Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
As I said, it is a slippery slope, offices have been reopening here, and some have already mandated wearing masks the entire duration of an 8 or 9 hour shift at a desk job (no food or tea/coffee allowed during this time, plus no takeaway, eating means leaving the office building to go to a restaurant, though most have not opened dine-in yet!).
Those policies are all going to have some way to facilitate people removing masks to eat and drink as needed.

I've had periods where I was working in cleanrooms in conditions like that for months at a time, but with a full bunny suit in addition to the mask. I know many people who spend a large fraction of their career all dressed up in bunny suits, sometimes double masked and with sleeves taped closed. I've never heard anybody complain about it, or even bring it up. It's not even something that even comes up in conversation, other than the amount of time it takes to get dressed to get into the cleanest cleanrooms.

Also - have you ever measured your blood oxygenation in an airplane? It drops quite a bit because of the effective elevation they pressurize the cabin to. Probably more so than you'll see from any mask.
estnet, rickg523 and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
1)A more recent study involving 159 healthcare workers aged 21 to 35 years of age found that 81% developed headaches from wearing a face mask.3 Some had pre-existing headaches that were precipitated by the masks. All felt like the headaches affected their work performance.

2) another study of surgical masks found significant reductions in blood oxygen as well. In this study, researchers examined the blood oxygen levels in 53 surgeons using an oximeter. They measured blood oxygenation before surgery as well as at the end of surgeries.4 The researchers found that the mask reduced the blood oxygen levels (pa02) significantly. The longer the duration of wearing the mask, the greater the fall in blood oxygen levels.
Not a single real HCW in the line of battle cares one bit about this, nor is there even the shred of a movement to change how HCW are masked before CV19 or during CV19.

The human body has ways of compensating for this minimal change that have zero short term or long term effects beyond the stress of the surgery itself on the surgeon.

And when the group affected most by a "study" doesn't care about the results, then you shouldn't either.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:28 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by erik123
For those that have traveled with a mask long haul. What is your recommendation for the best mask to get?
Mask for safety or mask to pass the minimum need regulation from airline/government?

I just did my first set of flights since lockdown; was N95 for about 4 hours, not anything like my old time 18 hour TPAC with connnect. No way could I wear the N95 even with only 1/2 strapped for that long.

I guess I might have three kinds, the lame surgical, N95 and my respirator ( haven't used it but looks pretty extreme, LOL ). I am anxiously awaiting for my MIC one as pictured, we'll see if it is more comfortable.

Last edited by chipmaster; May 16, 2020 at 12:46 pm
Old May 16, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
For those that have traveled with a mask long haul. What is your recommendation for the best mask to get?
The one you're most comfortable with. Remember, if you're not symptomatically sick (in which case, please don't fly at all), the idea is to try and keep the virus - if you have it - from leaving your face and infecting someone else.
ExpatExp and wrp96 like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Mask for safety or mask to pass the minimum need regulation from airline/government?

I just did my first set of flights since lockdown; was N95 for about 4 hours, not anything like my old time 18 hour TPAC with connnect. No way could I wear the N95 even with only 1/2 strapped for that long.

I guess I might have three kinds, the lame surgical, N95 and my respirator ( haven't used it but looks pretty extreme, LOL ). I am anxiously awaiting for my MIC one as pictured, we'll see if it is more comfortable.

That looks like a dust/pollution-type mask, with exhalation valves? If so, it will indeed be a lot more comfortable, however they’re designed to protect the wearer from said dust/pollution, and they do little or nothing to filter or deflect exhalations (with or without added virus from the wearer’s upper respiratory tract).

Mostly people and authorities don’t seem to care, since the main reason for requiring or advising people to wear any sort of face covering seems to be to be seen to be ‘doing something’, but if one is going to wear a face covering it is worth taking care not to contaminate ones own face and/or hands when putting it on or taking it off and while storing it after use...
(You may well know all that, but it’s worth repetition since others often don’t!).
Old May 16, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by DrMarkMicro
That looks like a dust/pollution-type mask, with exhalation valves? If so, it will indeed be a lot more comfortable, however they’re designed to protect the wearer from said dust/pollution, and they do little or nothing to filter or deflect exhalations (with or without added virus from the wearer’s upper respiratory tract).

Mostly people and authorities don’t seem to care,
SF Bay Area health department orders on face coverings specifically call out those types of masks (with one-way valves for exhalation) as ones that do not meet their requirements, FWIW.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by econ
SF Bay Area health department orders on face coverings specifically call out those types of masks (with one-way valves for exhalation) as ones that do not meet their requirements, FWIW.
Well that’s good, but fairly unusual from what I’ve seen from some US, Canadian, U.K. and Australian ‘Official’ sources I checked out of interest a few days ago.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
The face masks with a one way valve are popular because they're cool looking, and the placebo effect is even greater.
Old May 16, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by econ
Not only do they not "meet requirements" there is evidence that the valves result in INCREASED pressure of exhalation which could increase the distance an infected person spread virus - there's a reason these are not allowed!
Old May 16, 2020, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
If everyone is wearing a mask, it doesn't matter if the masks have a valve or not, as long as the masks are good at filtering out the virus from entering.
​​​​
Also, most valves tend to vent to the sides, so still better than no mask at all.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by narvik
If everyone is wearing a mask, it doesn't matter if the masks have a valve or not, as long as the masks are good at filtering out the virus from entering.
​​​​
Also, most valves tend to vent to the sides, so still better than no mask at all.
I would disagree -- that might be true if everyone were wearing an N95 properly fitted, which we're not, and if we were *only* concerned about inhaled droplets, which we're not -- droplets entering via the eyes (we're not all wearing goggles), getting elsewhere on the face to touch and move later after you've washed your hands and think you're safe, or getting on other surfaces to be touched.

I admit I grabbed a few N95s with valves (on the front) at the beginning of all this, before realizing the valve is great when all you're worried about is inhaling smoke/paint fumes/etc, but are useless for protecting others. If someone here gets sick we might use them for the rest of us if we have to be nearby, but won't use them in public and I absolutely think they should be disallowed wherever masks are required, unless covered by another cloth mask.
estnet, littlefish and ajGoes like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The face masks with a one way valve are popular because they're cool looking, and the placebo effect is even greater.
They're also more comfortable. I use that type for woodworking and other dust producing stuff and much prefer them over ones without a valve.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by rustykettel
They're also more comfortable. I use that type for woodworking and other dust producing stuff and much prefer them over ones without a valve.
And they're good for that - and were okay for use during high pollution (smoke after fires near me - air pollution in Bangkok) but not for protecting us from asymptomatic spreaders.
Old May 17, 2020, 6:11 am

Re: "Exhaust valves" on N95+ masks

I wrote this back on March 1st, 2020:
"Also: the recommendation to wear a mask if you are sick should probably include the important distinction between N95 masks with a valve and those without. If you exhale whilst wearing a N95/N99/N100 mask that has a valve, the droplets get spewed out "unfiltered"!"

My concern at the time was that there was absolutely no distinction made when the CDC/W.H.O. was promoting the idea of only sick people having to wear masks.
If only infected/symptomatic people wear masks the need for non-vented types is/was MUCH more important than if everyone wears masks.
This apparently 'newly' discovered issue with the masks' exhaust valve seems to be rather late!
Old May 17, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by jmastron
...covered by another cloth mask.
This is a great suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.