Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: Miles and More FTL; Miles and Bonus *G; Emirates
i agree with you. I have been to Sweden around seven times since this pandemic business started and yes the country is doing like any other EU country without having forgotten its democratic values. You will, however, not be able to convince the lockdown fetishists (of course NO and FI have done better, they closed their borders, introduced lockdowns etc). Half my family in Sweden works in the healthcare and school sector, only one of them has seen a COVID case and he worked in a COVID ward in Stockholm. The pandemic exists and is around us, yet until today I know one person who got COVID in Luxembourg (where we are, sadly, in close to full lockdown) and 0 in Sweden despite my full family being there.

Originally Posted by the810
The only things that were "tightened" yesterday are physical distancing rules in shops/gyms with a very low threshold of 1 person per 10m˛ (and this is in lieu of previous advice to avoid those places altogether) and a ban on renting out premises for private events over 8 people. Even if we'd agree it is tightening, it's hardly "significant". Being in Stockholm, the only difference is that few small shops have lines outside. I probably wouldn't even notice anything if I haven't been reading the news.

Literally everyone who visited me in Sweden would disagree with you, and so do I as someone who has been here for months (and had covid in Sweden). Sweden is fairly average European country when it comes to covid but they achieve that with moderate and much more reasonable restrictions than the rest.
the810, volabam, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Iowa wouldn't be a bad idea for folks that don't want to wear a mask. The Governor just submitted a NEW proclamation:

*Ends Mask Mandate
*No Limits on Public Gatherings
*No Occupancy Limits in Restaurants and Bars

*so all you non-maskers, have at it!
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 5:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Iowa wouldn't be a bad idea for folks that don't want to wear a mask. The Governor just submitted a NEW proclamation:

*Ends Mask Mandate
*No Limits on Public Gatherings
*No Occupancy Limits in Restaurants and Bars

*so all you non-maskers, have at it!
But it’s Iowa. In the winter.
Boraxo, Sjoerd, beachmouse and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
You can't have everything.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Well, I'd much rather be in a bad weather than being somewhere where I can't go out anyway because of mask mandates.

As an European, I'm certainly not heading there but if I were in the US, it would be a good choice. If not for anything else, then because of the pragmatic approach to the pandemic.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Well, I'd much rather be in a bad weather than being somewhere where I can't go out anyway because of mask mandates.

As an European, I'm certainly not heading there but if I were in the US, it would be a good choice. If not for anything else, then because of the pragmatic approach to the pandemic.
Or you know. You could wear a mask.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:15 pm

New York City
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Isn't Iowa cold? As in really cold? -15C or something? Whether it's the law or not, my face and the rest of me would be wrapped up in layers.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:41 pm

Or you know. You could wear a mask.
No, I could not because of my medical condition. It's impossible for me to wear the thing for more than 5-10 minutes. I've tried.

Originally Posted by TheOneThatGotAway
Isn't Iowa cold? As in really cold? -15C or something? Whether it's the law or not, my face and the rest of me would be wrapped up in layers.
The location I'm in right now is around -12° at night and while I wear a warm clothing, my nose and mouth are uncovered.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It’s going to be closer to -22C this weekend there compared to the relative warmth of Stockholm at -12C.

For someone from the Upper Midwest of the US, most of the popular places in Sweden should be considered rather mild in winter.

The difference is that Sweden may end up blocking travel from way more EUropean/Schengen countries than it has and it may put up additional passport control checks while the US won’t be having internal passport control checks to cross state borders that result in removal. Sweden’s already turning away travelers from Denmark and Norway and it may end up adding more EUropean/Schengen countries to its list of bans.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 7:43 pm
Suspended

I've considered Florida but masks seem to be a thing there, that really puts me off. Otherwise I'd absolutely spend a few months there (probably using full 90 days visa-free period), while the weather in Sweden is crappy.

It would be my first choice if I were an American and unable to visit the EU though.
I'm in Florida now and the mask thing isn't really a big issue. I don't know exactly what the law is actually. It seems to vary from town to town. In some places everyone wears them in all of the shops but in other places it looks like it's only in the big supermarkets. I stopped at a 7-11 today and nobody was wearing a mask inside.
the810 and paulaf like this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Florida is a lot warmer than our northern cities right now. I've got a nice place to rent from March onward, that is right on a lake with a dock and surrounded by about 18 golf courses in the Villages
Not a problem with masks except at sales locations that require them (the government doesn't specify). Easy golf cart availability to Covid testing sites to facilitate when you fly out to other states or countries. We've loosen up our vaccination availability this week but I'm not sure where we'll be in March
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:50 am

I'm in Florida now and the mask thing isn't really a big issue. I don't know exactly what the law is actually. It seems to vary from town to town. In some places everyone wears them in all of the shops but in other places it looks like it's only in the big supermarkets. I stopped at a 7-11 today and nobody was wearing a mask inside.
Thanks for the input. I still consider it as a backup option if things went the wrong way over here, so this is helpful.

So far I'm convinced I'm in the best place there is right now as it is fairly open, with no masks whatsoever and a relatively stable situation (plus it's in the EU so I can stay however long I please and I am covered by EHIC if anything happens). Even the weather has improved and we finally get some sunshine on a regular basis, even if it's still very cold.
TheOneThatGotAway likes this.

Last edited by the810; Feb 6, 2021 at 1:56 am
Old Feb 6, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
While my part of Florida (panhandle) is the least mask-compliant part of the state, lots of people wearing them outside today because of the cold front- 50F/10C, drizzling and winds straight from Alberta make it seem far colder than it is and the mask helps one's face stay warm.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:23 am
Suspended

I'm in Panama City (the one in Florida not in Panama) at the moment possibly on my way to New Orleans and I'm feeling the cold after being in Costa Rica and Fort Lauderdale. With all the thunder and rain down south I decided it was a good time to explore a bit. The next few days look good on the west coast though so I think I might head back down to Tampa tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.