Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
In North America wearing a mask when not required has become a public assertion of "moral superiority" similar to driving a hybrid or being a vegetarian.
BLV and LonghornDXB like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by radonc1
Sadly, for those of us who have been in this business for a while.....

Showing factual data to those who have their own "opinion" on health care information is a real waste of time.

People are non-compliant for many reasons. I have long ago given up trying to either discover why that is, or convince such people that perhaps they should rethink their ideas.
It is worse than you think. People think that following science or trying to do good or be a nice person in general is because you are trying to show off and being pretentious, not for the inherent value and motives of such actions, lol...See the post below yours...
747FC likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by nk15
It is worse than you think. People think that following science or trying to do good or be a nice person in general is because you are trying to show off and being pretentious, not for the inherent value and motives of such actions, lol...See the post below yours...
Its all about ME!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’m frustrated by so many differing statements about masks and social distancing. And I’m being challenged by family members who want more freedom. Can someone answer a couple of specific questions for me?

1) If sitting 6’ apart inside (for ex, a restaurant or even private home), is a mask still desirable or needed?
2) If sitting 6’ apart outside, is a mask unnecessary?
3) If walking in an interior space (I.e. store) where few are wearing masks, will an N95 mask protect wearer significantly?
4) Do UV rays “clean” masks? If so, how long for exposure to clean?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
In North America wearing a mask when not required has become a public assertion of "moral superiority" similar to driving a hybrid or being a vegetarian.
Alone, jogging on a sparsely populated trail outdoors, yes. Completely ridiculous to do so or insist on it.

The people who understand the viral load and aerosolized transmission ranges indoors and out who selectively wear a mask when themselves and others are at risk, do not fit your description above. This is "required" no matter what a government might say.

Being a vegetarian is about controlling what is inside your own body. Demanding everyone else be a vegetarian, is more appropriate of the person you are trying to describe.

I would argue that you can generalize more about the person who does not wear a mask where indicated than you can by someone who does.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:27 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I’m frustrated by so many differing statements about masks and social distancing. And I’m being challenged by family members who want more freedom. Can someone answer a couple of specific questions for me?

1) If sitting 6’ apart inside (for ex, a restaurant or even private home), is a mask still desirable or needed?
2) If sitting 6’ apart outside, is a mask unnecessary?
3) If walking in an interior space (I.e. store) where few are wearing masks, will an N95 mask protect wearer significantly?
4) Do UV rays “clean” masks? If so, how long for exposure to clean?
1. It is if you are not of the same household. This is even more true if the activity involve spitting more droplets: talking loudly, singing, etc... To help mitigate the risk in addition focus on having a clean air circulation: open windows and use ventilators.
2. No assuming this is not a crowded area.
3. Not sure about this. The point of mask is “you protect me, I protect you”.
4. If you are using cloth masks: treat them as underwear. One day usage, clean with hot water and soap or washing machine. Dry outside. If using surgical mask: 30 minute in an oven at 70 degrees Celsius, without touching the metallic part of the oven. UV is good enough in between use. I let mine hang outside for a few hours if I need one for a morning outing and an evening outing.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis

1) If sitting 6’ apart inside (for ex, a restaurant or even private home), is a mask still desirable or needed? There may be an issue if there is directional airflow or if one person is shouting, coughing, singing. I would not go to an indoor restaurant at all since people can't wear masks there. Outdoors, 6 feet is fine, especially if sunny. Private home is different if you know where the people around you have been and what their own personal mitigation strategies are.
2) If sitting 6’ apart outside, is a mask unnecessary? Unnecessary if neither of you are sick or coughing.
3) If walking in an interior space (I.e. store) where few are wearing masks, will an N95 mask protect wearer significantly? Fit matters way more than material for how well the wearer is protected. That being said, a store involves transient passing exposure to others compared to being in a car with someone or at the same table for 30 minutes. Don't forget hand washing after going to that environment, too.
4) Do UV rays “clean” masks? If so, how long for exposure to clean?UV or sunlight is a natural disinfectant for viruses. A mask stored indoors can be used every 4-5 days but a mask left in sun for a few hours can probably be used next day. Expose both sides equally to the UV. UV is used to disinfect hospital rooms but it is a measured dose.
I'll take a stab at it. See my answers in RED above.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:34 am

The UK just announced wearing a mask will now be mandatory on public transport in England, with planes specifically mentioned (though of course with all UK Government announcements that may change).
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
I'll take a stab at it. See my answers in RED above.
I don't usually do this, but I must say your prescriptive posts have been very helpful to me and have helped me model my behavior in public places. Thank you.
(I specify your prescriptive posts, because tbh the more epidemiological discussions frankly go mostly over my head. But intelligent discussion there gives credence to your suggestions here.)
wrp96, ajGoes and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by nk15

I think it goes well beyond that. This pandemic is a terrible thing. There can be lots of room for finger pointing and I’ve done my share but the major villain in this is the virus. And we shouldn’t be depending on a miracle or someone else entirely to make it go away or at least get it under control. We all have to contribute to that by wearing a mask, social distancing and staying out of large crowds, especially indoors if we want to get this pandemic under control. People need to wear a damn mask.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by 747FC
Its all about ME!
And it should be!
I don't wear a specific kind of mask or even at all because someone says/tells me that I should.
I wear a mask to protect myself. Period end of sentence. I wear one kind of mask at work due to materials being used and a different kind when it is to protect others. I wear masks in various areas in Asia due to industrial pollution (china) and smoke from forest burn offs (Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore) and I wear a mask on a plane because it's required to board and I need to get somewhere and it's also to protect ME!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
And it should be!
I don't wear a specific kind of mask or even at all because someone says/tells me that I should.
I wear a mask to protect myself. Period end of sentence. I wear one kind of mask at work due to materials being used and a different kind when it is to protect others. I wear masks in various areas in Asia due to industrial pollution (china) and smoke from forest burn offs (Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore) and I wear a mask on a plane because it's required to board and I need to get somewhere and it's also to protect ME!

Stopping this pandemic helps you. People without symptoms not spreading to other people helps the person without symptoms because it facilitates a return of economic activity. The accurate term for self interest is typically “enlightened self interest”. The “enlightened” part means something.
8420PR, jmastron and ajGoes like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Stopping this pandemic helps you. People without symptoms not spreading to other people helps the person without symptoms because it facilitates a return of economic activity. The accurate term for self interest is typically “enlightened self interest”. The “enlightened” part means something.
I'll drop this on the way out. Darwin was correct.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:06 pm

I'll drop this on the way out. Darwin was correct.
Well, he certainly was but while this post is so cryptic I’m not certain I understand it I’ll add a bit. What Darwin referred to as survival of the fittest meant reproductive survival of the fittest. Since most of those with very bad cases of coronavirus are well past reproductive age, coronavirus likely has virtually no impact on survival of the fittest in a Darwinian sense. In addition, no matter what their age, the more people who are sick the more everyone is adversely impacted, even if a given person isn’t sick, due to the economic impact on everyone. That’s why wearing masks helps everyone. Even if they don’t realize it, the virus does.
ajGoes and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:29 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
And it should be!
No you wear a mask to protect others. You might not realise it or you deny it because it goes against your views of the world but that is how it is. A mask barely protect you except in a care unit settings. In every day lives it does not, it protect others. And by consequence of the greater good, then you as part of society.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.