Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:25 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Switzerland is NOW offering FREE rapid antigen tests for “travel”, I assume the FREE is for Swiss covered under their health insurance—could USA tourists also get a “free” test when flying back to the USA, per CDC requirements.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Free is for residents who have a Swiss insurance card. It is free, but cost CHF18 or so for the travel documentation.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Just gt back to the US from Germany. There were free antigen tests to be had all over in Germany. We had brought BinaxNOW tests with us in case we needed them, but the free tests that were available to anyone were perfectly acceptable - and were fast.
SamirD and Owenc like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Just gt back to the US from Germany. There were free antigen tests to be had all over in Germany. We had brought BinaxNOW tests with us in case we needed them, but the free tests that were available to anyone were perfectly acceptable - and were fast.
Same here for Denmark (and lots of cheap German strawberries too!).
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
How do you all get comfortable with the risk of testing positive? It’s spooking me a little now that europe is having trouble again. I plan to be mostly outdoors and of course am careful (you won’t catch me in a nightclub) but now I’m like deathly afraid of getting stuck. Double vax’d so maybe I am just having trouble evaluating the risk in my brain.
LETTERBOY, MSPeconomist and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by kac2138
How do you all get comfortable with the risk of testing positive? It’s spooking me a little now that europe is having trouble again. I plan to be mostly outdoors and of course am careful (you won’t catch me in a nightclub) but now I’m like deathly afraid of getting stuck. Double vax’d so maybe I am just having trouble evaluating the risk in my brain.
Originally Posted by gudugan
For example, Costa Rica:

As a foreigner you have to purchase hospitalization insurance in the case you test positive for covid. This is an entry requirement for the country, a test is not required.

There is no test required to exit the country but one is required to fly to US.

If you test positive (does not matter whether you are vaccinated) you must go to a quarantine facility for 10-14 days. They take your passport number when you take a test so they know who you are.

Theoretically the at home test would avoid this, or flying to another country with no test requirement for entry (i.e. Mexico)
You can't really do much about what the test results are, other than lowering the risk yourself (staying outdoors like you say) or at home test or fly to TIJ and cross land border.
To be honest I was pretty worried about test results too in Costa Rica especially because you can test positive when asymptomatic.

To quantify the risk in specific, there are different facets:
* Risk of you testing positive before starting your journey (i.e. entering a new country): can't do much about this but I think the risk is relatively low in US if vaccinated. Depends on where you are at
* Risk of testing positive while in another country at a testing facility: need to research what each country's protocols are. Most countries do not have an exit requirement for testing but some do (e.g. Iraq)
* Risk of testing positive while in another country with at home test: nothing
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:51 pm

https://newjersey.com/fully-vaccinat...ined-in-panama
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Link didn't work.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
Flying on the 13th to the US at 10 pm. Can do PCR test early am on the 10th, which is the best choice to allow for the results to come back, etc.. But what happens (any experience?) if there is a delay past midnight?

I guess there could be two scenarios: 1) The flight is delayed already at the time of check-in, which could be trouble but unlikely since the operations are so limited or 2) The flight becomes delayed due to mechanical or whatever close to departure.

My guess is that scenario 2) is ok unless they are specifically instructed to re-check tests in case of delay.
My thoughts are the same as yours for #2, but you never know with how the enforcement varies and how the rules seem to be in a state of flux right now.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:58 pm

new link with interview with the person
https://bronx.news12.com/fully-vacci...tine-in-panama

tldr
  • rapid test may have false positives, PCR test is more accurate
  • if you are concerned about false positive from rapid test maybe get PCR test but it's more expensive and has longer turnaround time
  • good luck trying to convince government officials of a foreign country where you may or may not speak the language that "the rapid test had a false positive but I really need a PCR test and if the PCR test is negative the first test doesn't mean anything"

also the article implies that since she was fully vaccinated she believed she could not get the virus, which is definitely false (see upthread for more discussion)
MSPeconomist and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:25 pm

new link with interview with the person
https://bronx.news12.com/fully-vacci...tine-in-panama

tldr
  • rapid test may have false positives, PCR test is more accurate
  • if you are concerned about false positive from rapid test maybe get PCR test but it's more expensive and has longer turnaround time
  • good luck trying to convince government officials of a foreign country where you may or may not speak the language that "the rapid test had a false positive but I really need a PCR test and if the PCR test is negative the first test doesn't mean anything"

also the article implies that since she was fully vaccinated she believed she could not get the virus, which is definitely false (see upthread for more discussion)
I am quite curious about her PCR test result outcome. surely she would know by now?

Originally Posted by gnaget
Flying on the 13th to the US at 10 pm. Can do PCR test early am on the 10th, which is the best choice to allow for the results to come back, etc.. But what happens (any experience?) if there is a delay past midnight?
I guess there could be two scenarios: 1) The flight is delayed already at the time of check-in, which could be trouble but unlikely since the operations are so limited or 2) The flight becomes delayed due to mechanical or whatever close to departure.
My guess is that scenario 2) is ok unless they are specifically instructed to re-check tests in case of delay.
in scenario 1), you will have to retake the test. this has happened to someone i know.
in scenario 2), you dont. this has happened to my own flight. aircraft swap due to technical error after check in.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can't really do much about what the test results are, other than lowering the risk yourself (staying outdoors like you say) or at home test or fly to TIJ and cross land border.
To be honest I was pretty worried about test results too in Costa Rica especially because you can test positive when asymptomatic.

To quantify the risk in specific, there are different facets:
* Risk of you testing positive before starting your journey (i.e. entering a new country): can't do much about this but I think the risk is relatively low in US if vaccinated. Depends on where you are at
* Risk of testing positive while in another country at a testing facility: need to research what each country's protocols are. Most countries do not have an exit requirement for testing but some do (e.g. Iraq)
* Risk of testing positive while in another country with at home test: nothing
I suspect that some places require that all positive results from the *supervised* home tests must be reported to authorities. If this happens, I would presume that you won't be able to travel back to the USA on a commercial aircraft. You might also be taken to a local hospital or government isolation facility.

There's also the aspect of having to certify at check in (for example, DL asks this during OLCI even before domestic flights) that you haven't tested positive........
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:24 pm

update: its mid-july...
Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by michael1023
update: its mid-july...
Your point?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
Your point?
In many places regarding COVID it's still the 19th month of 2020
LETTERBOY, SamirD and Owenc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.