Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by doctoravios
Yes, as you would expect. This is a pandemic. You would expect number of active cases to rise at the beginning when there is no population immunity. Assuming the numbers you have quoted are accurate (which they won't be because they will almost certainly underestimate the true number of cases), that is a mean doubling time of around 5 weeks (but obviously not the current doubling time which is likely to be much greater).

If you compare that to the mean doubling time of countries like the US/UK over the past couple of months, the Czech Republic has done much better than other countries. Believe me, having just over 2,000 active cases now compared to around 500 active cases a couple of months ago is a real marker of success!
You also have to add in the fact that testing is becoming more prevalent and therefore cases will rise especially in countries where such testing was probably not common in the beginning of the pandemic.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by doctoravios
Yes, as you would expect. This is a pandemic. You would expect number of active cases to rise at the beginning when there is no population immunity. Assuming the numbers you have quoted are accurate (which they won't be because they will almost certainly underestimate the true number of cases), that is a mean doubling time of around 5 weeks (but obviously not the current doubling time which is likely to be much greater).

If you compare that to the mean doubling time of countries like the US/UK over the past couple of months, the Czech Republic has done much better than other countries. Believe me, having just over 2,000 active cases now compared to around 500 active cases a couple of months ago is a real marker of success!
I don't dispute that (though I believe there are other factors than masks), but my point is that if masks were supposedly necessary when there were 500 cases, it's rather strange that suddenly when there are 2000 cases, they are not. Since the beginning of this mass panic, I maintain an opinion that meassures will not be withdrawn because of changes in the epidemiological situation but rather because of changes in public opinion once people realise this is not temporary and what the real costs are (financial or social). And this is also the only explanation I have for the drift in public opinion towards masks.

By the way, Austria will also soften the mask requirement from mid-June, requiring them in fewer places than before (e.g. they will no longer be compulsory in shops).
rustykettel likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The Finnish Ministry of Health carried out a meta-research (research of researches) on the usefulness of facemasks - the results were published yesterday and they show explicitly that face masks have negligible or no effect at all. Until now Finland has not had even an official recommendation for the public to use masks. The latest polls show that only about 8% of Finns use masks - still we have weathered the storm better than most.
BLV, the810 and LonghornDXB like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Do you have a link please? I need to satisfy my confirmation bias
Old May 30, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Since the pandemic started, I have been seeing a huge amount of self-hating by many Americans.
It basically boils down to stuff like

"We westerners are bad, we thing about individual rights, and that is why we are dying and refusing to wear masks"
"Look at those Asians, they are so good, their culture values sacrificing individual freedom for societal good, they are all following rules without questioning, they so good"
Self-hate?? No, it's disgust at the people who aren't willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience in order to save a very large number of people. 100% mask compliance when they realized it was needed and the death rate would be heading for zero by now.
GadgetFreak, TXguy and ajf87 like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by the810
Do you have a link please? I need to satisfy my confirmation bias
"Research has shown that widespread use of face masks have little or no effect on reducing the spread of upper respiratory infections, according to a report presented a government-appointed working group led by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health (MSAH) on Friday."There is no scientific evidence for its use," Emerita Professor Marjukka Mäkelä said at a press briefing to unveil the report.

The report was commissioned by the government to determine if there were grounds to recommend the widespread use of masks to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus. It looked at commercial mouth and nose coverings for use by members of the public as well as home-made masks."

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/r...k_use/11376476
the810 likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"Research has shown that widespread use of face masks have little or no effect on reducing the spread of upper respiratory infections, according to a report presented a government-appointed working group led by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health (MSAH) on Friday."There is no scientific evidence for its use," Emerita Professor Marjukka Mäkelä said at a press briefing to unveil the report.

The report was commissioned by the government to determine if there were grounds to recommend the widespread use of masks to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus. It looked at commercial mouth and nose coverings for use by members of the public as well as home-made masks."

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/r...k_use/11376476
Looking back at the Finnish Ministry of Health's opinion on masks for the past 2 months, it has always been anti-mask. Therefore, they may be only looking at evidence that confirms their own beliefs. Either that or they are really beholden to WHO.

Yet it is the right of every citizen to protect his/her own health in spite of government opinion if evidence proves otherwise. Not sure the virus spreads much differently there than in any other country.
Old May 30, 2020, 3:50 pm
BLV

Except the guidance for social distancing is different for various countries. The virus is smart that way. It doesn’t spread more than a meter in Europe and six feet in US
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Mike Maks
Except it's not about that at all. This is about COMPLIANCE.
Please tell me why are people now wearing those damned mask when before the COVID-19, mask-wearing wasn't an issue?
The numbers are in line with most flu seasons, so why are you hysterical now. What's the change?
AND DEFINATELY A NO when you say mask-wearing is "a bit of inconvenience".
In fact, mask-wearing is very much a health hazard which leads to HyperCapnia.
a) if the seasonal flu had no effective treatment, no vaccine and nobody with immunity (because it's seasonal), it would VERY MUCH ALSO be a big deal.
b) mask wearing most definitely is "a bit of inconvenience". Especially when you precede that by saying "covid isn't bad at all it's just like the flu" and then "masks are a health hazard"? no.
c) why do people wear masks now when before covid19 it wasn't an issue - rhetorical question? The answer is obvious.
d) cases are most definitely not "in line" with the seasonal flu, both cases and deaths. And it's only May. WITH social distancing/lockdown efforts worldwide.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I think everyone needs to just ignore the troll who has come in here and still somehow compared coronavirus to the flu. Let them be confused and ask themselves over and over again how anyone could be treating coronavirus any differently from the flu...
estnet, 8420PR and ExpatExp like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Yet it is the right of every citizen to protect his/her own health in spite of government opinion if evidence proves otherwise. Not sure the virus spreads much differently there than in any other country.
Nobody forbids anyone wearing any sort of masks if (s)he so pleases - it's just the government hasn't issued any recommendations (or decrees) to wear one.

As said, the latest polls show 8% of Finns ever used a mask. When I went to do some shopping in the largest mall around here, I saw 3 locals and a Chinese couple wearing a mask out of many hundred shoppers. Still, the excess deaths in March (or was it April?) were negative - less people died than in the previous year. Currently we have a grand total of 68 people hospitalized and 10 people in IC - not bad, out of 5,5m, I daresay.
LonghornDXB likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Mike Maks
In fact, mask-wearing is very much a health hazard which leads to HyperCapnia.
It's true . Surgery residency is the riskiest job on earth.
We wear masks 10-12 hours a day and thousands of these young surgeons keep dropping dead of hypercapnia (only one capital letter needed, BTW) in the middle of their cases.
We have to accept 500 to our surgical residency program just to graduate 12 who can survive the 5 years of mask wearing.

The poster's last name is an anagram of "mask" too. How cute.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:12 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ajf87
IMO the medical exemption is nonsense (along the lines of ESAs). If your breathing is already so compromised that you're unable to wear a mask/face covering you shouldn't be flying.

So you are saying anyone with a medical condition should not fly?

Its not that they are flying, its that adding a layer directly over their nose impairing them is detrimental.

What does it matter anyway? It affects nobody else, just walk by and ignore it.

As for the ESAs, its along the same scale as "medical marijuana". Same scam, different name.
LonghornDXB likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill

Its not that they are flying, its that adding a layer directly over their nose impairing them is detrimental.

It matters because it is an airline cabin safety policy, and unlike other times, you can seriously injure someone with your own breath.
There is not one medical condition in which wearing a loose-fitting ear loop mask for a flight is a contraindicated if the flight itself is not contraindicated.
estnet, GadgetFreak, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill

It does matter, it means they can spread disease much more easily. That's the entire point of requiring face coverings in the first place.

As for the ESAs, its along the same scale as "medical marijuana". Same scam, different name.
Medical marijuana is prescribed by a physician... and what does that have to do with selfish idiots exploiting loopholes in order to skirt public health guidelines?
estnet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.