FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   New CO Domestic F dinner meals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1312055-new-co-domestic-f-dinner-meals.html)

FragranceMarketingGuy Feb 18, 2012 9:24 am

Same: Last Night EWR/SEA

Originally Posted by qukslvr619 (Post 18039133)
Had same meal as week before on IADSAN: Chicken Cacciatore or Canneloni...with 1 less entree to choose from and the overall meal downgrade it feels like I am more or less eating the same thing. They must only rotate meals once a month but I could have sworn there was more variety in the past.

Crew was good and had the chance to chat with them for a while and ask them about the service changes. They said this was the first transcon they worked this month and they actually called catering on the ground because they thought with only two entrees they were catered wrong. Told them about the changes and they said while it makes the service for them easier (fewer courses to prep), it definitely was embarassing given the length of the trip and the market to be serving something similar to a mid-con.

Also found it interesting that there was a guy in 3B who would ring his call button every 10 minutes or so for water refills...FA's said that it was typical of the UA FF's to do this. The F/A's did make it a point to come through about every 20 minutes or so I did think it was sort of obsessive or the guy could have at least got up.

Same offerings last night from EWR/SEA. Why even bother putting a morsel of smoked salmon on the tray? It was so insignificant. Had the Canneloni, not great, not the worst. But, the Chicken looked disgusting. Same old ice cream sundae. Very underwhelmed .

Aloha1 Feb 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Anybody know if cognac is still on board domestic flights, or is that gone too?

glx Feb 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by EddieG (Post 18018945)
the fruit bowel

That entirely depends on the type of fruit. Bananas have lots of fiber.

LilAbner Feb 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Also found it interesting that there was a guy in 3B who would ring his call button every 10 minutes or so for water refills...FA's said that it was typical of the UA FF's to do this. The F/A's did make it a point to come through about every 20 minutes or so I did think it was sort of obsessive or the guy could have at least got up.

I can honestly say that after 2.5 million bis miles I have never seen this on UAL flights, ever, and it IS NOT typical of UAL FFer's. It may happen, once in a blue moon, but not typically. I can also say that bashing other passengers from one airline to the other during a merger is becoming typical as of late, and I've seen dumb self serving statements like this more than I've ever seen FA call bell poking.

What is quite typical for UA FFer's is after requesting water refills every 10 minutes during an IAD to SAN flight is to get up occasionally and hit the head! Only non-typical UA FFer's can make it nearly 6 hours without draining their lizards. So therefore a check of the manifest might just have revealed that this obsessive guy was most likely a CO FFer in disguise or a FAM that took his orders very seriously to always remain at his assigned post.
Naw, definitely not a typical UA FFer!

bocastephen Feb 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Reporting my FLL DEN meal experience (4+ hr dinner flight).

Basically it looks like they took the previous meal, tossed in the tumble dryer and shrunk it.

No soup.
Salad 25% smaller.
Entree (spinach canneloni) 40% smaller.
Fruit bowl 50% smaller.

No plated dessert - just a tiny bagged cookie.

This was very off-putting because the whole experience just screamed "cheapness". Anyone coming from the Continental side is going to look at these meals and see nothing more than cost cutting and nickel/dime nonsense to save a few pennies - in the premium cabin, no less.

Someone yank that glass of scotch out of Gordon's hand and get him back in charge of this airline, quick!

jlemon Feb 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by TXbizman (Post 17996090)
Yep - it is BF flight on 747-400. I was surprised that there was only two choices - the FA said she felt embarrassed as it just got changed. A few days ago, it was the normal 3 course meal. A few months ago, my folks flew LAX-HNL on 739 in FC and they even got 3 course meal.

I'm a bit confused here .....

So you were on CO 2 HNL-IAH and the metal was a 744? Or am I reading this wrong? :confused:

jlemon Feb 24, 2012 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1 (Post 17994203)
There could be a legal issue here since CO markets these flights to HNL as Business First and charges accordingly. Bait and switch tactics come to mind:mad: Having two booked and paid for BF flights, IAH-HNL-IAH ,coming up, i will NOT be a happy camper if BF service is gone when I bought BF service.:td:

It's always been BF seats (old style BF seats on the 764/76H) but the service was "BF Lite" IAH/EWR-HNL on PMCO, not "true" intl.-style BF service.

It appears the "BF Lite" service is gone now on these routes (apparently no more BF menus on CO.com for IAH-HNL and EWR-HNL).

SEA1K4EVR Feb 24, 2012 2:53 pm

FA's said that it was typical of the UA FF's to do this.

Oh Please. :rolleyes:

pigx5 Feb 24, 2012 4:10 pm

I think the guy didn't understand that typical CO FAs just disappear after meal service while most
UA FAs still refill frequently until prepare for landing.

It's my observation as a CO platinum and UA 1K.
I do usually get good service during the meal time from CO FAs but they do usually disappear
after the meal service.
Most good UA FAs will usually provide the service until the captain announce "FAs, prepare for landing."
Of course, both airlines have bad apples but it is the common situation from my observation for these 3 years.

Of course, you can argue that FAs are there for SAFETY not for refilling or servicing.
I guess most PAID F passengers are more concern about SAFETY than service.;)

channa Feb 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by FragranceMarketingGuy (Post 18039409)
Why even bother putting a morsel of smoked salmon on the tray? It was so insignificant.

So you didn't like the salmon in a ramekin? ;)

Come on, this is textbook CO. They put it there so they can say transcontinental meal service has a seafood appetizer. It's there by technicality, but not in spirit.

FragranceMarketingGuy Feb 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18076809)

Come on, this is textbook CO. They put it there so they can say transcontinental meal service has a seafood appetizer. It's there by technicality, but not in spirit.

Haha. Morsel is an overstatement. I think a toothpick had a greater presentation and impression than the salmon itself.

dinoscool3 Feb 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by pigx5 (Post 18076781)
I think the guy didn't understand that typical CO FAs just disappear after meal service while most
UA FAs still refill frequently until prepare for landing.

It's my observation as a CO platinum and UA 1K.
I do usually get good service during the meal time from CO FAs but they do usually disappear
after the meal service.
Most good UA FAs will usually provide the service until the captain announce "FAs, prepare for landing."
Of course, both airlines have bad apples but it is the common situation from my observation for these 3 years.

Of course, you can argue that FAs are there for SAFETY not for refilling or servicing.
I guess most PAID F passengers are more concern about SAFETY than service.;)

The guy just said the FAs came around every 20min, so, at least on that flight, the guy was obsessive.

Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA Feb 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 18076104)
Reporting my FLL DEN meal experience (4+ hr dinner flight).

Basically it looks like they took the previous meal, tossed in the tumble dryer and shrunk it.

No soup.
Salad 25% smaller.
Entree (spinach canneloni) 40% smaller.
Fruit bowl 50% smaller.

No plated dessert - just a tiny bagged cookie.

This was very off-putting because the whole experience just screamed "cheapness". Anyone coming from the Continental side is going to look at these meals and see nothing more than cost cutting and nickel/dime nonsense to save a few pennies - in the premium cabin, no less.

Someone yank that glass of scotch out of Gordon's hand and get him back in charge of this airline, quick!

Coming from the UA side- I am not impressed, either. I appreciate your points, but I think Gordon's biggest problem was mentoring a dude named Smisek and making him the heir...

At this point I would prefer Tilton! :(

MrAndy1369 Feb 25, 2012 4:36 am

Any pics?

cerealmarketer Feb 25, 2012 8:40 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18076809)

Originally Posted by FragranceMarketingGuy (Post 18039409)
Why even bother putting a morsel of smoked salmon on the tray? It was so insignificant.

:D And when BizFirst gets harmonized...let's take bets that we see

Small salad and no app choice
Same big main with 4 choices
No separate cheese and sundae cart

It's all "there" but smaller because if Delta gets away with it...

Then why not just fly Delta.