Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Moderator announcement - June 23, 2020:

Flyertalk’s moderators generally take a hands-off approach when it comes to judging the accuracy of members’ statements. While that’s fine for travel debates, a pandemic is clearly a more serious issue.

A meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them, published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

Given the science, the forum moderators are disallowing any further posts that debate whether or not masks should be worn. Posts that do so will be deleted and members subject to discipline.

Please also note, we do not allow posting of conspiracy theories or racist terms used in place of Covid-19, coronavirus, etc.

- Coronavirus and Travel moderator team
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by knownothing
bitcoin: another site for N95 with valve. Maybe you will admit you are wrong
https://go.selfrely.com/masks-in-sto...5-6dc59d39dc89
Love the disclaimer at the bottom of the site's page

"*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

The content provided on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice from your physician or other medical professionals. The information here should not be used for diagnosing, treating disease or health-related issues, or prescribing of medications. Please read all product documentation carefully. Contact your regular health care practitioner if you have or suspect having a medical problem, before using our products.
FTC Legal Disclaimer: Results may vary, testimonials are not intended to be representative of typical results."
Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Not gonna lie, that website (including that it's "selfrely.com") looks extremely sketchy. I worry even having clicked on it.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:33 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by Rare
I would guess that in the US, the main reasons most people who wear masks do so are fear and social pressure. We are constantly bombarded with negative stories about the coronavirus: increasing number of cases, deaths, outlier cases of young people dying, etc. Yes, it can be bad. Yes, data and research suggest that masking reduces risk. But people are scared to death that not only are they >this close< to catching the virus, but if they do catch it, they or a loved one will surely die from it.

Interesting indeed. Fear of getting sick, comfort, convenience, fear of embarrassment.
Starts right there with the leaders what they refuse to say, refuse to do, and what they do symbolically or not. Once shown the ignorant, easily impressionable, sheep, etc. etc. can run many different ways and the polarizing leadership in the US has had a field day in seeding this polarization.

Last edited by chipmaster; Jun 29, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
It says that if you have "symptoms" you shouldn't use an exhalation valve.
The RULE with CV-19 is that everyone can transmit as if they have symptoms.

END.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
It says that if you have "symptoms" you shouldn't use an exhalation valve.
The RULE with CV-19 is that everyone can transmit as if they have symptoms.

END.
I thought you still can transmit when you are asymptomatic.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taikucing
That's what @FlyBitcoin said
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
What about exhalation valve masks that have one or two layers of liner on the inside, over the actual valve?
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
What about exhalation valve masks that have one or two layers of liner on the inside, over the actual valve?
Nobody else will know that.
Wear a paper mask over the valves or wear one without valves.
wrp96, boerne, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Huge spike where I live. I watched it play out with the deniers full bore. Tons of no masks since Memorial day. Just in full follow up the ECMO consult I got, eventually got better and is now on the floor with oxygen. The patient did not need anti-thrombotic or steroids. Also was a teenager. Just got a notice about a 40 something with cystic fibrosis and Covid+. That may not go well.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:09 pm

I just took a field trip to my garage and took pictures of 2 types of N95s with valve. The first one has a valve in the center, with a circular rubber flap. As you can see where I used a nail to demonstrate, when you exhale the valve opens and allows air and droplets to escape in all directions unimpeded (perhaps blocked a bit straight in front, but what goes up will come down). There’s no cloth or filter; when that flap opens it’s open. The second does have a bit of directionality but not much -- air/droplets can go out down/slightly forward and sideways.

These simply aren’t meant to prevent droplets from leaving the wearer’s face, which is fine for most dust/fume/industrial uses. Whether someone who makes money selling them calls that out or not.

I’m not saying there aren’t others that do have some sort of filter or cloth in addition to the valve (but I don’t understand that completely, since the whole mask is the filter), but virtually all of the ones I’ve seen people wearing are like above. As Flybitcoin says, a simple cloth or mask over it solves the problem.

Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
At this point, anyone in a position of authority advocating non mask use should be criminally charged for endangerment of public health and the like. Same for any organizer of large indoors events with no masks, and any public official.

I am actually surprised that the medical associations have not demanded public health measures to curb the spread. I would have threatened strikes of the health care workers statewide to deal with this lunacy.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Taikucing
Originally Posted by Smiley90
That's what @FlyBitcoin said
More than FlyBitcoin:

Asymptomatic Transmission, the Achilles’ Heel of Current Strategies to Control Covid-19

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2009758

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 1, 2020 at 4:09 pm Reason: Font size
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
At this point, anyone in a position of authority advocating non mask use should be criminally charged for endangerment of public health and the like. Same for any organizer of large indoors events with no masks, and any public official.

I am actually surprised that the medical associations have not demanded public health measures to curb the spread. I would have threatened strikes of the health care workers statewide to deal with this lunacy.
Unlike police departments, healthcare workers tend to show up to their job in suboptimal conditions all the time.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
More than FlyBitcoin:

Asymptomatic Transmission, the Achilles’ Heel of Current Strategies to Control Covid-19

And when someone quotes the one WHO person as saying asymptomatic transmission is rare -- she was being overly scientific and only referring to "never symptomatic", not including the much higher spread prevalance from "mildly symptomatic" (like the doofus in Texas that held a surprise party with a mild cough he thought was from working construction, until he put 3 relatives in the hospital) or "pre-symptomatic" (the tons of people who feel fine today and start having symptoms tomorrow, when it's too late to go back and wear that mask around all the people you breathed on yesterday) cases.
GUWonder, Loren Pechtel and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 1, 2020 at 4:09 pm Reason: Font size
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
More than FlyBitcoin:

It all boils down to THIS being the one factor that makes this virus so different.
It is less lethal than SARS-1 and MERS, so we let our guard down at first, thinking it would just fizzle out like the other two. But by the time we figured out the asymptomatic part, it had already broken out around the world. I don't think we will ever have a way to identify the first day one becomes infected and contagious.

In the end, this is why the mask is such an essential piece of control for this virus, and we cannot settle for "features" like one-way valves.
PanAmWT likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 1, 2020 at 4:10 pm Reason: Font size

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.