Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How do you see travel being able to resume - new measures?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you see travel being able to resume - new measures?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:10 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by LondonElite
My point is that if you send people back to work and open up restaurants and bars, you'll quickly have a significant part of the population in hospital, or off work again, which will slam the economy. There is no black and white solution, it needs to be managed carefully. But going for herd-immunity is completely debunked.
These lockdowns aren't slamming the economy? Goldman is estimating an annualised 34% drop in US GDP in Q2, and if these lockdowns continue then their forecast bounce-back in Q3 ain't going to happen.

Forget the Great Recession of 2008 - this is going to be 30s era Depression...
Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am optimistic about the development of sensitive point-of-care tests to detect active infection and immunity but less optimistic about a vaccine. But the thing to remember is that eventually this virus will become endemic with a natural pattern of (possibly seasonal) infection and a general degree of population immunity which waxes and wanes from time to time, regardless of whether we are able to successfully develop a vaccine. However, when we will reach this point remains uncertain. I initially predicted some point between 12-18 months from February this year but SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 is unusual in so many ways I think it is now impossible to meaningfully predict the epidemiology.

On the other hand, there will be enormous economic and political barriers to enabling international travel again. Airlines are in ruin. Business travel will remain depressed for years after the pandemic is over and this will affect supply/demand for international travel. I know practically nothing about economics but I do wonder if this is going to be a greater barrier to re-enabling international travel over the next few years than the pandemic itself.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: aa plat / hilton gold / Caesar’s diamond / IHG sapphire elite
I agree. I did book a super cheap box ticket to Lima in November, but fully know that I might be wasted money. Having SOMETHING upcoming curtails some of my withdrawal symptoms. Have a GREAT day and CHEERS!
James91 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
These lockdowns aren't slamming the economy? Goldman is estimating an annualised 34% drop in US GDP in Q2, and if these lockdowns continue then their forecast bounce-back in Q3 ain't going to happen.

Forget the Great Recession of 2008 - this is going to be 30s era Depression...
Agree we can't bounce back if the lockdowns continue past Q2!
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: Free agent
I had a big post typed out about how screwed we are because of bad leadership and slow response time but I think it's been belabored enough.

We're past being able to fix this without a depression.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I would be amazed if I get on another plane, anywhere at all, this year (and I really do need a holiday somewhere nice - or at least a home office somewhere nicer than my bedroom)! Given the effects on the economy, I'm not even sure the old normal we took for granted will be possible. Sorry for the pessimism.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:02 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stan1162
I just don't understand the infection testing vs antibody testing.. I mean I understand it, but I don't know without antibody testing as well, what real information we are getting. I am sure I had it early March. If I was tested today, I would test negative. So what would that tell someone? That test doesn't know I've already had it. I could test negative everyday, unnecessarily being tested ( waste of testing).
Then there are those who haven't had it, and get tested today and test negative today, they might get infected after the test, and bam 2 days later are actually positive, shedding the virus.. Do we test people everyday??
Only testing those showing symptoms? We know many have it without symptoms ( read below to see that doesn't work), so that doesn't work. Testing everybody? Thats impossible. What does that even show, only the at that minute positives. Not the ones who will be positive tomorrow, nor those who have had it and recovered.
I am honestly trying to understand.Today on NPR the CDC Director, Dr. Robert Redfield, actually gave some sobering statistics regarding asymptomatic patients:
One of the [pieces of] information that we have pretty much confirmed now is that a significant number of individuals that are infected actually remain asymptomatic. That may be as many as 25%. That's important, because now you have individuals that may not have any symptoms that can contribute to transmission, and we have learned that in fact they do contribute to transmission.
And finally, of those of us that get symptomatic, it appears that we're shedding significant virus in our oropharyngeal compartment, probably up to 48 hours before we show symptoms. This helps explain how rapidly this virus continues to spread across the country, because we have asymptomatic transmitters and we have individuals who are transmitting 48 hours before they become symptomatic.
Thats the issue at hand, that there are asymptomatic spreaders, and hence social distancing for the entire country because we can't test every single individual in the US. The question that follows with what you have asked is why do we test in the first place? For a test that confirms an active infection, the purpose would be to diagnose and guide treatment. For a test that shows a previous anti-body response, it just gathers data of past response to an infection which can be used for epidemiology purposes. I agree, the more clinically useful one is the one that confirms an active infection.

The perfect world would be to test the entire population, and isolate the active individuals who are both symptomatic and asymptomatic. Due to an imperfect world, social distancing/self quarantine is the best that we have for the entire population due to resource constraints. Tests can help guide physicians to make the proper diagnosis and treatment plan for the front line staff.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
I wish I had a crystal ball or time machine to be able to look 75 years in the future, to look back at what is going on today and be able to ask, "Was it worth it? What were the right decisions? What were the wrong decisions?" Without large-scale, real data on the population (read: testing the majority of people, symptomatic and asymptomatic), any arguments about it today turn into emotionalism or political bickering. I think it may well be 50-75 years before a true objective answer can be ascertained.
One big mistake is not a strict enough lockdown and people not wearing masks. If there was a complete lockdown, Covid-19 might be nearly over in a month. Even in the lockdown states, marijuana and gun shops are open.

I don't know of any countries that has the capacity to test everyone maybe every month. If the US did that, it would need a billion tests every 3 months.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Even in the lockdown states, marijuana and gun shops are open.
And there lies a large slice of the problem. Some States (0h, blessed States’ Rights) just aren’t taking this seriously enough. And until they do, the people won’t take it seriously enough either.

I assume a new ,357 S&W, or associated semi-jacketed HP ammo, and a slab of weed is deemed “essential”? Or perhaps for re-election purposes??
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by wchinchen
Thats the issue at hand, that there are asymptomatic spreaders, and hence social distancing for the entire country because we can't test every single individual in the US.
Up to 60% people who get it might be asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild that they ignore it and get on with life*. I pay little attention to the tinfoil hat wearers, but I can't say I blame them either - from a certain perspective, it's perfect in it's capability to disrupt life and critical systems life and civilisation depend on, including travel. I'm actually thinking of starting to wear a face mask when out for my exercise (and I'm very doubtful as the effectiveness of those).

* Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ve-no-symptoms - "Chinese researchers estimate that 59% of those who contracted the virus had mild or no symptoms. Documents seen by the South China Morning Post reportedly showed more than 40,000 asymptomatic patients that would not have been included in China’s total number of infections of more than 80,000."
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
Up to 60% people who get it might be asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild that they ignore it and get on with life*. I pay little attention to the tinfoil hat wearers, but I can't say I blame them either - from a certain perspective, it's perfect in it's capability to disrupt life and critical systems life and civilisation depend on, including travel. I'm actually thinking of starting to wear a face mask when out for my exercise (and I'm very doubtful as the effectiveness of those).

* Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ve-no-symptoms - "Chinese researchers estimate that 59% of those who contracted the virus had mild or no symptoms. Documents seen by the South China Morning Post reportedly showed more than 40,000 asymptomatic patients that would not have been included in China’s total number of infections of more than 80,000."
Imagine how low the mortality rate really is if we could measure it including all these stats.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf
Imagine how low the mortality rate really is if we could measure it including all these stats.
Mortality rate is probably very low, while infection rate is through the roof. Example, Given a population of 60 million: 20% get it, 0.1% of those die. You're looking at two problems:
  • A lot of dead people
  • A collapsed health system (and bonus knock on effects).
Though if the 0.1% assumes good healthcare, then it will be higher anyway since health resources won't be sufficient. Hence government efforts to protect health systems around the world. We're all just a number now.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
One way to restart the system is that countries (or maybe parts of countries eg states) are declared , for simplicity sake, clean or unclean. Travel between clean areas would be allowed. Anyone trying to travel from an unclean area. Some limited travel from unclean into clean areas may be allowed but people would need to quarantine on arrival. travel between unclean areas really shouldn't be allowed or they will never become clean.
Unclean to unclean doesn't really do any harm. You either quarantine and test or you don't, anyone who doesn't has no expectation of becoming clean until they have herd immunity, whether naturally or through a vaccine. Only the countries enforcing quarantine should have their borders closed.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
New Zealand is going through an interesting "experiment" right now, effectively shut down the whole country (from what i can tell among the strictest policies of Western countries) and allied to the fact that we are far away from most places and an island nation, it seems conceivable that we could effectively eliminate the virus. But then what? Do we keep our borders closed for 12/18/24/36 months? Maybe allow travel to and from some small pacific island neighbours?
Sobering and depressing thought. Our family holiday to Europe in December is looking highly unlikely, expensive J tickets on Qatar and non refundable hotels likely to be a write off.
If you stamp it out what you should do is quarantine all new arrivals, including citizens.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
My point is that if you send people back to work and open up restaurants and bars, you'll quickly have a significant part of the population in hospital, or off work again, which will slam the economy. There is no black and white solution, it needs to be managed carefully. But going for herd-immunity is completely debunked.
And note that if you do open up the economy that doesn't mean people will go along with visiting the lion's den. People have been in denial but I don't think many will be for long when the bodies are piling up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.