Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
The one you're most comfortable with. Remember, if you're not symptomatically sick (in which case, please don't fly at all), the idea is to try and keep the virus - if you have it - from leaving your face and infecting someone else.
But how would I know without trying it on? That's why I am looking for recommendations for those that have worn one 10 hrs+
Da5id likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
If everyone is wearing a mask, it doesn't matter if the masks have a valve or not, as long as the masks are good at filtering out the virus from entering.
​​​​
Also, most valves tend to vent to the sides, so still better than no mask at all.
Just not true. If everyone wore a mask with valves, the air and surfaces would have plenty of viral load ready for people to touch their eyes, nose and mouth with.

Mask wearing is the ultimate risk-sharing proposition.
You protect the surfaces and air around you by wearing a mask that doesn't have valves so your exhaled viral load ends up in the mask predominantly.
The FIT and material of the mask you choose will determine what kind of protection you get when you inhale.

You sit in my area with one of those, either you wear the paper one over it, or one of us will be changing seats.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Mask for safety or mask to pass the minimum need regulation from airline/government?

I just did my first set of flights since lockdown; was N95 for about 4 hours, not anything like my old time 18 hour TPAC with connnect. No way could I wear the N95 even with only 1/2 strapped for that long.

I guess I might have three kinds, the lame surgical, N95 and my respirator ( haven't used it but looks pretty extreme, LOL ). I am anxiously awaiting for my MIC one as pictured, we'll see if it is more comfortable.

Add me to the "I don't think I could do 12-15 hours in a mask" list. I can barely make it through the grocery story (required here) nor can I do 12-15 hours under normal conditions without getting really twitchy. Thinking about 12-15 hours in a mask just gives me the willies. So, long-hauls are out for me until the mask requirement is rescinded.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I find it very easy to wear a cloth mask, and very comfortable (they are required in public where I am). However, I have also found that all cloth masks are not the same, and some feel much different than others. If someone finds a cloth mask uncomfortable, I might suggest trying a few different cloth masks. Countless types can be found in stock online, and I've ordered and received many different types of cloth masks in the last month. My favourites are from the local tailor shop, which is making surgical style cloth masks out of two layers of soft cotton.

Wearing my 3M N95 all day would, however, be uncomfortable.

I like the ideas above about N95 with a cloth mask over it. If I have to fly anytime soon, I will try that
Old May 17, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Re: "Exhaust valves" on N95+ masks

Around these parts, requirements for 'mask wearing' are generally quite vague, i.e. "face covering" or "face shield" is used most of the time which seems all-encompassing, and [regrettably] also includes the person in line in front of me with a thin scarf that was supposed to be supported by her ears, but kept falling off as she was talking to other people in line.
This is of bigger concern to me than exhaust valves on reusable respirators.

To note:
1) The valves don't work by forcing 100% of exhaled air to exit via the valve: it's a combination of some through the filter media, some through the valve,
2) and the valves will redirect the air that does exit the valve either downwards, to the side, or downwards & to the side, so there is FAR less outward/forward projection of the particles

I am not discounting the fact that a valve has disadvantage in protecting others by an infected person, and I had raised this very issue back in January or February the first time,
but the media loves a good villain, and valves-on-masks seems to be the newly found "baddie". From a quick search, it seems to have come to the forefront since around April 28th or so.

Wearing an N95+ mask that has a valve with a cloth/paper mask over the top of it as recommended here seems to be a very good solution.
Old May 17, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by erik123
For those that have traveled with a mask long haul. What is your recommendation for the best mask to get?
tl;dr- wear whats most comfortable for you.

I have not worn a mask on a long haul, but I have worn one continuously for 16 hours, not N95 but surgical. It gets pretty old. As Flybitcoin has continued to point out, its to protect others from you, rather than protect yourself. So masks for long haul. If you have not been fit tested (I have, 3M-1860 medium) I think you might be best served with a loose fitting surgical type mask, no vents. And take a spare or 2. The humidity from breathing alone for that many hours will make it soggy. Also if you wear glasses, if you don't fit it correctly over your nose, your glasses will fog and it will be a pain to read or watch a movie. I personally will wear a simple surgical mask with ear loops and wear a gaiter over it to keep it snug off and on, just in case it actually might filter something out. I have been in the Antarctic, Arctic, and skiing with a gaiter, so I am comfortable with that. See a link super upthread about nylons over a regular mask making it about N90. Recent USA research. I have also worked with Ag chemicals in a N95 for 2-3 hours. Unless you practice, an N95 for 8 hours is about the limit for most people. Those folks doing 12-16 hour shifts in N95 are superheroes.

No mask alone will keep you perfectly safe for 12-15 hours in the metal tube. To get close to that, you would need a box of disposable gloves, a PPE gown or 3, goggles or full face shield and a gallon of alcohol gel, and of course hand washing/gel after every break in technique. And you would need to get checked out on donning and doffing your PPE before you leave. If you break technique, you get exposed. And you would need to wipe down your personal space and let it dry before you used any part of it. Then you would have to trust that everyone who touched anything that was given to you, including the unknown people who did the plane catering did perfect sterile technique. When you were given anything, wear gloves, wipe down what you were given, let it dry, etc etc. Use your own straws for that PDB and in flight beverages.

Also, when you wear PPE for several hours, it is a sweat fest. Like dripping sweat on the floor and your socks and underwear are soggy. I am not exaggerating, did this recently. But not on a plane. So best case scenario, wear a comfortable mask, wash hands frequently, stay apart, wipe down stuff. Good luck.
ExpatExp, wrp96, dorisrpas and 2 others like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by econ
SF Bay Area health department orders on face coverings specifically call out those types of masks (with one-way valves for exhalation) as ones that do not meet their requirements, FWIW.
Originally Posted by jmastron
I would disagree -- that might be true if everyone were wearing an N95 properly fitted, which we're not, and if we were *only* concerned about inhaled droplets, which we're not -- droplets entering via the eyes (we're not all wearing goggles), getting elsewhere on the face to touch and move later after you've washed your hands and think you're safe, or getting on other surfaces to be touched.

I admit I grabbed a few N95s with valves (on the front) at the beginning of all this, before realizing the valve is great when all you're worried about is inhaling smoke/paint fumes/etc, but are useless for protecting others. If someone here gets sick we might use them for the rest of us if we have to be nearby, but won't use them in public and I absolutely think they should be disallowed wherever masks are required, unless covered by another cloth mask.
Originally Posted by narvik
This is a great suggestion.
At Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, where my daughter is a UCSF resident, everyone who uses N95 with valve is always covered by a surgery mask.

Further, surgery masks seem to provide the same level of protection in a normal medical institution setting (other than ICU and special wards) in old influenza studies. Thus, with the strong air circulation and filtering system, the advantage of N95 over surgery masks in a typical less than full flight now is very limited.

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Mask for safety or mask to pass the minimum need regulation from airline/government?

I just did my first set of flights since lockdown; was N95 for about 4 hours, not anything like my old time 18 hour TPAC with connnect. No way could I wear the N95 even with only 1/2 strapped for that long.
Originally Posted by milepig
Add me to the "I don't think I could do 12-15 hours in a mask" list. I can barely make it through the grocery story (required here) nor can I do 12-15 hours under normal conditions without getting really twitchy. Thinking about 12-15 hours in a mask just gives me the willies. So, long-hauls are out for me until the mask requirement is rescinded.
In Taiwan, when my students or assistants have a cold, they wear masks 8 to 5 or 6, When you include their commuting time in bus or MRT train, it could be easily 12 hours. Thousands people do this everyday in Taipei. And in Japan and Hong Kong.. I have not heard a complaint.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Frankly, for the foreseeable future any sort of flying for me is absolutely out of question. I am in BC which got away shockingly easily and yet, I am not ready to board a bus for weeks yet much less being enclosed in a plane for ten hours... nah. I am reading this thread to find personal experiences of anyone flying 10+ hrs in a mask but I can't find anyting first hand :/

Last edited by chx1975; May 17, 2020 at 10:03 pm
Old May 17, 2020, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Also, you probably want a lie flat window seat in J, 1-2-1 configuration, and preferably a backwards facing one where your head is next to the window, instead of the forward facing ones with your head next to the aisle.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by chx1975
Frankly, for the foreseeable future any sort of flying for me is absolutely out of question. I am in BC which got away shockingly easily and yet, I am not ready to board a bus for weeks yet much less being enclosed in a plane for ten hours... nah. I am reading this thread to find personal experiences of anyone flying 10+ hrs in a mask but I can't find anyting first hand :/
I've used JAL's provided moisture masks on Tpac flights of that distance multiple times. I don't think they have the meltblown filter layer but otherwise similar to a surgical style mask. No issues or discomfort really. If anything, had less dry mouth/nose/throat upon deplaning than usual.
estnet likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by chx1975
I am reading this thread to find personal experiences of anyone flying 10+ hrs in a mask but I can't find anyting first hand :/
I flew with a mask in late January from HKG-JNB and JNB-HKG in Premium Economy, some ~12+ hours each way IIRC, and HKG to JFK in early February in J, some 15 hours.
Most were wearing a mask at that point, maybe ~85% for the flights to JNB, ~75% for the flights to HKG and JFK. All CX crew were wearing masks/face shields.
Flights were quite full.
The masks I had at the time were fairly simple FFP2 (N95) masks, with no exhaust valve.
I took the mask off only for eating/drinking, so maybe three/four times during the flight (I am not one to take a sip of drink every 5 minutes).
No difficulties in wearing the mask for that duration, at least for me. Fell asleep for a bit and kept the mask on. On the flight in J, I am not so sure the mask actually stayed on 100% while sleeping.

I believe the reluctance to wearing masks might be more psychosomatic than anything else. If you keep thinking about how uncomfortable the mask is.....well, it will get REALLY uncomfortable really fast!

Oh, and if necessary, I recommend to shave before embarking on an ULH flight for maximum mask effectiveness.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
In Taiwan, when my students or assistants have a cold, they wear masks 8 to 5 or 6, When you include their commuting time in bus or MRT train, it could be easily 12 hours. Thousands people do this everyday in Taipei. And in Japan and Hong Kong.. I have not heard a complaint.
That's because Americans are a bunch of whiny, privileged babies.
Hanalei likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:00 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
The majority of masks do not provide any protection against viruses. With the exception of N95 and surgical masks, the ones out there filter down to 3 microns or so. The largest virus particles are .014 microns. So they move freely in and out of the masks.

Also, all US airlines have an exemption of you notify them you have a condition that prevents you from wearing a mask. Once notified, you will be allowed to board and fly without a mask.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:01 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by ajf87
That's because Americans are a bunch of whiny, privileged babies.

Yet you seem to take advantage of all the USA has to offer.

Taiwan has a long history of people wearing masks due to the pollution levels and other contaminates in the air.

The USA has a Constitution to prevent our civil liberties from being trampled upon.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Yet you seem to take advantage of all the USA has to offer.

Taiwan has a long history of people wearing masks due to the pollution levels and other contaminates in the air.

The USA has a Constitution to prevent our civil liberties from being trampled upon.
The Constitution doesn't prohibit airlines (or anyone, for that matter) from requiring masks and face coverings during a pandemic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.