is unique to that report that can be easily validated via a portal and very difficult to break the algorithm (aes1024). You could even have taken it back to the paper days with a hologram/watermark on a physical certificate that would have a phone number with the same validation number. Technology doesn't create solutions--it only streamlines them. In this case, technology has done nothing but really made it easier to skirt stuff.

My Kaiser NAAT test is valid for travel, but United needs to see 'RT-PCR' on the paper. Instead of spending $100/ea for another RT-PCR test, I was truly tempted to just put an RT-PCR on the report and let it pass. I'm sure people with less ethical convictions have done just that. It's that hard to swap a positive to a negative either.
not all NAAT tests are PCR
NAAT can be LAMP, TMA etc
this is why UA wants you to show RT-PCR, no other reason than the destination country requires RT-PCR
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
not all NAAT tests are PCR
NAAT can be LAMP, TMA etc
this is why UA wants you to show RT-PCR, no other reason than the destination country requires RT-PCR
Indeed.

My local Walgreens offered NAAT that was NOT PCR.

It is (to me) somewhat confusing (and I worked in healthcare for almost a quarter century ).

But of course that is a little Off Topic for arrival to US thread
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Indeed.

My local Walgreens offered NAAT that was NOT PCR.

It is (to me) somewhat confusing (and I worked in healthcare for almost a quarter century ).

But of course that is a little Off Topic for arrival to US thread
Exactly. I got into an argument with someone on the 'Current China Entry' Forum about NAAT not being the same PCR due to not having to convert RNA to DNA, but I was personally confused why it matters on a US Int'l Arrivals Forum. 🤣
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Why does https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...hengen-uk.html stay closed for a week? Now we getting 10+ topics while it could've been in one? Mods not even reply to DM's asking to re-open it?
LETTERBOY, gojko88 and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:02 pm

Has anyone gotten a positive test before the flight home? International travel is finally a possibility again but the thought of a forced extension to a trip worries me.

What would the procedure even be, keep arranging tests until a negative?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Schweden
Has anyone gotten a positive test before the flight home? International travel is finally a possibility again but the thought of a forced extension to a trip worries me.

What would the procedure even be, keep arranging tests until a negative?
It depends on the country. I would assume that in most places, a positive test would be required to be reported to local health authorities. The result could be a local hospital, government quarantine center, quarantine in a hotel, etc.

Also, airlines are likely to ask whether you've had a positive test result within the last X days. DL does this during OLCI, even for domestic flights. I think X = 14 in this case. Even if a later test is negative, you would still need to answer yes to the question and presumably the airline would deny boarding.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends on the country. I would assume that in most places, a positive test would be required to be reported to local health authorities. The result could be a local hospital, government quarantine center, quarantine in a hotel, etc.

Also, airlines are likely to ask whether you've had a positive test result within the last X days. DL does this during OLCI, even for domestic flights. I think X = 14 in this case. Even if a later test is negative, you would still need to answer yes to the question and presumably the airline would deny boarding.
Good friend got a false-positive, he wasn't permitted to re-test for 24 hours, also failed that one. Took another 24 hours later and passed. PS - he's vaccinated and already had COVID.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Not just safer, but a lot more convenient. Optum sells a two-pack with app and monitoring for $70 plus shipping. That to me is an easy choice, even if the price for a test at a foreign clinic were $0. I'm paying a helluva lot more than $70 for my holiday abroad. I'm not about waste a lot of vacation time at a clinic for a test.
Totally agree. I use eMed. Last week, conducted the test, then during the 15 minute wait I had a shave and poured a cup of coffee, then returned to my laptop. This is SO much better than having to find some clinic in a foreign city and wait in line, or take some hotel shuttle or some other nonsense. Here's a PSA I posed in the UA forum a few minutes ago...

Just an update, some of which may echo what's been written upthread (I haven't read everything).

1) Within the past day or two, families/friends CAN share the six-pack, and this fact is reflected on the eMed website. However, when ordering the kit, you need to enter their names and birthdates and there's presumably a limit to how many members you can ultimately have. In other words, I purchased a six-pack for myself/son/his girlfriend. This saved me $300.
2) Each person needs their own Navica app, as that's what they'll show at the airport.
3) I've successfully used the Navica app/printout when returning to the US via Delta and Qatar.
4) Having said that, it MIGHT be an issue at the departing airport. For one trip, I originated in Baghdad where you need a PCR merely to enter the airport. Once in, you can use eMed/Navica to show to Qatar. Granted, Baghdad is a bit off the beaten path, but I wouldn't be surprised if this issue were to come up elsewhere. I'm guessing no in Europe, but if originating in Indonesia/Philippines, etc, I can see it. Imagine those places where you need a PRINTED copy of your itinerary to enter the airport (like Zanzibar). Again, probably not in the EU, but this is where I see the greatest risk.
5) Don't wait, in case you get a false-negative. I conduct my tests 3 days prior to departure just for this reason.
6) I had a bum test on one occasion, the agent could SEE that it was messed up, well before we got started. Might have been heat related (Iraq). Point is, take at least two per person.
7) Last point. Take screenshots. In Venice last week I almost didn't get on the flight because I couldn't get a cell signal in the airport (my bad, I had manually selected a network). I was able to hotspot off my wife's phone and display the Navica details...but it was a close call and rather nerve wracking.

Good luck all - Jamie
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Plat Elite, Marriott Gold Elite
Very helpful. Thank you. I just received a six pack of eMed tests for my wife and me to use in Italy. No problem entering my wife's name on the order. (Still kinda hoping that the US will end the testing requirement soon so that I won't need the tests to return at all...)
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Totally agree. I use eMed. Last week, conducted the test, then during the 15 minute wait I had a shave and poured a cup of coffee, then returned to my laptop. This is SO much better than having to find some clinic in a foreign city and wait in line, or take some hotel shuttle or some other nonsense. Here's a PSA I posed in the UA forum a few minutes ago...

Just an update, some of which may echo what's been written upthread (I haven't read everything).

1) Within the past day or two, families/friends CAN share the six-pack, and this fact is reflected on the eMed website. However, when ordering the kit, you need to enter their names and birthdates and there's presumably a limit to how many members you can ultimately have. In other words, I purchased a six-pack for myself/son/his girlfriend. This saved me $300.
re: #1, I only entered my wn details when ordering the 6 test kits and others were able to use some of my tests. There was no problem or question in their doing so. Now, it may be possible to add other names to the order, but I didn't see where I could do that -- I also wasn't looking for that.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
re: #1, I only entered my wn details when ordering the 6 test kits and others were able to use some of my tests. There was no problem or question in their doing so. Now, it may be possible to add other names to the order, but I didn't see where I could do that -- I also wasn't looking for that.
When you click Order Now a window pops up and it asks who is taking the test: myself, myself and other and others. You can enter 3 names and then their DOB, eligibility in the next screen.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:24 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Do you have to order a 6 pack or is there a smaller (and cheaper) version of the same product? I thought I saw a $70 version but I think I might be getting confused.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by kac2138
Do you have to order a 6 pack or is there a smaller (and cheaper) version of the same product? I thought I saw a $70 version but I think I might be getting confused.
there's a 2 pack and link through UA
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 1:54 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Has anyone gotten the antigen test in Italy or Austria?

Is it easy to find?

I just went through this to get a test in France (fortunately many pharmacies do the test, not sell you self-test kits as is the case in Spain).

Now I have to make sure I can get a test in Italy or Austria next month. Or whether I should just buy the Binaxx test kits.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by exp; Jul 16, 2021 at 3:43 am
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by exp
Has anyone gotten the antigen test in Italy or Austria?

Is it easy to find?

I just went through this to get a test in France (fortunately many pharmacies do the test, not sell you self-test kits as is the case in Spain).

Now I have to make sure I can get a test in Italy or Austria next month. Or whether I should just buy the Binaxx test kits.
But why would you NOT want to buy the test? Why deal with potential language barriers, having to disrupt your schedule, having to wait in line…when you can just take a test in your apartment/hotel as part of your morning routine?
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.