Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:30 pm

Bear in mind the Austrian ski resort cluster may have kicked off the Covid wave all across Europe...
Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
with common sense most activities are manageable from safety prospective - the question is how many people resorts can afford to allow safely while still making some profit... if that number is not high enough they may not want to open.. or just open the slopes and not any indoor spaces or shuttles and limit lift/gondola access..
All the resorts here in California, Utah, Colorado are making plans to open with reduced capacity. These days resorts rely on season tix for guaranteed revenue. Day trippers will be out of luck, as will the apres ski bars and restaurants that can't survive with well spaced tables. Personally I won't be dining inside but hopefully room service will be an option.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:11 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Bear in mind the Austrian ski resort cluster may have kicked off the Covid wave all across Europe...
Exactly, nobody will want another Ischgl (Gesundheit !) so I think government will be very wary to open ski resorts. Specially that the beginning of skiing season will be in the middle of winter where in theory, the pandemic will be at its peak seasonality.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Austrian government already announced rules for the winter season - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-alpine-slopes

Personally, I'm afraid they are going to suffer the same way Spanish tourist industry did this summer. Too many restrictions taking fun out of it.
DaveS and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by lmk
Re: Turkey, does anyone know if they actually stamp your passport on arrival and departure? To re-enter South Africa we need to produce proof in our passports (not a separate document like an e-visa) that we were in a low-risk country for 10 days.

Also, does anyone know how readily available COVID tests are in Turkey? To re-enter SA we will need to produce documentation of a negative PCR test dated within 72 hours from departure.
COVID tests are available at the airport quite cheaply, but there can be a few hours queuing involved. Head over to the Turkish Airlines forum as this is discussed there. I think they will stamp your passport.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:57 am
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Thanks, are they PCR tests?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by lmk
Thanks, are they PCR tests?
Yes, have a look at this thread Covid PCR Test at IST Airport
Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by the810
I'm aware this does not rule out targeted meassures suggested earlier, but that's very different from a lockdown presented in some media recently. This shows that general trend is to (very slowly) relax meassures rather than introduce new draconian ones like in the rest of Europe. If the worst Swedish government considers is quarantining close contacts of people who tested positive, then that's still much better than pretty much anywhere else in Europe.
I have been in Stockholm for two weeks now and I can tell you it is the most relaxed, enjoyable and - frankly - civilised place I have been in the last six months.

I intend to stay here as long as the weather remains at least tolerable. After that, Tanzania is looking like the most viable option, with Brazil also on the list.
Boraxo, yvrcnx, exbayern and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I have been in Stockholm for two weeks now and I can tell you it is the most relaxed, enjoyable and - frankly - civilised place I have been in the last six months.

I intend to stay here as long as the weather remains at least tolerable. After that, Tanzania is looking like the most viable option, with Brazil also on the list.
Are new infections quite stable in Sweden right now?
We are planning to now fly to Stockholm in 2 weeks since the other countries we were looking at have imposed entry restrictions which are just not worth it at this point and we love Stockholm. Have been there almost every year for the last few years during summer as well as October and November and we really don't mind if it's not always sunny.

We would be comming from Switzerland and want to try to gage as much as possible if there is a chance that Sweden goes on CH's risk country list, though in that case we would just do a one way and fly back to Germany or another country.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:00 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Infections in Sweden are increasing, testing positivity rate is increasing while testing numbers are decreasing again.
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
We are planning to now fly to Stockholm in 2 weeks since the other countries we were looking at have imposed entry restrictions which are just not worth it at this point and we love Stockholm. Have been there almost every year for the last few years during summer as well as October and November and we really don't mind if it's not always sunny.

We would be comming from Switzerland and want to try to gage as much as possible if there is a chance that Sweden goes on CH's risk country list, though in that case we would just do a one way and fly back to Germany or another country.
To be honest, I have no idea what the infection figures are. The only thing I monitor is what restrictions are in place or likely to be put in place.
yvrcnx and the810 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:20 pm

Infection rate per 100,000 inhabitants in Stockholm County

Week 39: 39
Week 38: 23
Week 37: 13
Week 36: 11
Week 35: 10
Week 34: 15
Week 33: 18
Week 32: 15
Week 31: 12
Week 30: 14

It seems to have been stable but then it started to increase from week 38.

Source: https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/...all-i-sverige/
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Infection rate per 100,000 inhabitants in Stockholm County

Week 39: 39
Week 38: 23
Week 37: 13
Week 36: 11
Week 35: 10
Week 34: 15
Week 33: 18
Week 32: 15
Week 31: 12
Week 30: 14

It seems to have been stable but then it started to increase from week 38.

Source: https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/...all-i-sverige/
Thank you for this information. It does look like it has increased almost to double from week 38. We still have another week or so to decide and I'll monitor their numbers to see how things go but we'll most likely go either way as long as there aren't major entry restrictions.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Thank you for this information. It does look like it has increased almost to double from week 38. We still have another week or so to decide and I'll monitor their numbers to see how things go but we'll most likely go either way as long as there aren't major entry restrictions.
I think it is unlikely that Sweden will introduce any special entry restrictions. I certainly hope they don't, as I may very well be leaving my car here for a month or two while I head off to Tanzania.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In ski news, it looks like Andorra is going all out to get ski tourists this winter.

https://www.lugaresdenieve.com/notic...-este-invierno
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.