FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   New CO Domestic F dinner meals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1312055-new-co-domestic-f-dinner-meals.html)

channa Feb 11, 2012 11:35 am

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17994962)
To be clear, the couple of CO premium TC routes are still supposed to be traditional TC service. Not sure why the LAX-EWR noted above was not. Might just be slow adjustment to the new parameters. But LAX/SFO-EWR is not changing.

Maybe they're using the UA definition of premium transcon, namely JFK-SFO/LAX?

But I can see why CO would make adjustments here. While CO transcon meal service was superior to UA's, CO had far fewer transcon routes because they had only one coastal hub:

CO: EWR-SFO/LAX/SAN/SNA/PDX/SEA (I think I may have them all?).

Meanwhile, UA had three (3) coastal hubs and had many more transcons:

UA: IAD-SFO/LAX/SMF/SAN/PDX/SEA; LAX-JFK/PHL/BWI/BOS/MCO; SFO-JFK/EWR/PHL/BWI/BOS/MCO

So from a cost perspective, that's potentially a lot of cost to add.

MrAndy1369 Feb 11, 2012 12:07 pm

I'm still confused. Based on what you said, LAX/SFO/EWR still gets traditional transcon service - but how about other transcons? (EWR-SEA/PDX/SNA/SAN) Does this apply to UA transcons too? Because I remember very clearly UA mentioning ALL transcons would get sundaes and 3 choices of meals. What do you mean by long-haul service? How does that differ from transcon service?

Please clarify, thanks!

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17994962)
To be clear, the couple of CO premium TC routes are still supposed to be traditional TC service. Not sure why the LAX-EWR noted above was not. Might just be slow adjustment to the new parameters. But LAX/SFO-EWR is not changing.

All of the other TC's however, have gone to long-haul service.

Again, just going from memory, but my memory on this stuff is pretty good. So if you complain to the brass, you might leave out what you think it's supposed to be, rather, state your dissatisfaction with what you actually received. I'll confirm once I get my hands on the printed material containing all the details.

I wish they would just publish the detailed matrix for all to see. It would alleviate false expectations and lots of guessing.

qukslvr619 Feb 11, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm thinking it doesn't apply to the UA transcons. IADSAN was two lunch options served all at once, no separate courses, but ice cream sundaes later served from the galley. I'll report EWRSAN dinner flight next week but hoping it hasn't changed for the worse.

pptp Feb 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Real TC is 3 choice with app and ice cream. Long haul is 2 choice, with ice cream, no app.

Yes, the only real TC meals will be LAX/SFO. This is supposed to be the final alignment of meal service so it should apply to all metal.

Again, don't take it as gospel since I don't have the matrix in front of me but when I read it, the TC thing stuck in my head as being similar to, if not exactly the same as, the prior attempt to downgrade.

PDXPremier Feb 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17996002)
Real TC is 3 choice with app and ice cream. Long haul is 2 choice, with ice cream, no app.

Yes, the only real TC meals will be LAX/SFO. This is supposed to be the final alignment of meal service so it should apply to all metal.

Again, don't take it as gospel since I don't have the matrix in front of me but when I read it, the TC thing stuck in my head as being similar to, if not exactly the same as, the prior attempt to downgrade.

Actually a previous poster on the IAD-SEA route reported being served the appetizer (along with the expected ice cream).

qukslvr619 Feb 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Hopefully this doesn't stay that way. Even DL treats SAN/SEA etc same as LAX/SFO. Not sure where AA stands There is no incentive to buy Y fares and fly over EWR vice IAD for me anymore. Not that I was using meal service as the sole decision point but it was definitely a better product. Anything that is 5+ hours out of a hub should be treated as a "real" transcon. A lot of false promises on improvements...oh wait we have snack baskets. But I really see nothing but downgrades on my normal routes.

TXbizman Feb 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1 (Post 17994174)
WHAT??? That's a BF flight and should have had 3 entree options! What did the FA's say about that?

Yep - it is BF flight on 747-400. I was surprised that there was only two choices - the FA said she felt embarrassed as it just got changed. A few days ago, it was the normal 3 course meal. A few months ago, my folks flew LAX-HNL on 739 in FC and they even got 3 course meal.

Aloha1 Feb 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 17994835)
Time to start organizing protests - although Larry K was far more receptive to customer feedback, we'll need to at least try.

I can't believe the transcon service was gutted!

What do you recommend? This cannot go unanswered.

Aloha1 Feb 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by TXbizman (Post 17996090)
Yep - it is BF flight on 747-400. I was surprised that there was only two choices - the FA said she felt embarrassed as it just got changed. A few days ago, it was the normal 3 course meal. A few months ago, my folks flew LAX-HNL on 739 in FC and they even got 3 course meal.

Unacceptable:td:

MrAndy1369 Feb 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for the clarification - however, on this webpage regarding FC dining, here's the information:

Greater than 2,300 miles (Approximately 5 hours or longer) A full hot meal service followed by a pre-arrival snack or a light and refreshing snack on late night departures followed by a pre-arrival warm scone
I've checked and all EWR transcons (SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX/SNA/SAN) are over 2,300 miles, so shouldn't they all be treated the same? :confused:

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17996002)

Actually, DL only has BE-lite service for LAX/SFO transcons exJFK. All other JFK transcons (SEA/PDX/SAN/SNA) are treated like regular midcons, with no printed menus/warmed nuts/apps/sundae service. AA, however, treats all transcons equally (printed menus, 3-course service, sundaes) with the LAX/SFO transcons having 3-class service standards. US does not offer any enhanced transcon service for PHL/CLT transcons in F.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619 (Post 17996054)
Hopefully this doesn't stay that way. Even DL treats SAN/SEA etc same as LAX/SFO.

cerealmarketer Feb 11, 2012 4:55 pm

It sounds like the UA non PS transcons were upgraded (before all they had was salad + 2 mains + cookie -- really, it was that bad) to include appetizer and sundae.

But this came at the expense of the non SFO/LAX EWR transcons and Hawaii flights on CO.

:td::td:

So you've effectively downgraded your net product out of the most competitive market you have - NY - to upgrade your fortress IAD flights to a bare acceptable standard.

Have an EWR-SFO tomorrow in paid biz; debating whether to switch to a JFK flight on Delta with the conflicting reports about the state of EWR-LAX/SFO.

channa Feb 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 17996799)
Have an EWR-SFO tomorrow in paid biz; debating whether to switch to a JFK flight on Delta with the conflicting reports about the state of EWR-LAX/SFO.

This is a no-brainer in and of itself. DL has a BE seat with guaranteed PTVs and Internet. DL also throws in lounge access.

EWR-LAX/SFO is usually a regular seat, likely AVOD but possibly no IFE, and guaranteed no Internet. No lounge access on these flights.

cerealmarketer Feb 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 17997058)
This is a no-brainer in and of itself. DL has a BE seat with guaranteed PTVs and Internet. DL also throws in lounge access.

EWR-LAX/SFO is usually a regular seat, likely AVOD but possibly no IFE, and guaranteed no Internet. No lounge access on these flights.

Ah usually yes, but got one of the 752s with lie flat.

If Delta ever amended its SWU policy to be like UAs and AAs (really only reason to go for 1K...though with Coupon Connction one wonders)...NY wouldn't be such a tough nut for them to crack...

bocastephen Feb 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1 (Post 17996259)
What do you recommend? This cannot go unanswered.

The same as we did last time.

Stick to the facts, and make our views "heard" loud and clear here, through emails to CustomerCare and through letters to the Exec Suite.

In the past it was easier because we had the DO events and one special FTer who had Larry's ear (and who helped stave off some very unfortunate changes).

Now we're on our own, and up against leadership who is looking at numbers, not product - but it still needs to be done. We're talking minor incremental fractional cents per seat mile to the airline (even on upgraded seats), but it's a significant product downgrade for us.

Aloha1 Feb 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 18000875)
The same as we did last time.

Stick to the facts, and make our views "heard" loud and clear here, through emails to CustomerCare and through letters to the Exec Suite.

In the past it was easier because we had the DO events and one special FTer who had Larry's ear (and who helped stave off some very unfortunate changes).

Now we're on our own, and up against leadership who is looking at numbers, not product - but it still needs to be done. We're talking minor incremental fractional cents per seat mile to the airline (even on upgraded seats), but it's a significant product downgrade for us.

+1^ Count me in.