Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:56 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Someone in another thread posted a screenshot showing 65 minutes, but I only waited about 15 minutes about 2 weeks ago when we used it at ~3pm UTC -10.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Yikes! Hope Greece is cooler.
Greece is also 110 by 11am and stays there the whole day, until midnight where it drops to 80-90s…For at least a week, maybe two. And fires everywhere, the whole Med is on fire, about 800 hundred fires in Greece, Italy, and Turkey in the last few days…
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
Greece is also 110 by 11am and stays there the whole day, until midnight where it drops to 80-90s…For at least a week, maybe two. And fires everywhere, the whole Med is on fire, about 800 hundred fires in Greece, Italy, and Turkey in the last few days…
Yes, saw a news story this morning from Rhodes, so sad to see.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:21 pm

Sorry - I know this will have been answered before, but in the heat of the moment I'm too stressed to trawl through 96 pages! I'm from the UK (but a dual UK/US citizen). Was heading off to Mexico with my husband for the first 3 weeks of September, but the UK has just now announced that Mexico has moved to the 'red list' meaning compulsory hotel quarantine on return, so we'll have to cancel our trip. Thinking about coming out to the States instead (which we normally do regularly to visit family and friends but haven't done obviously for the last 16 months) and visiting some National Parks etc...we'll be heading down to Texas/Arizona (probably flying via LAX)...We're both double vaccinated but I know that doesn't mean anything with regards to travel as it's the AstraZeneca jab which I don't think is 'approved' in the States?

As a dual citizen with a US passport I know I can get into the States, and that my husband (UK) can travel too (but good idea to take our marriage certificate). I know we also need to get a test within 3 days of travel in order to enter the States (haven't yet checked whether it's PCR or antigen). Is there anything else I ought to be aware of, or should put me off coming over/stick with Europe instead? Trying to make the best of 3 weeks vacation time...
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IKDR
(haven't yet checked whether it's PCR or antigen). Is there anything else I ought to be aware of, or should put me off coming over/stick with Europe instead? Trying to make the best of 3 weeks vacation time...
It can be either.

And September is still rather toasty in Texas and especially Arizona.

Unless that is where family resides, I'd visit a cooler place. NE or PNW should be very lovely .... except for the smoke from wildfires
IKDR likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:47 pm

No directly COVID but indirectly related you might want to check out rental car prices and hotel availability before going too far down the planning. Both can be in short supply these days. Hotels are probably not a problem in urban areas about around National Parks they very well could be. You might be ok in September though since the peak summer season will have passed. PCR an antigen test are both ok for US entry.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:54 pm

Sorry - I know this will have been answered before, but in the heat of the moment I'm too stressed to trawl through 96 pages! I'm from the UK (but a dual UK/US citizen). Was heading off to Mexico with my husband for the first 3 weeks of September, but the UK has just now announced that Mexico has moved to the 'red list' meaning compulsory hotel quarantine on return, so we'll have to cancel our trip. Thinking about coming out to the States instead (which we normally do regularly to visit family and friends but haven't done obviously for the last 16 months) and visiting some National Parks etc...we'll be heading down to Texas/Arizona (probably flying via LAX)...We're both double vaccinated but I know that doesn't mean anything with regards to travel as it's the AstraZeneca jab which I don't think is 'approved' in the States?

As a dual citizen with a US passport I know I can get into the States, and that my husband (UK) can travel too (but good idea to take our marriage certificate). I know we also need to get a test within 3 days of travel in order to enter the States (haven't yet checked whether it's PCR or antigen). Is there anything else I ought to be aware of, or should put me off coming over/stick with Europe instead? Trying to make the best of 3 weeks vacation time...
CA is starting to lock down again. Our apartment complex went to mandatory mask mandates as per the county directive as of 3pm yesterday. And I think in the next few weeks things will lock down further, which means that your trip may not be fun and you could run into more hassles/headaches--especially if flight routes start getting restricted.
IKDR likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by SamirD
CA is starting to lock down again. Our apartment complex went to mandatory mask mandates as per the county directive as of 3pm yesterday. And I think in the next few weeks things will lock down further, which means that your trip may not be fun and you could run into more hassles/headaches--especially if flight routes start getting restricted.
Newsom can't afford to do anything on a statewide level until after the recall election. Even if he survives, he may not be able to. And I'd be very surprised if any place in the US went to a full-blown lockdown again.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Newsom can't afford to do anything on a statewide level until after the recall election. Even if he survives, he may not be able to. And I'd be very surprised if any place in the US went to a full-blown lockdown again.
I think people in US don’t really understand what ‘lockdown’ means and put different meanings in it. Question - was there any time during last 1.5 years at any state that you need to get police/state permission to leave your home? Or any policeman on streets/road can stop you when walking/driving and ask to provide reasons/justification why you are not home, or issue fines if you are in the group of 1/2/3/whatever?

Because that was lockdown in most places implementing it.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by invisible
I think people in US don’t really understand what ‘lockdown’ means and put different meanings in it. Question - was there any time during last 1.5 years at any state that you need to get police/state permission to leave your home? Or any policeman on streets/road can stop you when walking/driving and ask to provide reasons/justification why you are not home, or issue fines if you are in the group of 1/2/3/whatever?

Because that was lockdown in most places implementing it.
I wish I would have been that way here--many more people would have been safe with the restricted spread if that was the implementation.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM

Is there anything else I ought to be aware of, or should put me off coming over/stick with Europe instead? Trying to make the best of 3 weeks vacation time...
For what it's worth ..... my advise as someone in the reverse situation and being in Europe at this time: I would stick with the better of both worlds - Europe.
I.e. someone mentioned in an earlier reply the PNW (The Pacific Northwest: Oregon and Washington State): forget about that part of the country, unless you like it hot - very hot. It never rains for months on end (I left when temperatures soared to 47°C and will not return until cooler weather arrives.) With wildfire smoke choking your lungs for weeks on end and visibility of only an orange haze around you all day, it is most unpleasant and unhealthy to be outside.
The same temperatures you'll possibly find in Arizona and Texas - even in September.
National Parks need to have crowd controls. Rental cars are prohibitively expensive and scarce. Hotels mostly are overpriced with very limited service - especially near National Parks. In many places authorities are unsure whether to restrict people crowds, limit restaurant-diners and other people-gatherings.
Furthermore, testing in Europe is readily available anywhere and a bargain, as compared to the USA.
Border crossings in Europe are wide open. Even the Brits are able to come over and if vaccinated, face no restrictions with proof of the accepted vaccine.
Perhaps consider Canada as an alternative to the US.
Just my two cents.
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
No directly COVID but indirectly related you might want to check out rental car prices and hotel availability before going too far down the planning. Both can be in short supply these days. Hotels are probably not a problem in urban areas about around National Parks they very well could be. You might be ok in September though since the peak summer season will have passed. PCR an antigen test are both ok for US entry.
My Bold.

Absolutely. My personal experience in June this year at Moab (think Arches, Canyonlands etc) was that my hotel price went up more than double from the time I booked to 5 weeks later (on my arrival date). I thought it was high at the time I booked.
In addition, NPs were also filled to capacity. So book early and go in early.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:02 am

This isn't good...

https://viewfromthewing.com/warning-...ly-to-the-u-s/

and there's a popup at eMed that says "wait times are more than three hours"
Old Aug 7, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward
This isn't good...

https://viewfromthewing.com/warning-...ly-to-the-u-s/

and there's a popup at eMed that says "wait times are more than three hours"
Come on, the source of this article is literally a Flyertalk thread in this sub forum.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gudugan
Come on, the source of this article is literally a Flyertalk thread in this sub forum.
Many of the bigger miles/points bloggers have their foundation in FT, and as such continue to use FT and FTers as a source for material. VFTW’s principal was previously the FT member-elected president of FT’s Talkboard.
84fiero and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.