Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 6:27 pm

I've been wearing masks since early March and will throughout the rest of the year. Even it's a 1% chance of helping, I will do it.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
CNN reported that the heads of the FDA, CDC, and NIAID (Hahn, Redfield, and Fauci) will go into "modified quarantines" working from home, for fears of having been exposed to the virus.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ro...rtan-ntp-feeds

They will be hiding at home out of shame for not wearing masks and embarrassing the US...When outside of home, they will be wearing masks to hide their embarrassment...
They are going into quarantine since they were exposed to an individual who recently tested positive.
When you have close contact with an infected individual, whether you wore a mask or not at that time has no bearing based on current guidelines.

Originally Posted by littlefish
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...567v1.full.pdf
They have been proven to be very effective at reducing droplets expelled from others mouths..

Yes, this is one of the reports which gives some strong and clear data around the effectiveness of facemasks, including sewn fabric masks.
There is a known but clever improvement of adding a nylon stocking layer.

The graphic at the top of page 7 gives a great summary and comparison.
Seven of the ten masks caught over 70% of droplets emitted from the wearer. In addition, all three of the commercial masks caught over 85%.

That is a lot better than NIL!!

So, once again a good percentage of people wearing masks, in high contact situations like public transport and shops, provides a huge reduction in surface contamination and also a significant lowering of aerosol transmission risk.
This layer of anti Covid-19 measures is especially powerful as it works just as well on asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people.
It works well in parallel with good Covid-19 hygiene.
It is invaluable for reducing transmission risk where normal social distancing is impracticable.

I'm sure there are downsides too and where extra research can fine tune optimal behaviours for Covid-19 phases. For example, how often should one change masks? How to clean or safely re-wear?
Fabric masks should be washed or left out in the sun. If you can't do either, rotate every 6 days.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...3Dihub#ecomp10
Click on the .pdf tables.
Remember these are log charts so each drop of "1" is a 10x decline in viral load.

Also if 80% of people wear masks that collect 70% of droplets, then only 1 out of 4 possible viral droplets ends up in air and on surfaces compared to nobody wearing a mask.
If viral load is reduced by 4x, what will that do to the R value of the virus? How much will that lower case severity since new cases might pick up fewer virions and give their immune system a head start.
adrianlondon and littlefish like this.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; May 10, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Old May 10, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
They are going into quarantine since they were exposed to an individual who recently tested positive.
When you have close contact with an infected individual, whether you wore a mask or not at that time has no bearing based on current guidelines.
Yes, but if everyone was wearing masks to begin with in all their WH meetings, then there will be less exposure and perhaps less need for a full quarantine.

It is unbelievable that there are potentially presymptomatic people in the WH and are shading virus left and right, because they are not wearing masks. The WH is the only place in the US that is not following the precautions any other single indoors work establishment in the US is required to follow, lol, this is pure lunacy....
narvik likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to Costco today. They require masks and even hand them out, at least at this one, at the door if you didn't have one.

Then I went to the Kroger supermarket and Target. Most customers were NOT wearing masks like a week or two ago (most of the employees were). My state's count is still going up. This is not good.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
At last...

UK public advised to wear face masks under lockdown easing plan

The public will be advised to wear face coverings in crowded places and wash their clothes regularly, as the government imposes “smarter controls” to limit the spread the coronavirus until a successful treatment or vaccine is found.
Source: The Guardian
narvik likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by username
I went to Costco today. They require masks and even hand them out, at least at this one, at the door if you didn't have one.

Then I went to the Kroger supermarket and Target. Most customers were NOT wearing masks like a week or two ago (most of the employees were). My state's count is still going up. This is not good.
We need a hashtag #boycottshopsthatdonotrequiremasks or maybe someone can come up with a better one! Some of the shops in NYC have signs saying "Masks are mandatory to enter this shop at the request of our customers".
estnet likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
UK public advised to wear face masks under lockdown easing plan...
AMAZING that this took ¼ of a year to be implemented!
Old May 11, 2020, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by narvik
AMAZING that this took ¼ of a year to be implemented!
Ah, but the suggested washing of one's clothes came out of nowhere.
Anyone worried laundry detergent will be sold out for months?
Old May 11, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM

In a pinch: use Washing Soda, aka: Soda Ash, aka: Sodium carbonate, aka: Na₂CO₃.
That shouldn't run out anytime soon!
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
All cleaning materials were out of stock in my local supermarket a few weeks ago but they are back now. The only thing that’s hard to get at present seems to be flour (and yeast). There’s no shortage of flour, according to reports, but they can’t keep up with packaging for retail sales.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Relevant articles on wearing masks.

Journal of the American Medical Association: Masks and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Angel N. Desai, MD, MPH, David M. Aronoff
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2764955

”Primary benefits of wearing a mask include limiting the spread of the virus from someone who knows or does not know they have an infection to others. Masks also remind others to continue practicing physical distancing. However, nonmedical masks may not be effective in preventing infection for the person wearing them.“

Vanity Fair: If 80% of Americans Wore Masks, COVID-19 Infections Would Plummet, New Study Says
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...new-study-says

“It sounds too good to be true. But a compelling new study and computer model provide fresh evidence for a simple solution to help us emerge from this nightmarish lockdown. The formula? Always social distance in public and, most importantly, wear a mask.”
estnet and artemis like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Relevant articles on wearing masks.

Journal of the American Medical Association: Masks and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Angel N. Desai, MD, MPH, David M. Aronoff
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2764955
However, nonmedical masks may not be effective in preventing infection for the person wearing them.“
"May" is not a very scientific word. I'll give you some numbers....

Here is some data on various cloth masks. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252
They can be quite effective, and WAY more effective than the N95's with the one-way valve in front.
Fit is very important. They need to cover fully and have two firm points of fixation. The ones that use ear loops may not be snug enough to prevent significant leak around edges.
And if your homemade mask is too thin (say 2-ply of thin cotton) then add a cut piece of paper towel in between those layers and discard at end of day.

Masks have been the standard of care in operating rooms and hospitals and around immunosuppressed patients for decades. If they didn't work then they would not be used.
The burden of proof is on those who wish to prove that masks DO NOT work to prevent viral spread.
narvik likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
In reviewing this thread from inception, it is very interesting that the tone of many posts went from "masks don't help" to "masks help." within the span of two+ months. Very, very interesting how society is so quick to change.
ExpatExp, narvik and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by 747FC
In reviewing this thread from inception, it is very interesting that the tone of many posts went from "masks don't help" to "masks help." within the span of two+ months. Very, very interesting how society is so quick to change.
That describes me well. The official government guidance I read back then (in the UK) was that masks were not recommended for the general public, which did seem a bit odd, but I went with it. Now after much changing government advice, it's clear that masks are helpful. I'm also now located in a place where masks are required whenever you leave home, so I've gotten used to wearing a mask every day, and it's both comfortable and easy to do. It's also easy to get a huge variety of cloth masks online, in various styles and colours, so you can pick something different every day.

Very much in the pro-mask camp now
747FC likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
"May" is not a very scientific word. I'll give you some numbers....

Here is some data on various cloth masks. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252
They can be quite effective, and WAY more effective than the N95's with the one-way valve in front.
Fit is very important. They need to cover fully and have two firm points of fixation. The ones that use ear loops may not be snug enough to prevent significant leak around edges.
And if your homemade mask is too thin (say 2-ply of thin cotton) then add a cut piece of paper towel in between those layers and discard at end of day.

Masks have been the standard of care in operating rooms and hospitals and around immunosuppressed patients for decades. If they didn't work then they would not be used.
The burden of proof is on those who wish to prove that masks DO NOT work to prevent viral spread.
Don't tell that to my reviewers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.