Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How do you see travel being able to resume - new measures?

Old Mar 31, 20, 6:15 am
Original Poster

When we get to a situation where many Western countries have dramatically reduced their number of Coronavirus cases and they each lift their lockdowns, how do you envisage foreign travel can resume? Countries relatively virus free will not want travellers bringing it back in, but where they rely heavily on tourism it will be an impossible decision. What measures could make it possible? 14 day quarantine on arrival is not a solution for business or leisure travellers only now for those returning home eg to China. Is it conceivable testing would be rolled at airports before departure, say at airport entrances so the terminal and onwards is virus free, or will it just be country specific like when the travel bans started? Hope the UK is not blacklisted as we started the lockdown late. Obtaining immunity letters like Germany are starting will only help small proportion of people who have had the virus. Trying to find hope for September trip. Does anyone know what airports or airlines are planning? Thanks
Billyfergus likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
This is a very fluid situation and there are no firm answers. I personally would not plan any trips at the moment, in part because your refund/change options will be limited by airline and insurance policy changes.
KRSW, T8191, Jaunt411 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
This is a very fluid situation and there are no firm answers. I personally would not plan any trips at the moment, in part because your refund/change options will be limited by airline and insurance policy changes.
I'm not planning any new ones, i have 3 trips booked yet the furthest one out being September which I am trying to remain hopeful about, I know about the cancellations options.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm working on the assumption that the will be no travelling for our family in the summer holidays. Not a happy message!
af fp, Internaut and Owenc like this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:29 am
Original Poster

I'm working on the assumption that the will be no travelling for our family in the summer holidays. Not a happy message!
OK then think about October, why would a country let you in then?
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
I wonder if testing requirements will be very high
Maybe a negative test the day before travel
Timeline:Peak April
Widespread testing May
Loosening of restrictions June
KRSW and paulaf like this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
OK then think about October, why would a country let you in then?
I have no idea what happens in October. But again, I'm planning nothing for the foreseeable future (and I tend to book travel fairly last-minute anyway).
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Do you think that'll be UK wide or do you think things will have calmed down enough that UK holidays could be possible?
Obviously we're all just guessing here. I have a lot of travel booked over the next few months and so I'm just taking things as they happen. Not cancelling anything, but also not booking anything new.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
This morning I decided to depress myself by checking our booked holiday destinations for the rest of the year. A fairly wide geographic and (dare I say) cultural and economic spread. I really didn’t see any prospect of restrictions being relaxed, although I certainly agree with the OP’s perspective on Tourism-dependent nations. But equally, how robust are their medical facilities, with the risk of them being overwhelmed if visitors exacerbate their local problems?

Malta ... airport closed to commercial flights. 14-day Q on arrival by other means. Flights in May imminently CNX anyway.
USA ... travel ban from, inter alia, UK and Schengen. Escalating rates suggest nothing relaxed soon!
Antigua ... airport closed to commercial flights. Overnight curfew, etc. 14-day Q on arrival by other means. How long can they cope without Tourism?
South Africa ... from UK POV, no entry. Airspace and Borders closed. Maybe by December if we're lucky.

Keeping Calm, even if not currently Carrying On! 😎
paulaf likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 31, 20 at 12:28 pm Reason: South Africa
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Johnson & Johnson released news yesterday that they have found a lead vaccine candidate and human clinical studies could commence at the latest September 2020. January could then be the first dates for vaccines to be available as emergency use.

To me this says a lot about the time scales we are dealing with.

The full announcement is easily found on the JnJ homepage, smack right as you land on it.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by layz View Post
Do you think that'll be UK wide or do you think things will have calmed down enough that UK holidays could be possible?
Obviously we're all just guessing here. I have a lot of travel booked over the next few months and so I'm just taking things as they happen. Not cancelling anything, but also not booking anything new.
I really don't know what to think. Certainly the restrictive travel measures will be in place for a while longer (May/June). Then there will be the question of the impact on the tourism infrastructure (hotels/restaurants/airlines). And I suspect people will be a lot more cautious/conscious of how they travel.
Jaunt411 and Owenc like this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk View Post
Johnson & Johnson released news yesterday that they have found a lead vaccine candidate and human clinical studies could commence at the latest September 2020. January could then be the first dates for vaccines to be available as emergency use.

To me this says a lot about the time scales we are dealing with.

The full announcement is easily found on the JnJ homepage, smack right as you land on it.
Yes I'm aware of this so realistically vaccines for all not until late Q1 after medical and vulnerable people first. Can tourism areas survive that long or will economic pressures grow?
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
One way to restart the system is that countries (or maybe parts of countries eg states) are declared , for simplicity sake, clean or unclean. Travel between clean areas would be allowed. Anyone trying to travel from an unclean area. Some limited travel from unclean into clean areas may be allowed but people would need to quarantine on arrival. travel between unclean areas really shouldn't be allowed or they will never become clean.
Owenc likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:49 am

My view is something akin to the existing yellow fever cert. No cert, no entry.
Old Mar 31, 20, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acucobol View Post
My view is something akin to the existing yellow fever cert. No cert, no entry.
Vaccine dependant then? So no foreign travel worldwide until Q1 or Q2 2021, is that realistic no economy can survive that.
Owenc likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: