Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

 
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:58 am
  #901  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Posts: 8,507
Originally Posted by the810
That's an interesting idea, I have considered that the last summer. The upside is that it's warm so almost everything can be done outside and thus with very few restrictions. I guess it will depend on prices, if I can get a good deal on a nice accomodation, it could work.
I was in Greece last November, just before they locked down. I would say at that point the requirement to wear a mask was far more stringent than in any other other European country I visited - it moved during my stay from only indoors to all public places, including the streets. The UK, even in the current lockdown, is certainly not as strict given we don’t have to wear one outdoors, just maintain distance (and that’s on the risk advice from the scientists). The overall restriction level was certainly effective because Greece’s rates plummeted - yet now they are rising again, albeit still are notionally the lowest in Europe. The risk from your viewpoint is that the government there may well decide to return to lockdown if things don’t stabilise in order to protect their summer tourist season, and many of the things you’re trying to avoid will come back in.

Your difficulty here seems to be that you want to go somewhere with low rates to minimise personal risk, yet don’t want to have to undergo some of the restrictions that have driven those rates down. Unless you time it exactly right that’s pretty much an impossible equation, so somewhere you’re going to have to compromise.

The UK’s rate is falling, but as yet we’re not ready to accept lots of visitors and it wouldn’t be a good fit for you here at the moment. In two or three months, ahead of your July deadline, I’d expect it to be better - although mask wearing in shops is something that may well continue for several months beyond the restrictions lifting. It’s clearly also not cheap here, although still much less than Sweden.

Have you considered Poland? Cheap to live, rates coming back under control, similar middle ground restrictions as the UK. Plus they claim their vodka is better than Russia and Belarus .
the810 and DaveS like this.
NWIFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:27 am
  #902  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 3,893
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Your difficulty here seems to be that you want to go somewhere with low rates to minimise personal risk, yet dont want to have to undergo some of the restrictions that have driven those rates down. Unless you time it exactly right thats pretty much an impossible equation, so somewhere youre going to have to compromise.
Not really, I don't care too much about my personal risk (I had covid in November and I'm content with the fact that I will have it again at some point of my life). I sometimes mention the covid safety, as it is a nice extra benefit, but it doesn't have a major impact on my decision making.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Have you considered Poland? Cheap to live, rates coming back under control, similar middle ground restrictions as the UK. Plus they claim their vodka is better than Russia and Belarus .
Poland has a mask mandate outdoors which is a monumental no-no for me. Otherwise I definitely could imagine myself living in Gdansk or Warsaw for a few months.
hugolover likes this.
the810 is online now  
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:56 am
  #903  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 7,305
The down side of Florida in the summer is that the weather is miserable after 10:00 am, especially on the Gulf side.
beachmouse is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:50 pm
  #904  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 34,339
According to this article, Texas is formally ending their mask mandate.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...k-mandate.html
the810 and thewayofthefuture like this.
stimpy is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:40 am
  #905  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 3,893
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The down side of Florida in the summer is that the weather is miserable after 10:00 am, especially on the Gulf side.
What does miserable weather mean in this case? I have a very different definition of nice weather than most locals, so this might actually be a benefit
the810 is online now  
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:32 am
  #906  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SAN, BOS
Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Posts: 2,283
Originally Posted by the810
What does miserable weather mean in this case? I have a very different definition of nice weather than most locals, so this might actually be a benefit
Temperature in the 90s with enough humidity to cut the air with your hand
the810 and DaveS like this.
TravelingZoomer is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:35 am
  #907  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 7,305
Originally Posted by the810
What does miserable weather mean in this case? I have a very different definition of nice weather than most locals, so this might actually be a benefit
Once dew points get above 70F/20C, your body starts to lose evaporative cooling ability because the air is too saturated with water already to absorb the evaporation of your sweat well. I find Arizona at 105F to be a lot more pleasant than Tampa at 90F and Tampa spends a lot of time at 90F in the summer.
GUWonder, the810 and DaveS like this.
beachmouse is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:18 am
  #908  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 34,339
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Once dew points get above 70F/20C, your body starts to lose evaporative cooling ability because the air is too saturated with water already to absorb the evaporation of your sweat well. I find Arizona at 105F to be a lot more pleasant than Tampa at 90F and Tampa spends a lot of time at 90F in the summer.
Yeah but people in Sweden and other parts of northern Europe enjoy the sauna and steam room. As long as I don't have to wear much clothing, I like that sort of weather. People in Florida in the summer walk around practically nude.

Also in the hot desert environment, your body should adjust to allow you to drink lots of water. At least that's what happened to me when I lived in that environment and did not have air conditioning.
DaveS likes this.
stimpy is offline  
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:45 pm
  #909  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia City Highlands
Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Posts: 6,913
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Temperature in the 90s with enough humidity to cut the air with your hand
9:42AM, looking at the desk clock which shows 80% of humidity and 30C inside my apartment.

Welcome to Singapore (well, you can any time soon now)
HumbleBee and DaveS like this.
invisible is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:55 pm
  #910  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 11,783
Greece is pushing hard for the summer season and a Covid vaccination certificate. They aim to vaccinate literally everyone on the islands relatively quickly (they have already done it for 18 smaller islands, announced today).
They will likely push for vaccinated visitors as well though, and those without vaccines will still face quarantines and testing.

Post-Covid tourism hopes buoyed by deal between Greece, Cyprus and Israel | World news | The Guardian

Covid-19 vaccination certificate not prerequisite to travel to Greece this summer, says minister | eKathimerini.com

GTP Headlines Greece has 4-Phase Plan for Vaccination of Greek Island Residents | GTP Headlines
paulaf likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Mar 6, 2021 at 4:01 pm
nk15 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:31 am
  #911  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,593
Originally Posted by the810
Poland has a mask mandate outdoors which is a monumental no-no for me. Otherwise I definitely could imagine myself living in Gdansk or Warsaw for a few months.
Fewer and fewer people wear the mask outdoors in PL. It's not something that would bother me. You can pretty much ignore it. Most Poles wear the mask under their noses, you could carry a bottle of water ready to deploy.

Even in Okecie Airport I see various law breaking by those meant to enforce it. Eg. Police wearing no mask; police wearing a scarf instead of a mask. They know the "law" is pointless. I've also seen pax shout something at pax not wearing the mask properly, but remember, there is a history of Communism in PL so its not surprising there's a good few left.

If a police officer intended to issue a fine (which is a mere 50 EUR I think) there will be another Percy within spitting distance breaking the mask "law" in some way.

Of course, I wear three masks, for triple protection, one more than Dr Fauci recommended, both outdoors and indoors.
the810 likes this.
hugolover is offline  
Old Mar 9, 2021, 9:56 am
  #912  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VIE
Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 3,893
Originally Posted by hugolover
Fewer and fewer people wear the mask outdoors in PL. It's not something that would bother me. You can pretty much ignore it. Most Poles wear the mask under their noses, you could carry a bottle of water ready to deploy.

Even in Okecie Airport I see various law breaking by those meant to enforce it. Eg. Police wearing no mask; police wearing a scarf instead of a mask. They know the "law" is pointless. I've also seen pax shout something at pax not wearing the mask properly, but remember, there is a history of Communism in PL so its not surprising there's a good few left.

If a police officer intended to issue a fine (which is a mere 50 EUR I think) there will be another Percy within spitting distance breaking the mask "law" in some way.

Of course, I wear three masks, for triple protection, one more than Dr Fauci recommended, both outdoors and indoors.
Thanks. Good to know it's not followed too much. We were in Gdansk in October and took a day trip to Sopot. It turned out that was a red zone, with compulsory masks outdoor, but the only enforcement was a police car driving up and down the main street with a loudspeaker playing a message about masks. Of course everyone ignored it

Poland remains one of backup options for me, depending on how things go here in SE, so this is very helpful - thank you! But for the time being, no mask mandate is better than an unenforced mask mandate. I try to avoid exactly the type of situation where I get into fights about masks with people - that's why I've been avoiding the US for example.


​​​​
hugolover likes this.
the810 is online now  
Old Mar 26, 2021, 2:31 pm
  #913  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Programs: Starbucks Gold
Posts: 186
Just heard that the specific island of Phuket will open for vaccinated people without a quarantine starting July 1. Govt expects to have vaccinated 70 per cent of island pop by then. Details in due course but a good sign.

Bob
Bob Saccamano is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2021, 10:32 pm
  #914  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia City Highlands
Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Posts: 6,913
Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
Just heard that the specific island of Phuket will open for vaccinated people without a quarantine starting July 1. Govt expects to have vaccinated 70 per cent of island pop by then. Details in due course but a good sign.

Bob
And before getting too excited, Id recommend go to Thailand forum to check with people who live there at this moment get some reality and adjust expectations.
invisible is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2021, 9:41 am
  #915  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 29,543
The thread is closed due to low activity as it is no longer winter in the Northern Hemisphere and some folks have started discussing where to spend the summer.

/mod

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 7, 2021 at 12:45 pm
NewbieRunner is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.