Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by FurySt
Do you think we would be able to travel around the world during the next summer at least?
This is very generic question which depends on:
- vaccine availability at your (source) location
​​​​​​- flight availability at the destination
​​​​- access rules at the destination
​​​​​​- access rules at the source when you are coming back.
- (...and many other things)

So, most likely - no.

Keep your expectations low and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I personally don’t expect things to go back to ‘normal’ until 70% of world population is vaccinated. You can get an idea how much time it will take.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by FurySt
Do you think we would be able to travel around the world during the next summer at least?
Since the United States has only eradicated polio for just 30 years, and the vaccine started being distributed in the 1950s should give a little insight into how long it takes, even with newer technology.

And polio still exists in many countries, but mostly everyone worldwide has had the vaccine at one time or another. So, should still be immune.

I don't see any worldwide immunity up to 70% for many years to come. Most local Governments can't even contact trace and test. And it's almost a year later.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by invisible
This is very generic question which depends on:
- vaccine availability at your (source) location
​​​​​​- flight availability at the destination
​​​​- access rules at the destination
​​​​​​- access rules at the source when you are coming back.
- (...and many other things)

So, most likely - no.

Keep your expectations low and you might be pleasantly surprised.

I personally don’t expect things to go back to ‘normal’ until 70% of world population is vaccinated. You can get an idea how much time it will take.
Various governments around the world are looking at vaccine passports and talking about having them in play to stimulate business long before (if ever) we get to 70+% levels of the global public being vaccinated for this. I am pretty certain that there will be US-residing US citizens able to visit 4-5 continents will be readily possible in July 2021 with some kind of proof of vaccination or other indicated immunity for Covid-19 before July 2021 ends. It won't do much good for a chunk of this northern hemisphere winter but it should do some good for traveling around the world for the southern hemisphere winter in the middle of 2021.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
For those who are vaccinated, I am assuming it will be possible in a way then that is not the case this winter.
That is the $64000 question.

I would wager that countries will being to lift restrictions on inbound travel for people who can show proof of vaccination (perhaps similar to the yellow health card that I carry to prove my yellow fever vaccination for travel to Africa). But it isn't clear when that will happen.

I have international trips booked for June to a country that will not currently admit US residents. I am hopeful that will change but of course nobody can predict the timetable. Further it is not clear when ordinary joes (like my family) will have access to the vaccine as the first shots will be distributed to first responders and nursing homes (as they should be). However I am hoping that since a majority of people said they don't want to be dosed that we can get a good spot in line LOL
DaveS likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Mexico has a shipment of Pfizer vaccines arriving soon and will immediately start vaccinating their health care workers, with two doses 21 days apart. The additional shipments will go to the elderly and general population. Their military personnel is being tasked at handling the distribution and logistics. Maybe Mexico might end up the place to be by the spring 😁
Boraxo and DaveS like this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 2:33 am

I missed this article from earlier in November which lists the countries aiming to bring new case incidence to 0 per day (paywall):
https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-coro...ny-11604399645

According to the WSJ, the following countries are going for elimination:
China/Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Vietnam

They dont count singapore or HK I don't think, which is fair
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Expat_flyer1
According to the WSJ, the following countries are going for elimination:
China/Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Vietnam
In this case, don’t expect to visit any of these any time soon. Australia already explicitly said that borders won’t open until late 2021.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In this case, don’t expect to visit any of these any time soon. Australia already explicitly said that borders won’t open until late 2021.
Although they may be restricted to general international tourism, hotels are open in all these places and you can see high prices for the holiday season in some cities.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Although they may be restricted to general international tourism, hotels are open in all these places and you can see high prices for the holiday season in some cities.
Wander, in total absence of foreign tourists, how many local Thai/Vietnamese tourists are in their Marriott/Hilton...
Old Dec 6, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wander, in total absence of foreign tourists, how many local Thai/Vietnamese tourists are in their Marriott/Hilton...
I expect not so many in those countries. Perhaps much more in places like Sydney and Wellington.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 10:35 pm

Thailand let in 39 Chinese tourists as the first foreign tourists in 9 months. They all have to stay minimum 30 days I think. So <some> foreigners are paying for hotels I guess 😂

Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by stimpy
I expect not so many in those countries. Perhaps much more in places like Sydney and Wellington.
Yup I expect a lot of domestic tourism in OZ/NZ and other richer countries. We spent two nights in hotels in the Southern Netherlands last week, and in both properties the staff told us they just had the busiest November ever and December has very high bookings.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Yup I expect a lot of domestic tourism in OZ/NZ and other richer countries. We spent two nights in hotels in the Southern Netherlands last week, and in both properties the staff told us they just had the busiest November ever and December has very high bookings.
Trying to book anything in Australia has been expensive and limited all year. Not sure how it has been in NZ. NZ tourism industry is heavily dependent on international tourists.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I think people are too pessimistic on summer international travel

1) Governments will be highly motivated to open things up ahead of a peak leisure season (can’t lose two in a row)
2) Vaccines will have start to have been distributed to vulnerable populations in many countries
3) Rate of spread declines in the late spring and summer - low Covid numbers will convince more countries to open up
4) A bad winter of spread means more people enter spring/summer with antibodies, which reduces spread
4) Things like rapid testing, proof of vaccine, proof of antibodies will be more common

I expect international travel to open up meaningfully in late spring / early summer
84fiero, DaveS, mpkz and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:13 am

Here's Mexico's schedule for vaccinations starting any day now:

"According to the vaccination plan, the immunization of frontline healthcare workers using the Pfizer vaccine will begin this month and conclude in February 2021."

"In stage 2 of the vaccination plan, which will run from February to April, the government intends to immunize non-frontline health workers and people aged over 60, starting with those 80 or older. Immunization of people aged 50-59 will occur in stage 3 in April and May while those between 40 and 49 are to be vaccinated against Covid-19 in stage 4 next May and June.

In stage 5, the rest of the population will be immunized between June 2021 and March 2022."

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cor...cination-plan/

Edit: By the way, the military is in charge of distribution and control. No comments necessary 😄
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Dec 9, 2020 at 9:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.