Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:16 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by gudugan
In many places regarding COVID it's still the 19th month of 2020
imo, it's still that way everywhere and will be until the normal 3yr run of a pandemic. We've only passed the midpoint...17 months to go
Old Jul 12, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by SamirD
imo, it's still that way everywhere and will be until the normal 3yr run of a pandemic. We've only passed the midpoint...17 months to go
I've been visiting the US recently and it feels exactly like 2019. Only difference is that Uber is ridiculously expensive and there is a bit less traffic.
Many companies are targeting Labor Day for return to office so hopefully Uber becomes cheaper but traffic will increase again. Oh bother.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 11:23 am

Definitely wasn't that way in Vegas this week, never seen it as packed as it was in 30+ visits. That includes maskless concert with 70,000 people and perhaps the biggest UFC fight in history w 17,000 unmasked. There was nothing 2020 about it.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:13 pm

Your point?
that this silly rule of testing before coming back to usa blah blah is still in effect...
LETTERBOY, SamirD and Owenc like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Hi Dallas here.

What pandemic?
LETTERBOY and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Definitely wasn't that way in Vegas this week, never seen it as packed as it was in 30+ visits. That includes maskless concert with 70,000 people and perhaps the biggest UFC fight in history w 17,000 unmasked. There was nothing 2020 about it.
Yep, people are acting like there isn't a pandemic going on...and that is exactly what will spread whatever variants are here. It's the same foolishness as the early pandemic, and sadly people will die because of it.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by michael1023
that this silly rule of testing before coming back to usa blah blah is still in effect...
The rule isn't silly imo, but the validation of the testing is imo as ANYONE can fake a test easily and then bring variants, etc here. If preventing the spread was important, flights would be grounded or everyone entering would pass a rapid test before be released in the wild...
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Hi Dallas here.

What pandemic?
Yep, same in other places too, but it's still there waiting to pounce again. I hope I'm wrong, but MT is already showing what can happen.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:19 am

The rule isn't silly imo, but the validation of the testing is imo as ANYONE can fake a test easily and then bring variants, etc here. If preventing the spread was important, flights would be grounded or everyone entering would pass a rapid test before be released in the wild...
Yeah but how do you actually validate a test?
I am looking at a test that I did in the US and it's just a bunch of words on a paper. No QR code or anything. My impression is that they take a sample, send it to the lab, and the lab sends back a result in whatever format they want. Standardizing lab results across every lab in the world is much harder than building a vaccine passport, which we also don't have.

A test I did in Costa Rica has a QR code which links to a PDF of the test on their website. Pretty nifty but it's not a government system or anything, you still have to trust that a random PDF on a random website is accurate.

Before we had QR codes and computers and all this stuff we just trusted a handwritten version of the carte jaune.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
A QR code isn't some sort of magic bullet. ne can easily have it point at a PDF URL for a "result" on one's own web site...
EmailKid, 84fiero and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:00 pm

Yeah but how do you actually validate a test?
I am looking at a test that I did in the US and it's just a bunch of words on a paper. No QR code or anything. My impression is that they take a sample, send it to the lab, and the lab sends back a result in whatever format they want. Standardizing lab results across every lab in the world is much harder than building a vaccine passport, which we also don't have.

A test I did in Costa Rica has a QR code which links to a PDF of the test on their website. Pretty nifty but it's not a government system or anything, you still have to trust that a random PDF on a random website is accurate.

Before we had QR codes and computers and all this stuff we just trusted a handwritten version of the carte jaune.
Well, the way I would have done it was to have a code that is on the report that is unique to that report that can be easily validated via a portal and very difficult to break the algorithm (aes1024). You could even have taken it back to the paper days with a hologram/watermark on a physical certificate that would have a phone number with the same validation number. Technology doesn't create solutions--it only streamlines them. In this case, technology has done nothing but really made it easier to skirt stuff.

My Kaiser NAAT test is valid for travel, but United needs to see 'RT-PCR' on the paper. Instead of spending $100/ea for another RT-PCR test, I was truly tempted to just put an RT-PCR on the report and let it pass. I'm sure people with less ethical convictions have done just that. It's that hard to swap a positive to a negative either.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
My Kaiser NAAT test is valid for travel, but United needs to see 'RT-PCR' on the paper. Instead of spending $100/ea for another RT-PCR test, I was truly tempted to just put an RT-PCR on the report and let it pass. I'm sure people with less ethical convictions have done just that. It's that hard to swap a positive to a negative either.
To which country are you travelling as United specifically okays NAATs for entry?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ml#ustravelers
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:35 pm

Well, the way I would have done it was to have a code that is on the report that is unique to that report that can be easily validated via a portal and very difficult to break the algorithm (aes1024). You could even have taken it back to the paper days with a hologram/watermark on a physical certificate that would have a phone number with the same validation number. Technology doesn't create solutions--it only streamlines them. In this case, technology has done nothing but really made it easier to skirt stuff.
I get the point but it's a lot of effort that won't be useful. Someone can still print out a CDC card and fill it out themselves. And there's probably spurious labs out there that will provide negative samples if paid. Even if such a code existed, they would get a legitimate negative code.

Since this says Kaiser (a US healthcare company) this test is being used to exit the US, not to enter the US.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Since this says Kaiser (a US healthcare company) this test is being used to exit the US, not to enter the US.
That is weird. The US has not imposed exit requirements. The title of this forum does say 'international arrivals'.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:41 pm

yes yes, i think it was just an off topic remark
a test is required to go from US to many other countries
OSSYULYYZ likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.