Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Misco60
I agree that the changes that Sweden has announced represent a significant tightening of the restrictions around covid-19, not a loosening. That is certainly how the media, both in Sweden and abroad, is reporting them.
Until yesterday, it was advised to not visit those places at all (even if it weren't legally binding). Now they can be visited again subject to physical distancing. That's not a tightening in my view - yesterday I wouldn't be able to shop or go to a gym without breaking guidelines, today I am. That's a clear improvement as far as I'm concerned.

The new law permits the government, for the first time, to restrict the number of people in shops, businesses and public places including theatres and swimming pools, to fine individuals for flouting coronavirus rules and to order businesses to close in the case of violations.
Absolutely, but the government haven't used this power yet. The pandemic law creates a framework for more restrictions but there are none in place yet.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Individuals' failure to use masks when taking Swedish public transport is still not being acted upon for systematic approach by the public transport companies.
There is nothing to act upon as masks are not required. I avoid public transportation at rush hours due to existing guidelines but I've been intentionally looking inside buses passing around me during those hours when masks are recommended (7-9 and 16-18) and it certainly doesn't look like Swedes embraced the new guideline. Maybe 50% compliance, if I really had to travel, I wouldn't hesitate to do it without a mask too. It's not a social norm.
Kataskopos likes this.

Last edited by the810; Jan 10, 2021 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 10, 2021, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by the810
Until yesterday, it was advised to not visit those places at all (even if it weren't legally binding). Now they can be visited again subject to physical distancing. That's not a tightening in my view - yesterday I wouldn't be able to shop or go to a gym without breaking guidelines, today I am. That's a clear improvement as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely, but the government haven't used this power yet. The pandemic law creates a framework for more restrictions but there are none in place yet.
Yesterday you would have been able to shop or go to the gym -- I saw them pretty full this month in Malmo and Stockholm even before yesterday -- as the guideline was nothing but an unenforceable recommendation.

The government has already used the new legal power, and that's why there is that 10m2/person restriction coming into force -- a restriction for which violators are to be subject to a fine (of amounts to still be determined).

There is nothing to act upon as masks are not required. I avoid public transportation at rush hours due to existing guidelines but I've been intentionally looking inside buses passing around me during those hours when masks are recommended (7-9 and 16-18) and it certainly doesn't look like Swedes embraced the new guideline. Maybe 50% compliance, if I really had to travel, I wouldn't hesitate to do it without a mask too. It's not a social norm.
That's why I said "individuals' failure to use masks when taking Swedish public transport is still not being acted upon for systematic approach by the public transport companies." They don't enforce anything, as it's a toothless recommendation still.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 10, 2021 at 2:10 pm
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Yesterday you would have been able to shop or go to the gym -- I saw them pretty full this month in Malmo and Stockholm even before yesterday -- as the guideline was nothing but an unenforceable recommendation.
Well, yes, if I were to ignore government guidelines I could (I know that as I indeed broke those guidelines on certain semi-essential occasions). But people are generally generally expected to follow them - while not enforced, they are also not considered optional. If we talk about what is expected from a person in the Swedish society, things became looser today.

The government has already used the new legal power, and that's why there is that 10m2/person restriction coming into force -- a restriction for which violators are to be subject to a fine (of amounts to still be determined).
I was referring to the power to close businesses. My apologies for being unclear.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well, yes, if I were to ignore government guidelines I could. But people are generally generally expected to follow them - while not enforced, they are also not considered optional.
They are considered optional enough, as has been clear by the lack of mask use during even peak hour times for the public transport systems, by the malls being pretty full on previous weekends this year too, and so on. When there is no material enforcement even applicable to an individual for a guideline, following the guidelines is optional for the individual. That's how this country functions during this winter Covid wave.

Sweden is now a pretty stressed place to have to try to deal with the healthcare system even for emergency care, as it's very busy in many parts right now due to Covid-19's impact. With such major problems with healthcare capacity, it's not the best place to get seriously sick or have a serious accident right now.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:45 pm

Anybody who has read this far for an answer to the question, I would suggest Florida. Beaches open, all the restaurants and beach bars open. Disney and universal parks open.
the810 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by pfreet
Anybody who has read this far for an answer to the question, I would suggest Florida. Beaches open, all the restaurants and beach bars open. Disney and universal parks open.
Florida just announced their highest case counts Jan 7-9th. Also the highest death rates. I personally would not pick Florida. Now New Zealand on the other hand, I think would be a much better bet.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
lol
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by smilee
Now New Zealand on the other hand, I think would be a much better bet.
And please tell us since when NZ is open for tourists arrival? Even with mandatory 14 days quarantine, which all returned residents/citizens must go thru and pay costs?

Or you just decide to troll?
Kataskopos likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
And hey, if you're over 65 you have priority to get a free covid vaccine over cops, school teachers and other essential workers even if you're neither a resident of the state nor a US citizen.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If we talk about what is expected from a person in the Swedish society, things became looser today.
I think you are, literally, the only person in the world who thinks that Sweden has just loosened its coronavirus regulations: almost every media outlet in the world is reporting the government's actions as a significant tightening of restrictions after what many see as a disastrous experiment with keeping society open.

With by far the highest infection and death rate in Scandinavia, and its health service on the point of being overwhelmed, Sweden is probably not a particularly good place to be spending the second wave.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:12 am

I think you are, literally, the only person in the world who thinks that Sweden has just loosened its coronavirus regulations: almost every media outlet in the world is reporting the government's actions as a significant tightening of restrictions after what many see as a disastrous experiment with keeping society open..
The only things that were "tightened" yesterday are physical distancing rules in shops/gyms with a very low threshold of 1 person per 10m² (and this is in lieu of previous advice to avoid those places altogether) and a ban on renting out premises for private events over 8 people. Even if we'd agree it is tightening, it's hardly "significant". Being in Stockholm, the only difference is that few small shops have lines outside. I probably wouldn't even notice anything if I haven't been reading the news.

With by far the highest infection and death rate in Scandinavia, and its health service on the point of being overwhelmed, Sweden is probably not a particularly good place to be spending the second wave.
Literally everyone who visited me in Sweden would disagree with you, and so do I as someone who has been here for months (and had covid in Sweden). Sweden is fairly average European country when it comes to covid but they achieve that with moderate and much more reasonable restrictions than the rest.
Kataskopos likes this.

Last edited by the810; Jan 11, 2021 at 3:26 am
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:15 am

I've considered Florida but masks seem to be a thing there, that really puts me off. Otherwise I'd absolutely spend a few months there (probably using full 90 days visa-free period), while the weather in Sweden is crappy.

It would be my first choice if I were an American and unable to visit the EU though.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by invisible
And please tell us since when NZ is open for tourists arrival? Even with mandatory 14 days quarantine, which all returned residents/citizens must go thru and pay costs?

Or you just decide to troll?

I do not believe that returning citizens have to pay for the quarantine. A trio of NZ dual citizens that I know recently completed their NZ arrival quarantine and are now free to roam about the country. We briefly discussed the costs of this before they left San Diego. They did not have to pay for the hotel, but would have if they were non-residents.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I do not believe that returning citizens have to pay for the quarantine. A trio of NZ dual citizens that I know recently completed their NZ arrival quarantine and are now free to roam about the country. We briefly discussed the costs of this before they left San Diego. They did not have to pay for the hotel, but would have if they were non-residents.

Charges for managed isolation

$3,100 for the first or only person in the room (whether that is an adult or a child) with $950 for each additional adult and $475 for each additional child (3-17 years old, inclusive) sharing that room, all GST inclusive. There will be no charge for children under the age of 3 if they are staying in a room with another person.

If you are liable to pay, you will be charged per room.

Who will have to pay

If you are a NZ citizen or resident you will be liable for a charge if:
  • You are currently overseas and return to NZ for a period of less than 90 days; or
  • You leave NZ after the regulations came into effect (12.01am on 11 August 2020) and return at a later date. This includes people returning to New Zealand after travelling to Australia (including quarantine-free states and territories).
The term 'New Zealand citizen or resident' means NZ citizens (including those in the Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau) and residence class visa holders. It also includes Australian citizens and permanent residents who are ordinarily resident in NZ.

Temporary visa holders will have to pay, unless they left New Zealand on or before 19 March 2020, and were ordinarily resident in New Zealand as of 19 March 2020. Ordinarily resident means having lived in New Zealand for 183 days (six months) in total of the previous 12 months.

Everyone who is entering on a border exception as a critical worker will have to pay.

https://www.miq.govt.nz/being-in-man...ged-isolation/
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:59 pm

Interesting, based on that I wouldn’t have to pay when I thought I would have to. Not sure how it would work for my girlfriend (Aus P/R but never resident in NZ) if we decided to go to NZ for an extended period, I wonder if it would be free since we’d be sharing the same room or if there would be some kind of extra guest supplement. It must have come up a bit, I assume there’s been a lot of NZ citizens with non citizen partners heading to NZ from UK/US for the Southern Hemisphere summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.