Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Given the existence of Delta breakthrough cases for vaccinated individuals, it's not crazy to continue the blanket testing requirement. As a vaccinated individual, I certainly feel better if others flying with me have been tested. But fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not in charge of CDC or pandemic policy...
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by PlowJockey
Given the existence of Delta breakthrough cases for vaccinated individuals, it's not crazy to continue the blanket testing requirement. As a vaccinated individual, I certainly feel better if others flying with me have been tested. But fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not in charge of CDC or pandemic policy...
Incorrect. I know people who aren't getting vaccinated because not much (enforceable) requirements change for them, like airline masks and international return test rules

If CDC wants to increase vax rates, restrictions for vaxxed folks need to be lifted like this testing restriction
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Incorrect. I know people who aren't getting vaccinated because not much (enforceable) requirements change for them, like airline masks and international return test rules

If CDC wants to increase vax rates, restrictions for vaxxed folks need to be lifted like this testing restriction
I'll leave the public health policy questions to the experts and to other forums. My own opinion, however, is that we should not rely on the possible future actions of individuals too selfish or short-sighted to get vaccinated merely because they might still have to take the occasional COVID test anyway.

As to *requiring a test for international arrivals*, which is this forum and the basis for my comment, how can you dispute that barring flyers who test positive makes the flights safer for those who don't? False positives exist but that's not going to INCREASE the risk of contamination on the flights.
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:25 am

I'll leave the public health policy questions to the experts and to other forums. My own opinion, however, is that we should not rely on the possible future actions of individuals too selfish or short-sighted to get vaccinated merely because they might still have to take the occasional COVID test anyway.

As to *requiring a test for international arrivals*, which is this forum and the basis for my comment, how can you dispute that barring flyers who test positive makes the flights safer for those who don't? False positives exist but that's not going to INCREASE the risk of contamination on the flights.
Safety is not only covid-safety. Financial insecurity and poverty leads to very bad health outcomes also. Lots of people are stuck outside USA right now in less than ideal conditions, and have lost monies because of our shutting down of borders and reduced immigrant inflow. And more importantly, lots of tourist dollars are not flowing right now to developing communities due to testing rules worldwide (from US and elsewhere), which makes people hesitant to travel and spend their monies in struggling communities. You can discuss this more in omni, but if you've seen the poverty that has struck tourist-dependent economies, resulting in poorer health outcomes (i.e. less safer), we can absolutely make the case that covid rules have made us less safe overall.

The US response is incredibly selfish and supporting restrictive travel policies is basically an endorsement of deepening poverty in struggling communities.
prof, tai4de2, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Nah, it doesn't make sense to me. If there were no community transmission of COVID in the US, fine, makes sense. Ban travelers and screen all citizens returning. But let's say you are in...I dunno, Poland, and you test positive. You can't come home. To what benefit? To stop 1 person with COVID from coming home? You're not stopping or reducing the spread of COVID in the United States in any real or meaningful fashion.

That the ban doesn't apply to land crossings makes this all the more farcical. I actually think this is unconstitutional-- it feels like a 14th amendment thing to me-- but no one is challenging it because it just seems like it could vanish at any time.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by kac2138
Nah, it doesn't make sense to me. If there were no community transmission of COVID in the US, fine, makes sense. Ban travelers and screen all citizens returning. But let's say you are in...I dunno, Poland, and you test positive. You can't come home. To what benefit? To stop 1 person with COVID from coming home? You're not stopping or reducing the spread of COVID in the United States in any real or meaningful fashion.

That the ban doesn't apply to land crossings makes this all the more farcical. I actually think this is unconstitutional-- it feels like a 14th amendment thing to me-- but no one is challenging it because it just seems like it could vanish at any time.
or it could just be a money grab for testing...
LETTERBOY and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kac2138

Preventing a COVID-infected person from getting on a plane to the US absolutely reduces the spread of COVID in the US. Such a person can spread it on a plane, in an airport, on the way to a home or hotel, etc. It's not just stopping one person from coming home, It's potentially stopping many others from being infected. Infection -- just like vaccination -- happens one person at a time. The fact that there is already community spread in the US is nt relevant. We need to stop the spread however we can and a test within 72hrs of departure to the US is not an onerous requirement.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Preventing a COVID-infected person from getting on a plane to the US absolutely reduces the spread of COVID in the US. Such a person can spread it on a plane, in an airport, on the way to a home or hotel, etc. It's not just stopping one person from coming home, It's potentially stopping many others from being infected. Infection -- just like vaccination -- happens one person at a time. The fact that there is already community spread in the US is nt relevant. We need to stop the spread however we can and a test within 72hrs of departure to the US is not an onerous requirement.
Of course it is relevant (I agree it isn't onerous, I think it's just potentially infringing to people who enter the country in a different scenario completely arbitrarily). You can complete a land crossing without the negative test! Boarding the plane is a test case easily nullified by just creating a hypothetical where you're the only person on the plane. Better ways to stop the spread would be something like mandatory vaccination, not letting certain states ban vaccine passports, not telling the country to get rid of their masks, etc. I think requiring a test for international returns is in some very legally murky water. And I think it doesn't make sense to ban transit of people given the general flow of trade.
LETTERBOY and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:41 pm

If a US citizen tests positive abroad, instead of taking the direct flight back to home to jfk, the most common process now is to take a flight to Mexico City (no tests required), then fly to Tijuana, walk into US then fly San Diego to jfk.

For people who have jobs and a life, it's better to do this technical loophole long route (or bribe to get a negative test and fly) than wait around in some godforsaken country abroad for 2-3 weeks till you pass a test.

How is that safer?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
If a US citizen tests positive abroad, instead of taking the direct flight back to home to jfk, the most common process now is to take a flight to Mexico City (no tests required), then fly to Tijuana, walk into US then fly San Diego to jfk.

For people who have jobs and a life, it's better to do this technical loophole long route (or bribe to get a negative test and fly) than wait around in some godforsaken country abroad for 2-3 weeks till you pass a test.

How is that safer?
There are workarounds to almost any rule / procedure. ne would hope that if someone gets a positive test result that that person would quarantine until such time as they were retested to determine if the first test was a false positive. And I'd prefer if tests were required to cross the border by land. IIRC a test is required to enter Canada by both land oandby air (it was that way until recently).
PlowJockey and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
There are workarounds to almost any rule / procedure. ne would hope that if someone gets a positive test result that that person would quarantine until such time as they were retested to determine if the first test was a false positive. And I'd prefer if tests were required to cross the border by land. IIRC a test is required to enter Canada by both land oandby air (it was that way until recently).
It is still in effect. After 9 August, Day 1 Arrival Testing will be 'random', but a Pre-Arrival Molecular Test is still required. Exemptions for Truck Drivers and other Essential Travellers have been in effect for a while though.
Xyzzy, PlowJockey and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:13 am

I know about the land border loophole, but absent going that route, what happens? How long do you have to wait to fly after a positive test and who determines this? Is this a US rule, an airline rule, or an origin country rule?

Could I just keep taking antigen tests daily? Those are not real sensitive, so I'd think a vaccinated person may get a negative antigen test relatively quickly.

Just getting slightly nervous about overseas travel with all these unknowns.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flying back to the US on Saturday (31st). Have a Qured test kit, but no appointments available, so as good as useless. Collinson (who we've used before) at LHR T5 only show bookings available for Tues/Wed/Thursday - anyone know if this is a 3-day advance booking thing which will open up for Fri/Sat later?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Note that for flights to the US, the above-linked CDC page specifies leeway for delays outside the passenger's control:

What happens, or is supposed to happen, in August?
I'd be concerned about the delay language. What if the flight (or a connecting flight) is cancelled and the passenger is rebooked? In fact, what if the "delayed" flight is assigned a different flight number, for example as a special section when it departs the next day?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd be concerned about the delay language. What if the flight (or a connecting flight) is cancelled and the passenger is rebooked? In fact, what if the "delayed" flight is assigned a different flight number, for example as a special section when it departs the next day?
I’m confused, the flight number now has something to do with this now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.