Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes but medics choose to wear masks. If they hated it they wouldn’t be a medic. Being forced to wear one is something else, I have no problem if others want to wear one, just don’t force it on me.

it’s funny the same people who promote tolerance and equality in society are the ones who are the most intolerant!

Why do you think if it’s only recommended most people don’t wear one? Because it’s not comfortable and asthma makes it worse than normal

generally the uk is a tolerant society; so they don’t argue with you if you explain why you aren’t wearing one, and I had the same experience in Germany
How would you know if the asthma makes it worse? You can't experience mask-wearing as a non-asthmatic, so what is your basis for comparison? Maybe others without asthma are just as uncomfortable as you are.

Minor discomfort seems a petty reason not to protect others from illness that could become fatal. In my opinion, you are not asking for tolerance, you are asking for special treatment.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Lol, being required to wear a mask means a lack of "tolerance and equality."

Has anyone ever complained you are required to wear clothes? Oh, but what about "tolerance and equality." I want to walk into a store naked! Well too bad. Some things trump "tolerance" for personal choice. When society as a whole finds being naked offensive, your "choice" to walk around naked if removed.

When society is in the middle of a pandemic and infections are soaring and masks have been scientifically proven to slow the spread, then your "choice" to walk around mask less is removed.

Complaining that laws are in place to keep people safe which mandate certain activities and actions, like wearing clothes, not driving drunk, remove your "choice" and are therefore "intolerant" is one of the worst thought out arguments I have heard.

You are welcome to have a choice, when your choice isn't selfishly infecting others.
It is lectures like this that only entrench opposition to masks and the people who support their use. Many of the mandatory mask orders allow an exemption for certain medical conditions that make masks an issue for some people. You'd be further ahead showing a little tolerance and appreciation of their situation instead of insulting and attempting to humiliate them.
Rare, the810 and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
How would you know if the asthma makes it worse? You can't experience it as a non-asthmatic, so what is your basis for comparison? Maybe others without asthma are just as uncomfortable as you are.

Minor discomfort seems a petty reason not to protect others from illness that could become fatal. In my opinion, you are not asking for tolerance, you are asking for special treatment.
Well my country agrees with me, that's all that matters.
Also you need to understand asthma, basically asthmatics have more sensitive lungs than usual that swell up and create mucus reacting to certain things (allergies, a cold, wearing a mask, etc.).
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:26 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Please stop spreading propaganda without assertion in science: the medical profession is clear, asthmatic can wear masks, it has no incidence. There is even research showing masks *improve* some asthmatic conditions.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...bstract/372452
https://www.jacionline.org/article/S...12)02690-5/pdf
exp, nk15 and TravelingZoomer like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Please stop spreading propaganda without assertion in science: the medical profession is clear, asthmatic can wear masks, it has no incidence. There is even research showing masks *improve* some asthmatic conditions.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...bstract/372452
https://www.jacionline.org/article/S...12)02690-5/pdf
​​​​​​https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/19/peopl...warn-12723945/

I can easily find articles supporting not wearing masks as well, even this one specifically mentioning asthmatics. After all 'propaganda' is on both sides, pro and anti mask. I am not anti-mask, my issue is not with people wearing masks, but others forcing their opinion on me. If you want to wear a mask, go for it, but don't treat me like a criminal for trying not to.

And by the way, science is not exact either, scientists have many different theories, in fact our Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Officer said themsleves the evidence for masks is 'not overwhelming', and they are respectively the top doctor and top scientist of the UK!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well my country agrees with me, that's all that matters.
Also you need to understand asthma, basically asthmatics have more sensitive lungs than usual that swell up and create mucus reacting to certain things (allergies, a cold, wearing a mask, etc.).
I am asthmatic, so spare the lecture. No, your lungs don't swell up from wearing a mask -- the airways to the lungs might, as that is what asthma is, but only if you somehow react to the materials in the mask or to excess moisture in the air you breathe in. The answer to that is to choose different materials and/or materials that are moisture-wicking. If you still can't abide it, as a last resort wear a bandanna, which allows airflow from below but at least blocks some of your exhalation for the protection of others. If you still aren't satisfied, don't fly. No one is forcing an opinion, they are forcing compliance to their sensible rules. Their rules, which you have to obey if you want to fly.
ajGoes, nk15 and TravelingZoomer like this.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Jul 12, 2020 at 2:34 pm
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Lol, being required to wear a mask means a lack of "tolerance and equality."

Has anyone ever complained you are required to wear clothes? Oh, but what about "tolerance and equality." I want to walk into a store naked! Well too bad. Some things trump "tolerance" for personal choice. When society as a whole finds being naked offensive, your "choice" to walk around naked if removed.
Well, I actually do object. I can see no sufficient state interest to mandate the wearing of clothes. (I can see a state interest in mandating that you don't put your bare bottom on public seating, though. I could also see a case for prohibiting it on standing-room-only public transit.) I have no problem with businesses mandating clothes, though. The few places with no law against public nudity don't seem to collapse in anarchy.

When society is in the middle of a pandemic and infections are soaring and masks have been scientifically proven to slow the spread, then your "choice" to walk around mask less is removed.
Exactly. I'd like to see masks the law of the land and going forward I would like to see masks the law of the land for anyone with an infectious disease that can spread that way.

Complaining that laws are in place to keep people safe which mandate certain activities and actions, like wearing clothes, not driving drunk, remove your "choice" and are therefore "intolerant" is one of the worst thought out arguments I have heard.

You are welcome to have a choice, when your choice isn't selfishly infecting others.
And how does my attire become a safety issue for you?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:32 pm

I am asthmatic. No, your lungs don't swell up from wearing a mask -- the airways to the lungs might, as that is what asthma is, but only if you somehow react to the materials in the mask or to excess moisture in the air you breathe in. The answer to that is to choose different materials and/or materials that are moisture-wicking. If you still can't abide it, as a last resort wear a bandanna, which allows airflow from below but at least blocks some of your exhalation for the protection of others. If you still aren't satisfied, don't fly.

Again, I think you are asking for special treatment using invalid rationalizations.
I have flown many times without a mask; was not an issue. In the few times it was, I sucked it up and wore one.

Some airlines are more strict than others, so I will avoid the stricter airlines if at all possible.

And my experience is bandanas are worse than KN-95 masks that a flight-crew gave me. The medical basic mask was worse than the KN-95, so if I am forced to, KN-95 it is. So I have worn a face covering 3 times in my life until now.

I am not asking for special treatment. My reason for avoiding wearing one is valid under the rules. If I was wrong, it wouldn't be a part of the rules.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Jul 12, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It is lectures like this that only entrench opposition to masks and the people who support their use. Many of the mandatory mask orders allow an exemption for certain medical conditions that make masks an issue for some people. You'd be further ahead showing a little tolerance and appreciation of their situation instead of insulting and attempting to humiliate them.
I understand if you dislike my contempt for these people. Sadly I don't think any form of compassion for their opinion will change their mind. If compassion was something they cares about, they would be wearing masks instead of saying "tolerance."

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And how does my attire become a safety issue for you?
Your disingenuous arguments fool absolutely no one, except maybe you. By calling it "attire" you are degrading it's purpose and belittling it. It is attire. And it is also something else.

A mask is PPE.

A mask is safety wear.

If a man rocks up to a building site, with no hard hat or protective gear on, despite state mandates that in dangerous situations, you wear that clothing, and others object, do you think that him saying "but why do you object to my attire choice" is going to fly?

No. No one objects because he chose different "attire." People object because certain "attire" is indeed mandated, for everyone's safety, in dangerous situations.

And what is a dangerous situation?

​​​​​​​A fast moving pandemic.
knownothing likes this.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jul 12, 2020 at 2:43 pm
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I have flown many times without a mask; was not an issue. In the few times it was, I sucked it up and wore one. And my experience is bandanas are worse than KN-95 masks that a flight-crew gave me. The medical basic mask was worse than the KN-95, so if I am forced to, KN-95 it is. So I have worn a face covering 3 times in my life until now.

I am not asking for special treatment. My reason for avoiding wearing one is valid under the rules. If I was wrong, it wouldn't be a part of the rules.
I'm saying this without any condensation, only what I know from my professional experience as a psychologist.

I also have a asthma. If anything, we should be the first to wear masks, not the last. The reason why it's a "valid" reason is because of the, quite literally, fake news that has been floating around showing mask wearing is harmful to people with asthma. Tell me why olympic asthmatic runners wear masks as opposed to being staunchly against them?

The reason why it's a "valid" reason is because airlines rightfully so from a business perspective are scared from a lawsuit and rather just not deal with it. Why some people think it's harder to breathe with a mask on is because they have been fed lies that it restricts breathing and are responding to a panic attack which ironically makes it harder to breathe. Mask wearing has become so entrenched in morality and beliefs as opposed to being simple medical advice that it has caused such great emotional impacts if you are being "forced" to wear one.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Yes but medics choose to wear masks. If they hated it they wouldn’t be a medic. Being forced to wear one is something else, I have no problem if others want to wear one, just don’t force it on me.

it’s funny the same people who promote tolerance and equality in society are the ones who are the most intolerant!

Why do you think if it’s only recommended most people don’t wear one? Because it’s not comfortable and asthma makes it worse than normal
Not proven wrong read News Release 1-Jun-2020

1) Not proven: WRONG: 1 Jun 2020 The Lancet: Most comprehensive study to date provides evidence on optimal physical distancing, face masks, and eyeprotection to prevent spread of COVID-19. Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection

2) "No problem with others wearing but not me". That is the remark of one where "one comes before the many". A person who does not care if he/she infects someone else and kills them, as long as he/she is not inconvenienced!

3) There is NO data nor observations that a mask makes asthma worse.

Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
I am asthmatic, so spare the lecture. No, your lungs don't swell up from wearing a mask -- the airways to the lungs might, as that is what asthma is, but only if you somehow react to the materials in the mask or to excess moisture in the air you breathe in. The answer to that is to choose different materials and/or materials that are moisture-wicking. If you still can't abide it, as a last resort wear a bandanna, which allows airflow from below but at least blocks some of your exhalation for the protection of others. If you still aren't satisfied, don't fly. No one is forcing an opinion, they are forcing compliance to their sensible rules. Their rules, which you have to obey if you want to fly.
WELL SAID
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by knownothing
WELL SAID
Originally Posted by knownothing
Not proven wrong read News Release 1-Jun-2020

1) Not proven: WRONG: 1 Jun 2020 The Lancet: Most comprehensive study to date provides evidence on optimal physical distancing, face masks, and eyeprotection to prevent spread of COVID-19. Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection

2) "No problem with others wearing but not me". That is the remark of one where "one comes before the many". A person who does not care if he/she infects someone else and kills them, as long as he/she is not inconvenienced!

3) There is NO data nor observations that a mask makes asthma worse.

Well my 'study' says it makes me uncomfortable, and the British government understands my reasoning and accepts it. That's fine by me. Can't make everyone happy, certainly not CNN at least who was openly criticising how few people in the UK wear face coverings in their main article earlier today. I guess they had nothing better to complain about today.

Generally people who are intolerant and criticise the most are the ones who have less knowledge in the first place.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well my 'study' says it makes me uncomfortable, and the British government understands my reasoning and accepts it. That's fine by me. Can't make everyone happy, certainly not CNN at least who was openly criticising how few people in the UK wear face coverings in their main article earlier today. I guess they had nothing better to complain about today.

Generally people who are intolerant and criticise the most are the ones who have less knowledge in the first place.
Masks make everyone uncomfortable, but I guess you'll cling to your 'bone spur' excuse as a way of getting out of doing what you know you should be doing.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:01 pm

Masks make everyone uncomfortable, but I guess you'll cling to your 'bone spur' excuse as a way of getting out of doing what you know you should be doing.
No it's not that. If I am allowed to, I will not wear one. Simple. I am not making up the fact that I am asthmatic, and it certainly is not an excuse, it's a valid reason accepted by the authorities and airlines.

People need to learn how to be more tolerant.
the810 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.