Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to spend winter during a potential second wave of COVID?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by the810
It is also important to note that the health is more complex issue than just not getting infected with the virus. The main reason for my hostile position towards extreme restrictions is the impact they had on my health, which deteriorated severly since March. Ironically, I'm now more likely to have a severe progress when I get infected, thanks to all those restrictions..
Wishing you a return to good health. I too have had long term and also permanent damage from COVID impacting access to non-COVID related care and treatment. It's important to remember that some of us cannot wait until this is all over to live life. Nobody is guaranteed a future but some of know that our future is already shorter. My winter decisions are based on similar ie where can I go that I won't be so impacted by restrictions, and if I need medical attention, I won't be facing closed hospitals and lack of access to medical care as I did in the springtime.
the810, DaveS and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Have hospitals been able to handle the situation in a better way in other countries with significant virus outbreaks?

They suspended a lot of other health care because they needed the doctors and nurses for covid-19 patients. I was supposed to go to the dentist's in April, but this was postponed for November. It could be postponed again if hospitals are filled up with too many patients. Just a regular check, but I'd like to know if I have any cavities.
If you mean did big hospitals in the US get an administratively-planned, pre-emptive ramp-up in police presence to deal with the potential of lots of people being angry about the hospitals refusing to admit people that would have been presumptive Covid-19 patients? Not so much as in Stockholm. Did US hospitals suspend a lot of health care procedures because they wanted to preserve resources and capacity for Covid-19 patients? Yes, "elective procedures" paid the price (with being postponed, cancelled etc.) ... and that was even where having elective procedures may not have meant a lack of beds and staff availability.

If you mean did big hospitals in India get an administratively-planned, pre-emptive ramp-up in police presence to deal with the potential of people being angry about the hospitals refusing to admit people who would have been presumptive Covid-19 patients? Yes. Did Indian hospitals suspend health care procedures because they faced resources and capacity issues? Yes, and"elective procedures" there too were a sort of casualty of this pandemic.

That said, I have no doubt that it would have been easier to get admitted into a hospital with Covid-19 around NY during the worst of the Covid-19 peak there this year than it would have been to do so in Sweden or India at times this year.

People who ignore the access/availability and quality of emergency health care during their trips do so at their own peril, even at the best of times. Will this winter during a pandemic be commonly viewed as being among the best of times to seek emergency health care?

Originally Posted by Im a new user
If you are looking for a place where you'd be safe from the virus, try an uninhabited island.
Uninhabited islands don't fly so well except for those who can make a go of being a survivalist hermit in the wild.

If a person is looking for a place to spend winter during a pandemic like this, try a place where good emergency health care access has been and remains less likely to be a problem.
Bago'peanuts and bensyd like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Come back and let us know how your Tanzania trip went. Never been but may consider it one day.
Having lived for many years in Tanzania I can definitely recommend it! Very few countries will be able to offer you anything comparable to e.g. Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti and Kilimanjaro. The nature of this country is just absolutely incredible. It is indeed everything you have seen on National Geographic, and so much more!
On top of that, the people are just so relaxed and welcoming.

Negatives about Tanzania:
1) Expensive park fees, payable per day her head, and little competition makes it an expensive destination compared to e.g. South Africa.
2) Customer service is not what you would find in your usual crowded tourist destinations. Things are just slow and laid back, that the the entire culture.
3) Currently they act like Corona doesn't exist. I believe it is the right move for the country as a whole overall, but this also means that you will meet airport staff not wearing masks when you arrive.
ExpatExp, the810, DaveS and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I'm just going to jump in here and mention something that most people are forgetting. It can take up to 3 months for your body's immune system to increase if it is currently very low. So, the best thing we can do to help prevent viruses and bacteria from taking hold is the good intake of nutrition, especially in the coming winter months. Simple Prevention is very important at normal times especially now in uncertain times combining with travel.

I'm not a doctor, but there's mega scientific research that concludes Zinc, Vitamin D and Quercetin (which are all simple cheap vitamins) can greatly improve your immune system and prevent viruses from taking hold. Studies on deceased covid-19 patients revealed that the majority were deficient in zinc and/or vitamin D. Many of which had brown skin that can't easily absorb vitamin D by the sun. So, in addition to figuring out the best medical care where you're traveling to, it's better to try and prevent getting sick from the get go. Like getting your zinc and vitamin D blood levels tested and raising your immunity. Staying away from sugary drinks to prevent tooth decay. Or just making sure you brush after every meal to keep the dentist away. Prevention is the key. Happy winter travels.
yvrcnx, the810 and PVDtoDEL like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Goaguy
Having lived for many years in Tanzania I can definitely recommend it! Very few countries will be able to offer you anything comparable to e.g. Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti and Kilimanjaro. The nature of this country is just absolutely incredible. It is indeed everything you have seen on National Geographic, and so much more!
On top of that, the people are just so relaxed and welcoming.

Negatives about Tanzania:
1) Expensive park fees, payable per day her head, and little competition makes it an expensive destination compared to e.g. South Africa.
2) Customer service is not what you would find in your usual crowded tourist destinations. Things are just slow and laid back, that the the entire culture.
3) Currently they act like Corona doesn't exist. I believe it is the right move for the country as a whole overall, but this also means that you will meet airport staff not wearing masks when you arrive.
Definitely my kind of place!

I spent 8 days in Moshi in 2017 and absolutely loved it. I am really looking forward to exploring more of the country. I am prepared for the price increase compared to my usual winter boltholes in South Africa and the relaxed pace of life is not an issue at all. If there's one thing I have in abundance this winter, it's time.

As regards the third point, that is one of the main reasons why I'm going. My opinions are well known (and rather unpopular) on this forum, so I won't revisit that.
the810 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Goaguy Thanks for the additional information on Tanzania. According to the "official" numbers Tanzania has less than 30 deaths related to covid-19. And less than 600 cases ever recorded. It's suspected that many people within the African continent may be naturally immune to the disease because of prior antiviral drugs taken for other ailments. It's only a guess right now. Hope they do some serious research to find out. I've added Tanzania closer to the top of my travel list now. Thanks again!
the810, DaveS and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Goaguy Thanks for the additional information on Tanzania. According to the "official" numbers Tanzania has less than 30 deaths related to covid-19. And less than 600 cases ever recorded. It's suspected that many people within the African continent may be naturally immune to the disease because of prior antiviral drugs taken for other ailments. It's only a guess right now. Hope they do some serious research to find out. I've added Tanzania closer to the top of my travel list now. Thanks again!
Africa has certainly been less affected than the 'experts' predicted. A look at the ECDC images posted on the other thread shows that clearly. I spend a lot of time in Africa and was in Sierra Leone during Ebola. I am not convinced by natural immunity. However, many African countries are good at implementing simple, effective and comprehensible measures and following them. In Sierra Leone they made track and trace work well.

Back on Tanzania, I spent some time in Mwanza which is very nice and laid back. Not very many foreigners either. You are within easy reach of Zanzibar and Pemba by ferry or air. I am not sure if Zanzibar has any entry restrictions though. I have spent time in Dar and like most big cities anywhere it is better to get out as soon as possible!
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DaveS
Africa has certainly been less affected than the 'experts' predicted. A look at the ECDC images posted on the other thread shows that clearly. I spend a lot of time in Africa and was in Sierra Leone during Ebola. I am not convinced by natural immunity. However, many African countries are good at implementing simple, effective and comprehensible measures and following them. In Sierra Leone they made track and trace work well.

Back on Tanzania, I spent some time in Mwanza which is very nice and laid back. Not very many foreigners either. You are within easy reach of Zanzibar and Pemba by ferry or air. I am not sure if Zanzibar has any entry restrictions though. I have spent time in Dar and like most big cities anywhere it is better to get out as soon as possible!
Check out median age by continent to see a big part of why chances of death for the Covid-19 infections may be way lower: Africa's median age is close to 18 years of age. To put it in perspective: Asia and South America have a median age of around the low 30 years of age; and non-FUSSR Europe has its median age in the low 40s. On a country-basis, the US is around the mid-30s while Canada is in the low 40s (i.e. around the same median age as non-FUSSR Europe).
DaveS likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Check out median age by continent to see a big part of why chances of death for the Covid-19 infections may be way lower: Africa's median age is close to 18 years of age. To put it in perspective: Asia and South America have a median age of around the low 30 years of age; and non-FUSSR Europe has its median age in the low 40s. On a country-basis, the US is around the mid-30s while Canada is in the low 40s (i.e. around the same median age as non-FUSSR Europe).
I have no doubt median age is an important factor, as is weather. Southern Africa has a cool winter and they had problems during that, but things are improving along with the temperatures. I still maintain that simple measures that do not need a legal expert to understand or vary from one town to another are important.
the810 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:12 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Czech Republic goes back into full lockdown, effective tomorrow.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Czech Republic goes back into full lockdown, effective tomorrow.
As many European nations enter full lockdown, cities/states as diverse as San Francisco, New York and Florida have announced further easing over the past week...
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Greece has all night establishments close between 11pm and 1am right now, depending on location, but a midnight curfew for everyone is forthcoming nationally, along with other measures.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
The first round of lockdowns could be justified by buying time to asses the new situation, get some data and prepare health care services. Second round of lockdowns is simply a sign of incompetence and unability to come with any meaningful solution. Unfortunatelly, most of Europe is trying to use the same set of meassures that didn't work elsewhere (or before), instead of considering we may have to do it a different way.

Czechia is a fine example, with government essentially becoming a random restriction generator, losing public support with every new meassure, without achieving any improvement at all...

Meanwhile, Nordic and Baltic countries with light, non-invasive meassures are leading the score. Yet, no one wants to see it and follow their example. I might as well buy winter boots and plan to stay here until the spring...
yvrcnx and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by the810

Meanwhile, Nordic and Baltic countries with light, non-invasive meassures are leading the score..
There are big differences between those countries: Sweden has many more deaths per capita than the others.
And could it be that 1) having lots of space (low population density) and 2) a culture in which people keep distance from each other in the best of times help a lot?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:27 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Norway is doing a good job too, as well as Finland. I assume as Sjoerd points out that mostly rural areas helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.