Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by freecia
There's some concerns about mask causing heat exhaustion as warmer weather comes https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...in-summer.html I imagine it will be really difficult in some areas.
It may be a concern but mask wearing outdoors (where it would be hotter) is not as mandatory as it is inside. Protecting a sun drenched park table or the grass or sand on the beach from your viral load is not nearly as important as protecting the hard surfaces inside your home or workplace which can harbor viral droplets much longer, and are more likely to be touched by others. Sunlight is a potent deactivator of viruses. https://www.newsweek.com/sunlight-ki...entist-1500012

There is zero reason to wear a mask outside unless you are closer than 2m to those around you.

Originally Posted by ajf87
I saw a woman at the grocery store wearing her N95 upside down - the wire was on her chin.
Yes, and many others who wear it right side up, don't pinch the metal band.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:37 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by username
I went to Costco today. They require masks and even hand them out, at least at this one, at the door if you didn't have one.

Then I went to the Kroger supermarket and Target. Most customers were NOT wearing masks like a week or two ago (most of the employees were). My state's count is still going up. This is not good.
However anyone claiming a medical reason for not wearing a mask, they are exempt.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:51 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by ajf87
I saw a woman at the grocery store wearing her N95 upside down - the wire was on her chin.
I'd rather see people wear their N95 upside down our poor sealed then no mask thank you
Old May 12, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
My point about N95's with the one way valve was a general one since we often see them outside of ER's, yet people think they qualify for pandemic protection. It has nothing to do with the study, but a mask that is one-way N95 is less effective from a societal perspective than a cloth mask. We see them all the time and if you see one, realize that person is not reducing the viral load in your shared space.

Masks are for protecting SOCIETY, not just the wearer in a pandemic of asymptomatic spread. When you put on a mask, your primary job is keeping your viral load out of the air and off surfaces because your intervention is directly at the source.

If your mask is one way, then you are derelict in your duty to protect those around you from your own asymptomatic spread. A HCW who has tested negative today or is proven immune from prior clinical infection, and is immersed in virus in her environment is the only exception.

completely agree with this. And way upthread there was commentary about contracting it through the eyes. I had mentioned that this was very common with other types of virus, and provided some references. So here is the pre-print paper re-confirming that this is likely an issue. Dont just wear a mask, protect your eyes too in close quarters. At least sunglasses maybe??

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...05.09.086165v1
estnet and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:33 pm

It's also worth pointing out that scientific articles may not be "Truth", either. People in these professional and academic spheres learn how to read papers, look up citations, assess credibility, examine for bias, wait for reproducible results based on the published methods (which can take years), and otherwise look at the validity of paper's findings and conclusions. Lack of data to support an opposing theory could also be lack of studies due to funding or interest. Some news sources tend to gloss over this in the desire to provide "news". It might not be obvious to people outside these spheres that an academic article, even in published state, could be false or incorrect.
It's even worse when said "news" sources don't even read the source article or misrepresent it to suit their own agenda.
Could you please come over here and help me spread that word: Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting
Old May 13, 2020, 3:37 pm

How HK stopped the virus in its tracks thanks to past experience, the innovation of its people, and, of course, masks.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...avirus/611524/
Old May 13, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Vanity Fair: If 80% of Americans Wore Masks, COVID-19 Infections Would Plummet, New Study Says
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...new-study-says

“It sounds too good to be true. But a compelling new study and computer model provide fresh evidence for a simple solution to help us emerge from this nightmarish lockdown. The formula? Always social distance in public and, most importantly, wear a mask.”
Here's a nice video and simulator from UC Berkeley to help folks visualize the point being made above. https://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~deka...9K1HocVwREdi7I
Old May 13, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
We wore N95s covered by fabric 2-layered masks to Costco recently. My thinking here was I could wash the fabric mask but not the N95 (and want to be able to re-use). Thoughts on this?

Also, per FlyBitcoin’s comment above, what about outside without mask but stationary. I can see how walking through the park would be low risk but what about sitting outside at each end of a picnic table? Inquiring teenage minds want to know. 😐
Old May 13, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
We wore N95s covered by fabric 2-layered masks to Costco recently. My thinking here was I could wash the fabric mask but not the N95 (and want to be able to re-use). Thoughts on this?
Lots of hospital workers are doing this to prolong the life of the N95s.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Here's a nice video and simulator from UC Berkeley to help folks visualize the point being made above. https://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~deka...9K1HocVwREdi7I
If everyone is wearing a mask it is almost like herd immunity...This needs to be mandated immediately for any indoors activity everywhere, and any outdoors with any proximity.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nk15
If everyone is wearing a mask it is almost like herd immunity...This needs to be mandated immediately for any indoors activity everywhere, and any outdoors with any proximity.
What is considered “proximity”? 6’ does not seem far enough to me. I’ve been operating (on walks) with around 15-20’ but of course others don’t always behave the same.
nk15 likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
What is considered “proximity”? 6’ does not seem far enough to me. I’ve been operating (on walks) with around 15-20’ but of course others don’t always behave the same.
I agree, that should be the minimum outside. The 6-20 feet range outdoors should require masks. Mask-less over 20 feet away.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 12:50 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
How HK stopped the virus in its tracks thanks to past experience, the innovation of its people, and, of course, masks.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...avirus/611524/

The first two points have evidence, the 3rd does not, it is just a theory that masks can stop a virus on its tracks.

then again HK is very congested, and not like Indiana or Colorado

Australia discourages mask wearing by normal people, and they also had one of the best responses to the virus

And I am sure Wuhan residents wore masks in January (at least to a greater extent than any western country)
the810 likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
It's also worth pointing out that scientific articles may not be "Truth", either. People in these professional and academic spheres learn how to read papers, look up citations, assess credibility, examine for bias, wait for reproducible results based on the published methods (which can take years), and otherwise look at the validity of paper's findings and conclusions. Lack of data to support an opposing theory could also be lack of studies due to funding or interest. Some news sources tend to gloss over this in the desire to provide "news". It might not be obvious to people outside these spheres that an academic article, even in published state, could be false or incorrect.There's some concerns about mask causing heat exhaustion as warmer weather comes https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...in-summer.html I imagine it will be really difficult in some areas.
In one part of the middle east you are seeing construction workers in 40C temps wearing masks in 10 hour shifts. Before masks, it was not uncommon to have heat strokes on a regular basis, one can imagine that would go up

The new woke thing now is to quote "science" as a justification for anything and everything; as if there is just one version of science

New rule to make mask wearing compulsory outdoors even if its a rural area - we are just following science

NY will require 40,000 ventilators (though they required less than 10k) - we are following science

Close everything for the next 6 months - we are following science

Stop people going to beaches even if its not crowded - that's just science
Old May 14, 2020, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
In one part of the middle east you are seeing construction workers in 40C temps wearing masks in 10 hour shifts. Before masks, it was not uncommon to have heat strokes on a regular basis, one can imagine that would go up

The new woke thing now is to quote "science" as a justification for anything and everything; as if there is just one version of science

New rule to make mask wearing compulsory outdoors even if its a rural area - we are just following science

NY will require 40,000 ventilators (though they required less than 10k) - we are following science

Close everything for the next 6 months - we are following science

Stop people going to beaches even if its not crowded - that's just science
these people have turned "science" into a religion
LonghornDXB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.