Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead behavior!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
How about those folks who take their shoes off and then walk into the lav with just their socks. ewwwwhhhhhhh......
guilty, however, if the floor is wet, then of course I get my shoes, or find another lav.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:56 pm

Thanks to CO 1E for pointing out one thing I forgot to mention, which is that the crew often takes up substantial bin space in FC.

I know that part of the reason the crew does this is that closet space has been reduced, and of course, crew members sometimes have a need to get to their next flight quickly. However, since the crew cannot leave the AC until all of the pax have, why not just stow their bags in the rear OH bins?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:12 am
UncleBuck

Originally Posted by craz
I said no problem but it will be awhile as I plan to check each bin in FC and write down the names of all the crew who stashed their bags there, so that when I contact CO I wont reprt a crew member who in fact didnt put their bag there.
Wow. And you think that will get you anywhere in life? Tattling on someone who took your bin space? Give me a break, pal. While it's very inconsiderate of the crew to do that, I agree, there are more important things in life to get pissed off about. And do you honestly think the company is going to do anything besides laugh when they found out your bin space was taken and you actually were pathetic enough to hold up the boarding process to inspect everyone's bag for ID? You'd be lucky if you weren't deemed a "security threat". You are buying a seat, not bin space. Again, the crew was out of line if your probable over-exaggeration is true, but grow up.

Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UncleBuck
You are buying a seat, not bin space.
I disagree with this part, but agree with the rest of your post.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Originally Posted by JaredH
Why can't CO affix a placard to the inside of the FC bins stating "Reserved for First Class," or something like that? That would make it easier for FAs to step in, and guard the bins.
??? FC always boards first, so placards would just be another annoying duty that FA's would have to do
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by chasbondy
??? FC always boards first, so placards would just be another annoying duty that FA's would have to do
Huh? What duty, if the placards are permanently affixed to the bins?

And although FC is allowed to board first, the realities of getting from the parking lot to the gate (nevermind between gates on tight connections) mean that firsties aren't necessarily the first on the plane.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PorkRind
Huh? What duty, if the placards are permanently affixed to the bins?
Yeah, wouldn't be that different from the placards on the bins on UA above the E+ seats.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:36 pm
Suspended

How about those folks who take their shoes off and then walk into the lav with just their socks. ewwwwhhhhhhh......
I hate it when someone wipes their smelly socks on the bathroom floor
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Theoretically, FC has 50% more bin space: 2 across vs 3 across
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Platinum Marriott, AA Gold, Silver NW
I never cease to be amazed by non-FF
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Angry Carry-on Rules and Size Enforement

There needs to be strict adherence to the rules. Period. When I was a peon traveling SNA-IAH-MEM-PHL a few years ago, we were essentially last to board in Y. All I had was my 21" roll-a-board. No checked bags, no personal bags. I was told I would have to gate check the bag and it would meet me in PHL. I told her that there's bad WX in IAH, and I doubt it will make it to PHL. Can I see if there's space, or even make some space? Of course the answer was no. Sure enough, we were forced to land in AUS to fuel up, because we were circling for so long over IAH. Of course I missed my connection to MEM (I was trying to qualify on segments/points that year). So, I was forced to fly IAH-PHL. Of course, no bag showed up at the carousel in PHL. I was furious. I'm going to bet if I got a chance to look in the overhead bins, I would have found small items there that could be placed in front of pax feet. I bet there were people with more than 2 items as well. My gf wonders why I fly so much (on my own dime) to try and keep status. If I lose status, I may have to start booking seats in the last rows of Y to try and board as close to the top as possible.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by UncleBuck
You'd be lucky if you weren't deemed a "security threat".
dang - me no likely the everything-customers-do-that-annoys-me-is-a-security-threat approach

Let's go back to your usual posts which give great insight into the FA's viewpoint! ^
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chasbondy
Theoretically, FC has 50% more bin space: 2 across vs 3 across
it is actually more than 50% because not only as you pointed it is 2 instead of 3 people across, there are also less rowns per bin surface area (not sure how much that is but it would be the difference between seat pitch in coach vs. first on any given aircraft).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think the best solution to this was something I witnessed a couple years ago while on an Aeroflot flight: a late arriving passenger seeing the bins above his seat full simply pulled out everything and dumped them into the aisle. A young girl seating a few rows back ran up and made a big fuss about it, but the FA had her walk all the way to the back and stow her stuff here and there. At first I was a little shocked, but later realized it would solve all of our problems if, with your seat assignment, you were assigned the overhead storage bin. If your seatmate is a luggage pig, well too bad, work it out amongst yourselves, or even more simply have the FA check any excess bags after giving you equal space.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: Premier 1K, 1 mm
Why do airlines often include socks in their ammenity kits? I use them to walk around.

Jack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.