Overhead behavior!

Old Jan 12, 08, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Overhead behavior!

I knew that people were selfish about overhead space, but on one of my CO flights yesterday I actually heard someone justify it out loud!

A guy boarded the flight, and proceeded to attempt to put his bag in the first class overhead and walk back to coach. The flight attendent said, "Excuse me, that storage space is for first class." He said, "Oh, it is? Okay," and removed it. He then put his bag in the overhead for the second row of coach, and continued to walk back. "Um, are you in that row?" she asked him. "No, but it's not first class," he replied. "But there will be people sitting in those rows who will need the space," she explained, echoing my own thoughts. I was incredulous at his response: "But it helps me get off the plane faster"

I guess this person (and the countless others who do this) don't even think about the person sitting in those rows having to go *back* after the plane lands to get their bag. These people who do this don't care about anyone other than themselves, and this guy actually said it out loud. If everyone would use the overhead space by their seats, it's the most efficient way for all to get off the plane.
Old Jan 12, 08, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I hope the outcome was the FA forced Mr. Arrogant to take his bag back where he was sitting. I've put my bag in other locations, but generally because that's where the open space was - not putting it at row 2 and then sitting at row 40. How does putting one's bag at row 2 help to deplane faster anyway? That is some oddly twisted logic.

Some FAs do a great job of guarding FC overhead space, and even the pillows and blankets...on one flight, the FC FA locked up the FC pillows/blankets until coach boarded, then came through the cabin and handed them out. OTOH, some FA's don't pay any attention to what people are doing or take action when someone steps out of line.

I've frequently witnessed coach pax putting their bags in FC, and even reaching over and taking pillows, blankets, magazines and headsets, and on Delta which leaves out small water bottles on the FC seats, I've seen coach people snatch those as well.

Yes, I have informed on a coach passenger who put their bag in the FC bin when a late arriving FC customer couldn't find a place for their bag, and I've also asked a FA to tell a coach passenger to remove their bag from my FC bin space when they boarded in front of me, stowed their bag and left with no room for mine.
Old Jan 12, 08, 12:22 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The other day a FA commented during the boarding process that First Class passengers should be given the extra time by being allowed to board last.

I mentioned I'd be happy to spend an extra 15 minutes in the PClub, but the reason we (First Class) board first is so we get overhead space.

"Oh. Yes. I hadn't thought of that."
Old Jan 12, 08, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I don't get this either. If anything, leaving your bag in front slows everything down. Because once the line gets moving, then you'd need to stop to remove your bag, holding up the whole plane again.

But I see this so often and its really annoying. I think this happens more because planes board back to front for Y. I think people boarding for the back of Y may see the overheads already packed, as they are walking past open overheads. I guess they figure its ok for them to just stuff their bags anyplace.

Its really annoying.

I'd love to see dividers put in so each seat would have a specified corresponding overhead binspace. Just big enough for wheels in. Period.
Old Jan 12, 08, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
This is one of the benefits of having any elite status that I enjoy.

Getting on the plane first ensures that I can get the space over my seat. Even then, I have seen other elites not sitting in the elite section put there stuff over those seats.

I could never understand why, and if I boarded with elites & found someones stuff over my seat, I would ask the FA to find the owner and ask him to move it... and yes, it does always seem to be a him
Old Jan 12, 08, 1:44 pm
UncleBuck

Our official policy is to leave the 1st class bins closed during boarding to avoid such a situation. Some FAs follow this, some don't. I will close them initially, and continue to close them as each 1st class passenger sits down. This generally helps deter the trash that try to pull crap like that.

Old Jan 12, 08, 2:00 pm

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
Our official policy is to leave the 1st class bins closed during boarding to avoid such a situation. Some FAs follow this, some don't. I will close them initially, and continue to close them as each 1st class passenger sits down. This generally helps deter the trash that try to pull crap like that.
I have only seen this once in the past three hundred flights. Initially I was worried because the bins were closed and presumeably full, I opened one up, placed my bag in it and the FA came behind me and shut it. It was very effective. I thought it was the FA's idea since I had never seen this practice before. I have not seen it since.
Old Jan 12, 08, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Oh how I hate that behavior.
Old Jan 12, 08, 2:30 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hertz Gold, Hilton & Avis Gold, Starwood Gold
Overhead Portholes

It seems to me that one of the major delays is caused by FA's who are too anxious to close overhead bins BEFORE all passengers are on board. Sometimes, though, they are closed prematurely by passengers.
When the bins are open, you can see which ones are full and which ones still have some room. However, when you board and find that the bins are closed, you have to stop, drop bags, delay people behind you, and open each individual bin until you find space.

Wouldn't a narrow glass window, or porthole in the bin doors speed boarding? I wonder why they have included that concept in their design.
Old Jan 12, 08, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
All of this is peanuts compared to the real problem -- Continental's agents do not enforce Continental's carry-on baggage restrictions. Until they do, loading an aircraft will continue to be a needlessly complex sh!tshow.
Old Jan 12, 08, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I don't want to change the topic, but along those lines, why do the FA (the majority) have to slam the overhead doors. Most times they will close gently without the extra noise.
I guess its a way of venting the boarding frustrations ????
Old Jan 12, 08, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy View Post
All of this is peanuts compared to the real problem -- Continental's agents do not enforce Continental's carry-on baggage restrictions. Until they do, loading an aircraft will continue to be a needlessly complex sh!tshow.
Boy you hit the nail on the head. I have seen people lug on 26" bags onto the plane an no one says anything about it. I wonder how these people get these bags thru security screening. They knock people over with them while boarding and it really becomes a safety issue when they pull them out of and hit people on the head on departure.
Old Jan 12, 08, 3:48 pm
Suspended

hasn't this problem been discussed before in this forum? couldn't we continue the conversation in an existing thread?

was a search performed before posting a new thread?
Old Jan 12, 08, 4:15 pm

I think all of the airport agents would love to have that sizing box returned and templates added to the TSA security check points returned, so that customers who disregard the current rules would be required to return to the ticket counter to check in those bags.

Yeah! I say bring those boxes back.
Old Jan 12, 08, 5:43 pm
UncleBuck

I agree with this...

Originally Posted by sfogate
I think all of the airport agents would love to have that sizing box returned and templates added to the TSA security check points returned, so that customers who disregard the current rules would be required to return to the ticket counter to check in those bags.

Yeah! I say bring those boxes back.
but this even more.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: