Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:13 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Just want to make sure I am understanding the requirements correctly. I've read that the test must be done within 72 hours of departure, and then read on the CDC site that it must be within 3 calendar days.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

So if I have a departure back to the USA on a Thursday at 3PM - can I do the test anytime Mon/Tues/Wed, or do I have to wait until Monday 3PM? I want to get it done as early as possible on my trip.
I would actually try to aim for a 48hr window just to be safe. Some ticketing agents don't know the difference between 72hrs and 3 days and people on here have had issues.
Xyzzy and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Note that for flights to the US, the above-linked CDC page specifies leeway for delays outside the passenger's control:
Good luck arguing with an airline rep with that. Better to have a better margin for error than to try to be 'right'.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Sure sometimes one encounters a poor agent but not always, and supervisor escalation usually resolves such IME. Regardless, it's best to begin with knowledge of the specific rules as published.
Good luck with that. I've even had to deal with agents here that were wrong on testing requirements that would have refused travel. In a foreign country? Hell no do I want to be in that position...
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by mdkowals
My concern here is the Constitutional or American value implication that you can effectively ban a US citizen or resident immigrant from entering the US. It's via workaround [President orders the FAA which orders the airlines, etc...], so it's not "technically" denying entry - but every sniff test can see that's the intent.

What happens if someone tests positive? Do we want our citizens spending weeks in a foreign hospital? Quarantine on their own dollar in a hotel? Do they become homeless in country X if they can't afford weeks worth of a hotel stay? It'd be much more to everyone's benefit to rapid test on arrival, in their own country, if that's what is needed to be done. Let them then go immediately from the airport to a medical facility where they can navigate their path forward.

While it becomes some sort of ideal to limit COVID spread, but I really don't like breaking our own set of inscribed values to do it.
So the answer to this is pretty simple. Everything official from the government states don't travel during the pandemic. They also state there's limited things they can do to help if you get in trouble, covid or otherwise. If one proceeds without having their own backup plans (med evac ins, etc), then how is that the country's fault? We told you not to go, told you we couldn't help, and now you're stuck? Sorry, you're sol.

Same for those that are refusing to get the vaccine for idiotic reasons. Fine, you don't get it the vaccine, you get covid and there's no hospital bed for you, you die and it's your own fault. There is a lot of personal responsibility that comes with a lot of freedom, and I think people have forgotten that.

And before anyone thinks this is cold, consider this fact--my father died from covid. If every [*person] in the US locked down hard and sat at home until the vaccine was available and then slowly started to venture back out, my dad would still be with me and alive. But no one really considered that when they were being selfish and spreading the disease, so if someone gets stuck positive when traveling when warned not to travel, I find it really hard to show any empathy. People died because of stupidity like traveling and now you want help? Good luck, but you dug your own grave.

*inappropriate language changed by moderator
michael1023 likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 2, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
I never understand why the loophole argument is a valid argument to protest against testing requirement. so should all speed limits on road be eliminated because some crafty drivers installed apps that tell them where the speed camera is and therefore will always know when to speed and when not.

i agree US never thought things through in the sense that they didnt make this an airtight requirement for all modes of entry, (but this is a rarity, rather than a common occurrence if you observe how testing requirements are implemented in other countries worldwide). however, in their defense this is more of a circumstantial issue than anything. first, not everyone who enters US are US citizen and have rights to be admitted as long as they present themselves to border and second, not every US citizen will be aware of or will make the effort to use the Tijuana backdoor. Third, there are not necessarily direct flights to Mexico from wherever Loophole Larry is and therefore if they are limited in choices in airlines and transit cities, it presents another layer of difficulty in actually boarding a plane when unable to present a negative test result

a multi prong approach is needed to address a pandemic, not single solution. any approach that presents more obstacles to the end user will contribute towards the end result of reducing spread. it will make any user think twice before circumventing, lying about test result, etc plus in some countries, you actually need to test negative before exiting so the Tijuana backdoor is not even an imminent reality.

instead of griping about testing requirements, make lemonade out of lemons. with a drop in the volume of people willing to travel abroad, the astute traveler will notice that there are quite a number of travel deals abound as some places slash prices in a bid to reactivate tourism, while others will take advantage of this quiet period to visit places that are traditionally overpacked. all these opportunities will not last long, and will start disappearing the moment travel barriers are lifted for the "average joe" in US and outside of US
Very well said.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by mdkowals
My concern here is the Constitutional or American value implication that you can effectively ban a US citizen or resident immigrant from entering the US. It's via workaround [President orders the FAA which orders the airlines, etc...], so it's not "technically" denying entry - but every sniff test can see that's the intent.

What happens if someone tests positive? Do we want our citizens spending weeks in a foreign hospital? Quarantine on their own dollar in a hotel? Do they become homeless in country X if they can't afford weeks worth of a hotel stay? It'd be much more to everyone's benefit to rapid test on arrival, in their own country, if that's what is needed to be done. Let them then go immediately from the airport to a medical facility where they can navigate their path forward.

While it becomes some sort of ideal to limit COVID spread, but I really don't like breaking our own set of inscribed values to do it.
there's a reason why so many countries are listed as Level 3 or Level 4. while i dont agree with all the danger level being advised, that in itself is a clear sign from the government to discourage nonessential travel.

no government can force you to stay at home, but each of them can come up with a variety of measures to make things difficult (for example, for many Asia and Oceania countries, need permit to leave and/or need to quarantine at facility for 2 weeks when return). and that in itself is often effective enough to achieve their intended goal

therefore, if you travel abroad and get stranded for whatever reason, it's on you. i think each individuals should bear their own responsibility and not keep having expectations that the government will come to their aid or be repatriated?

i understand it's distasteful if there are no warnings beforehand, however, as it stands, there are sufficient advisory. they have clearly learned from their (expensive and challenging) lesson of repatriations during March 2020.
SamirD and solewalker like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by sbandy
There are some very useful threads in the Italy forum about where to get tests [[url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/2041607-where-can-you-get-covid-test-italy-before-you-fly-out.html?2041607=#post33298900]here] and [[url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/2045908-antigen-tests-milan.html]here]. Also this site seems to list locations around the country. In a few weeks I will be able to report back on my experience.
I am in Milan now and getting a test was surprisingly easy. We got here yesterday and while walking to dinner saw a rapid antigen test sign at a pharmacy (Boots Pasubio) 10 mins from the hotel. Went in and the lady said make an appointment online. So this morning made an appointment online for later this afternoon but stupidly chose molecular (pcr) instead of rapid antigen. Having found no way to modify this online, walked 10 mins back to the pharmacy and the lady goes no need to do anything with the incorrect appointment but you can take the rapid test now if you want. So we take the test. Results in hand after 15 mins or so. 25 EUR per person. Walking around this morning and afternoon saw few other pharmacies advertising rapid tests as well. One of them was San Lorenzo I think.

Unlike in the US where CVS, Curative etc are self swab these tests were administered by a tech in a tyvek suit a mask and a face shield and it was not exactly a shallow swab. Sorry for this detail but I had to get tested routinely last year before vaccines got rid of mandatory testing at my workplace.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by SamirD
And before anyone thinks this is cold, consider this fact--my father died from covid. If every [person] in the US locked down hard and sat at home until the vaccine was available and then slowly started to venture back out, my dad would still be with me and alive. But no one really considered that when they were being selfish and spreading the disease, so if someone gets stuck positive when traveling when warned not to travel, I find it really hard to show any empathy. People died because of stupidity like traveling and now you want help? Good luck, but you dug your own grave.
The vaccine wasn't announced until November of 2020, and wasn't widely available in the US around spring of 2021. The lockdowns, IIRC, started in March 2020. I'm sorry for your loss, but are you seriously suggesting that the entire country stay locked down for over a year?
Rare and tai4de2 like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 2, 2021 at 2:58 pm
Old Jul 29, 2021, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am in Milan now and getting a test was surprisingly easy. We got here yesterday and while walking to dinner saw a rapid antigen test sign at a pharmacy (Boots Pasubio) 10 mins from the hotel. Went in and the lady said make an appointment online. So this morning made an appointment online for later this afternoon but stupidly chose molecular (pcr) instead of rapid antigen. Having found no way to modify this online, walked 10 mins back to the pharmacy and the lady goes no need to do anything with the incorrect appointment but you can take the rapid test now if you want. So we take the test. Results in hand after 15 mins or so. 25 EUR per person. Walking around this morning and afternoon saw few other pharmacies advertising rapid tests as well. One of them was San Lorenzo I think.

Unlike in the US where CVS, Curative etc are self swab these tests were administered by a tech in a tyvek suit a mask and a face shield and it was not exactly a shallow swab. Sorry for this detail but I had to get tested routinely last year before vaccines got rid of mandatory testing at my workplace.
This is the way it works in France too (like in Italy). Very easy to get tested.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 6:14 am

I'm glad it all worked out. But isn't this the perfect endorsement for doing an eMed test from the comfort of your hotel? Why bother with pharmacies? You're obviously tech-savvy (made appoint online), but you had to make two trips. I realize it's not a big deal, but for me I'd much rather use the 15 minute testing-wait time to do something like shower or shave so that it doesn't eat into my vacation time.
MSPeconomist and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'm glad it all worked out. But isn't this the perfect endorsement for doing an eMed test from the comfort of your hotel? Why bother with pharmacies? You're obviously tech-savvy (made appoint online), but you had to make two trips. I realize it's not a big deal, but for me I'd much rather use the 15 minute testing-wait time to do something like shower or shave so that it doesn't eat into my vacation time.
It might come down to who the airline carrier is for your flight back to the US. Delta, United and American have all partnered with these companies and will accept the test results to board the plane, however there has been discussion that other airlines, like Emirates will not accept the test results since they are not done "in lab".
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
It might come down to who the airline carrier is for your flight back to the US. Delta, United and American have all partnered with these companies and will accept the test results to board the plane, however there has been discussion that other airlines, like Emirates will not accept the test results since they are not done "in lab".
Well, it's the U.S. that permits the use of eMed for re-entry, it's not technically the airline's call. That said, do you have first-hand experience with Emirates? Only asking because I fly them soon. When you say Emirates won't accept, are you specifically referring to the eMed tele-tests (done with agent watching, who then validates the results)? Or are you referring to the tests one just does at home WITHOUT a technician monitoring?

I can't find anything on the EK site saying they wouldn't accept eMed teletest, since results come from a lab, includes the type-test, collection time, etc.

Appreciate your input - Jamie
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:13 am

Well, it's the U.S. that permits the use of eMed for re-entry, it's not technically the airline's call. That said, do you have first-hand experience with Emirates? Only asking because I fly them soon. When you say Emirates won't accept, are you specifically referring to the eMed tele-tests (done with agent watching, who then validates the results)? Or are you referring to the tests one just does at home WITHOUT a technician monitoring?

I can't find anything on the EK site saying they wouldn't accept eMed teletest, since results come from a lab, includes the type-test, collection time, etc.

Discussion of this on this thread starting with post #654. I was trying to find an answer to this as well.
Emirates COVID test and other questions
jamienbaker and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:53 am

Generally the airlines are the gatekeepers, even when they are wrong. ymmv.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
Generally the airlines are the gatekeepers, even when they are wrong. ymmv.
Trust me, I know. And nothing frustrates me more than being more informed than the airline. Remember Greece and their PLF forms, one-per-family? Well, easyJet didn't get the memo, insisted it was one-per-passenger. HUNDREDS of ruined holidays because of that. Remember Chinese 72 hours transit visas? Yeah, I think it was Delta that didn't get that memo, and agents refused to tab forward two pages in Timatic to see that the rules had changed. More denied boardings.
florens and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.