Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Are you willing to contribute to the cost of warehousing people with mental health issues?
I would In cases where such strong steps are best for the individual and public's safety.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
A funny thing about face masks on flights, if you are flying and there is a Business Class dinner/drink service, well you end up not wearing your mask quite a bit as you are busy eating and drinking!

If you actually go for the full first class service well then you only wear a mask for boarding, take off and landing!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
A funny thing about face masks on flights, if you are flying and there is a Business Class dinner/drink service, well you end up not wearing your mask quite a bit as you are busy eating and drinking!

If you actually go for the full first class service well then you only wear a mask for boarding, take off and landing!
I believe this is why flying is considered a intermediate to high risk event for contracting the virus.

However, mitigating activities, including less crowding in F as well as abbreviated meal service, will reduce the viral transmission risk as long as masks are worn at all other times.

Flying is one of the activities where I wear an N95 mask, since I need personal protection to prevent picking up the virus as well as decreasing my possible spreading of virus..
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:18 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
UCSF overview on masks.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Mask decontamination using a microwave.
Good for 20 cycles with same N95 mask.
Complete cycle in only 3 minutes
https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/3/e00997-20

Is it just me or does anyone else think that microwaving a mask with a metallic nose piece is a bad idea?
largeeyes, the810, narvik and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
In some circumstances mental illness should be treated in secure facilities.
Unlike in major cities in this country where they treat them and street them.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
I believe this is why flying is considered a intermediate to high risk event for contracting the virus.

However, mitigating activities, including less crowding in F as well as abbreviated meal service, will reduce the viral transmission risk as long as masks are worn at all other times.

Flying is one of the activities where I wear an N95 mask, since I need personal protection to prevent picking up the virus as well as decreasing my possible spreading of virus..
Can someone provide a fact or two in proof of the increased transmission dangers involved in flying?
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Can someone provide a fact or two in proof of the increased transmission dangers involved in flying?
Given that flying involves being close to people, any paper citing being close to people has an increased risk of transmission provides evidence for flying having a heightened risk.

(Unless you fly private I suppose)
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
It appears that universal masks (under the current load factors) have reduced transmission on commercial aircraft to minimal.
Still waiting for anyone else from the Emirates DXB-HKG from back in June to test positive from sharing a cabin with the 26 people who were already infected when they left Pakistan.
Have not seen a single cluster from a commercial flight in the last two months.

As for clusters prior to masks, there was the Vietnam LHR-Hanoi flight back in March with cases localized to J class.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:19 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Given that flying involves being close to people, any paper citing being close to people has an increased risk of transmission provides evidence for flying having a heightened risk.

(Unless you fly private I suppose)

I've seen speculations about restrooms, both on board flights and also in airports.

Talk of the virus being aerosolized when toilets are flushed and the air in the bathrooms accumulating aerosols and droplets.

Airport bathrooms were suspect because of those Dyson jet hand dryers, which accelerated and dispersed germs all over the bathroom.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by exp
I've seen speculations about restrooms, both on board flights and also in airports.

Talk of the virus being aerosolized when toilets are flushed and the air in the bathrooms accumulating aerosols and droplets.

Airport bathrooms were suspect because of those Dyson jet hand dryers, which accelerated and dispersed germs all over the bathroom.
It makes you wonder what should be the protocol in the plane lavs...Previous occupant takes off mask, coughs, etc, should lav door stay open or closed afterwards? Then next person comes in, should they wait a bit first? And/or should the not take off their mask at all while in the lav?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:48 am

Is it just me or does anyone else think that microwaving a mask with a metallic nose piece is a bad idea?
Well, the fire would definitely decontaminate it.....
the810, narvik, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 12:51 am

I'm curious if QR is going to be the first of many, or an outlier, in the requirement to wear a face shield in addition to a mask.

https://www.businessinsider.com/qata...20-7?r=DE&IR=T
Old Jul 7, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by largeeyes
I'm curious if QR is going to be the first of many, or an outlier, in the requirement to wear a face shield in addition to a mask.

https://www.businessinsider.com/qata...20-7?r=DE&IR=T
Business class passengers are exempt from the rule and are only required to wear the mask and shield "at their discretion."
One rule for the rich...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
One rule for the rich...
Yeah, but there is of course a bit more room between people in business class....
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.