Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead behavior!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
Why dont these people just stick with SouthWest?
Moving bags, poaching F seats, clipping toenails, coughing and sneazing on people. Some people are just disgusting
Because Southworst doesn't have F seats?

I cannot believe anyone doing things that should be done in the privacy of their bathroom doing it on a plane
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
So I guess these weren't really sharp clippers since they got through security? I've had clippers confiscated before ... Not that I planned to use them on the plane!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
I bet she didn’t use clippers, she probably used her teeth.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
I've not had any carry-on problems since I started using my Red Oxx bag:

http://www.onebag.com/business-bags.html

I have managed to get a solid week's worth of stuff in there using his packing techniques, and never get questioned by GA's or FA's because it's a soft-sided bag and can be made to fit almost anywhere. It will fit into a regular overhead standing up, so it fits in narrow spaces, and it will even fits overhead in CRJ's when packed for a simple 1 or 2 day business trip on it's side.

That bag and my laptop backpack with some snack foods and I don't have a worry.

Of course elite boarding helps too.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by baglady
Because Southworst doesn't have F seats?

I cannot believe anyone doing things that should be done in the privacy of their bathroom doing it on a plane
I know this is a little OT, but this reminds me of the time my Husband was flying on an International flight and the man next to him blew his nose using the Newspaper.....where do these people come from? lol
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
How about those folks who take their shoes off and then walk into the lav with just their socks. ewwwwhhhhhhh......
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skydiva44
I know this is a little OT, but this reminds me of the time my Husband was flying on an International flight and the man next to him blew his nose using the Newspaper.....where do these people come from? lol
Forget that...the last (and final) time I flew on SW, the guy sitting next to me picked his nose and wiped it on my seat.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by NJTravelers
I agree tote your bags and keep them above your seats...I do and it's nice if I need something not to bother other pax.

The measuring bins are ridiculous...I have a bag the measures within the guidelines 45 linear inches but is wider and shorter so it looks bigger, still fits in the overhead bin, but wouldn't fit in one of those metal contraptions!

TSA guidelines are linear inches, correct me if I am wrong!
I don't understand this reasoning. First, the size limits are set by the airline, not the TSA, excepting the single plastic bag for your liquids. Second, I think it misses the point of the "metal contraptions." The boxes are a rigid shape because the overheads are a rigid shape. If it fits in the box, then it can fit in the overhead in a relatively optimized way. If it is longer, for instance, then it will have to go sideways. If it is wider and shallower, then it will take up more room, since few will have a thin object that fits easily on top of it. This is less of an issue on a wide-body, where the bins themselves vary more in size, but this is the CO board, so most here rarely see the inside of a widebody anyway.

And this brings me to my single biggest pet peeve - stow the f*****g rollaboard, the right way - wheels in or out, not sideways. If it doesn't fit that way, then it wasn't meant to be carried on board. 99% of the time it seems like it is pure laziness that keeps people from putting them in properly.

And my second pet peeve: suit carriers as carry-ons. In F or J, they are acceptable, but in Y they are a waste of space.

And finally, if you can't lift it, then don't carry it on.

Last edited by pbarnette; Jan 15, 2008 at 2:25 am
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:48 am

Well, I am glad to hear that some FAs are reserving the overhead bins in FC for FC pax. Their efforts are greatly appreciated.

I hate to wait at the gate for the flight to begin boarding, so I usually time my arrival for about 15-20 minutes before departure. Oftentimes, this means that I am one of the last to board. Most of the time, I manage to find space in the OH bin for my stuff, or the FAs figure something out. Nonetheless, I think it is important for CO to try the best it can to preserve the OH bin space for FC, because convenience is a big part of the reason that pax buy FC tickets in the first place.

I usually travel with a soft-sided briefcase and a 20 inch roll-aboard. That bag barely fits in the OH. It is amazing what people will try to bring on board. About twelve years ago, I had the misfortune of being on a Southwest flight where a woman actually brought a beach umbrella and inflated beach toys on board. There was still sand on the pole of the beach umbrella.

When I do board early, I often see coach pax using the FC bins. I have never seen an FA stop a coach pax from using these bins. I can't tell you how many times I have been hit on the head or arm by a coach pax trying to stuff their bulging belongings into the FC OH bin. I have been tempted to reproach some of these bin bandits, but thought better of it.

Why can't CO affix a placard to the inside of the FC bins stating "Reserved for First Class," or something like that? That would make it easier for FAs to step in, and guard the bins.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Actually, since FC boards first, I'm all in favor of we coach dwellers using the leftover FC overhead space. But, I saw on a return from Hawaii, a lady arrived late and got to her seat and gee, there was no overhead space. She decided to make a scene of it & merely grabbed the bag that was above her seat, removed it, replaced it with her bag and sat down. Then, a guy stood up, removed her bag, and put his bag back where it was, told her to stop being an as_ h o_e, and sat down. The guy got an ovation for it, and the hag had hers replaced in an empty in First Class.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
What about the people that put their coat in the bin all spread out, as if it's their own personal storage facility. I've had people give me nasty looks when I ask if they can please remove their coat until the bags are stored. If I put my coat in the bin (traveling from the Northeast requires a coat a good part of the year), I will stow it on top of my rollerboard so as not to take up any additional space.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:17 pm
Suspended

All too often I have found when i boarded that the bin space over my FC seat is full, yet there isnt anyone else on board.

Yep the FAs beat me to it. Once I got on late and all the bins in FC were full and the FA toldme to put as close to FC in a Coach bin. i opened a couple of bins and saw the bags had CREW all over them. I then asked Her to ask the FA who put their bags up there to put them into the coach bins so that I can get off when we land w/o having to wait for all of the coach cabin to get off before I can get to my bag. She wasnt too happy with my comment and started to tell me either put them in coach or gate check them. I said no problem but it will be awhile as I plan to check each bin in FC and write down the names of all the crew who stashed their bags there, so that when I contact CO I wont reprt a crew member who in fact didnt put their bag there.

I cant understand it, the crew have to be the last ones off anyway so why stash the bags in FC
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I cant understand it, the crew have to be the last ones off anyway so why stash the bags in FC
Aren't there designated spaces for crew members to stow their luggage, in F or otherwise? I seem to recall that they are entitled to use some of the space in F on certain aircraft.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
On my IAH-SFO flight yesterday, the lead FA kept the FC bins closed at all times, except when someone seated in FC was stowing a bag. Very nice touch, although I had a brief 'holy crap!' moment when I boarded and saw the bins closed, thinking all the space was gone.

However, when one of the bins was left open, sure enough, a coach poacher shoved his bag AND coat into the space and strolled back with a look of 'I can do whatever I want' on his face. FC was full at that point, but if it wasn't, I was prepared to tell the lead which bag could be gate checked to make space.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
On my IAH-SFO flight yesterday, the lead FA kept the FC bins closed at all times, except when someone seated in FC was stowing a bag. Very nice touch, although I had a brief 'holy crap!' moment when I boarded and saw the bins closed, thinking all the space was gone.
I have seen them do this, as well, and it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.