FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   New CO Domestic F dinner meals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1312055-new-co-domestic-f-dinner-meals.html)

PhillyPhlyer40 Feb 8, 2012 8:14 pm

New CO Domestic F dinner meals

....A change I wont like.

No Soup
No Desert
SMALL fruit bowl
Cr@ppy "chicken" meat
No starch

On the positive, one non-meal flight had a snackbasket. :rolleyes:

EWR764 Feb 8, 2012 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 17979814)
....A change I wont like.

No Soup
No Desert
SMALL fruit bowl
Cr@ppy "chicken" meat
No starch

Sounds like the legacy UA service. I knew CO's rather generous dinner service wouldn't last.

Which flight did you see this on? Seems strange that they'd serve fruit with dinner.

star_world Feb 9, 2012 7:53 am

What route? What time of the day?

bocastephen Feb 9, 2012 8:43 am

This sounds like the new snack plate, replacing the previously loathed salted luncheon meat and cheese.

Mine included a fruit bowl, cracker and cheese, cold sliced chicken breast on pasta salad, small brownie.

UA-NYC Feb 9, 2012 8:48 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 17982289)
This sounds like the new snack plate, replacing the previously loathed salted luncheon meat and cheese.

Mine included a fruit bowl, cracker and cheese, cold sliced chicken breast on pasta salad, small brownie.

That's the LGA-ORD meal (and other 800 mile-ish flights). Have found it quite good, esp on that length of flight.

bocastephen Feb 9, 2012 8:59 am

here is what CO is showing for their domestic F meals...

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...ss/dining.aspx

pptp Feb 9, 2012 9:10 am

That's the new cold plate. It's actually quite good. The chicken seems to have a little smoke flavor and is well seasoned. The pasta salad is very good. I try to avoid the empty calories of pasta but couldn't stop eating it. Comes with a packaged piece of cheese too. Overall, much better than the old one---more like the Bethune era cold plates.

BTW, since when is pasta not a starch?

TXbizman Feb 9, 2012 10:10 am

Originally Posted by star_world (Post 17981981)
What route? What time of the day?

I was on CO2 (HNL-IAH @ 7:20 pm) and was surprised and disappointed with the meal service: Chicken/rice/green beans/marinara sauce, salad, and small bowl of smoked salmon OR pasta, salad, and small bowl of salmon. Did have cart of ice cream and fixings. Even the FA was apologetic as the menu drastically changed from Jan to Feb.

JDT1955 Feb 9, 2012 10:26 am

I was on CLE-PHX on CO last night and noticed the FC dinner didn't include soup, which I consider the best part of PMCO FC meals. Is soup gone with the merger or just hit and miss? The meal itself (salad followed by short ribs with vermicelli rice) was quite good, just missing my soup! Also, the warmed nuts were nothing but almonds. Is it luck of the draw between cashews (everyone's favorite, it seems) and the others? The warm cookie at the end was fine, I'm just not that big a cookie fan...

PDXPremier Feb 9, 2012 10:32 am

Originally Posted by JDT1955 (Post 17983001)
I was on CLE-PHX on CO last night and noticed the FC dinner didn't include soup, which I consider the best part of PMCO FC meals. Is soup gone with the merger or just hit and miss? The meal itself (salad followed by short ribs with vermicelli rice) was quite good, just missing my soup! Also, the warmed nuts were nothing but almonds. Is it luck of the draw between cashews (everyone's favorite, it seems) and the others? The warm cookie at the end was fine, I'm just not that big a cookie fan...

Sad when the warm nuts revert back to mixed nuts (which are mostly almonds)...always have to keep my fingers crossed for the cashews! :)

bocastephen Feb 9, 2012 10:34 am

I'm concerned about reports the soup is gone - this was one of the highlights of the F meal and a stalwart of the CO product for years.

TXbizman Feb 9, 2012 11:12 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 17983054)
I'm concerned about reports the soup is gone - this was one of the highlights of the F meal and a stalwart of the CO product for years.

I miss soup too - it was always soothing and I have tons of small packets of crushed red pepper that makes the soup even taste better. Now what am I going to do with all my crushed pepper?:(

pptp Feb 9, 2012 1:33 pm

The soup is not gone. Not familiar enough with the changes to tell you why certain one haven't seen it.

joel67 Feb 9, 2012 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by JDT1955 (Post 17983001)

Exactly the same meal ORD-SFO this week (in C). I assume you also had the broccoli on the side? This actually seemed like a good cross between the tastier PMCO meals and the healthier PMUA meals. My only disappointment was the cookie since I had been hoping for a sundae.

(Food was different, but also good on the return. No soup either way.)

Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA Feb 9, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 17980100)
Sounds like the legacy UA service. I knew CO's rather generous dinner service wouldn't last.

Which flight did you see this on? Seems strange that they'd serve fruit with dinner.

Really????????????????????????? It is the new COua CEO forwarding these decisions. This is $misek 100%.

But overall I don't know what the OP is saying, just had dinner on DCA- IAH on Monday and there was soup (albeit cold- served by a lackluster CO staff from EWR).

Facts-> straight-> PLEASE :)

FriendlySkies Feb 9, 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 17979814)

Which is way better than PMCO non-meal flights where this is all you would get

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...23022090_n.jpg

dinoscool3 Feb 9, 2012 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA (Post 17984349)
Really????????????????????????? It is the new COua CEO forwarding these decisions. This is $misek 100%.

But overall I don't know what the OP is saying, just had dinner on DCA- IAH on Monday and there was soup (albeit cold- served by a lackluster CO staff from EWR).

Just because you think Smisek is making the changes (he isn't as in charge in this area as the COO though, who is by chance is a PMUAer) doesn't mean he won't go the UA way on things.

EWR764 Feb 9, 2012 2:40 pm

My facts are totally straight. The PMUA mid con dinner service had warm nuts, a salad, roll, hot dish and cookie to finish. No soup.

The OP did not indicate what flight he was on nor the time of day, so I suppose i jumped the gun a bit. But this tired refrain of "Smisek is running the show so it's all CO" is utterly useless and patently false. There are aspects of the merged product that have come from both sides.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 17984369)
Which is way better than PMCO non-meal flights where this is all you would get...

Not exactly true. On plenty of non-mealtime PMCO flights, the much-maligned cold plate was served. Still more substantial than a snack basket, but I am glad the UA cold plate has seemingly survived.

goldelite8 Feb 9, 2012 2:42 pm

It seems as if the somewhat longer mid-con flights (>3.5 hours) will receive a salad followed by a main course. I recently flew EWR-FLL and we received cream of mushroom soup with a spinach/chicken wrap. For some reason, they only catered one option on this flight even though the amenities page reads "Light meal featuring a choice of a hot sandwich or salad main course option." The soup was good (as usual) but the sandwich was absolutely disgusting. I really miss the hot entrees.

Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA Feb 9, 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 (Post 17984487)
Just because you think Smisek is making the changes (he isn't as in charge in this area as the COO though, who is by chance is a PMUAer) doesn't mean he won't go the UA way on things.

The fact is CEO sets the tone and direction of departments. In any event this must not have been a dinner flight, as we do get warm nits and soup on mid con dinner flights. ^^

The comment was a. wrong and b. if true, his displeasure was incorrectly focused on PMUA and not the current management team. :D

demkr Feb 9, 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 17982320)
That's the LGA-ORD meal (and other 800 mile-ish flights). Have found it quite good, esp on that length of flight.

Hey, wasn't this the one flight they exempted from the meal rules due to competition at one time? Or did they revert back to all snack service?

FriendlySkies Feb 9, 2012 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 17984635)
Not exactly true. On plenty of non-mealtime PMCO flights, the much-maligned cold plate was served. Still more substantial than a snack basket, but I am glad the UA cold plate has seemingly survived.

And on the flight without a cold plate, the almonds were all that you got. I'm pleased to see the snack basket surviving, as one bag of almonds on a 862 mile flight is not my idea of a snack.

ayodeji13 Feb 9, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm about to fly Iah-ont in f. hopefully I get lucky

nycboy Feb 9, 2012 6:48 pm

Thats a snack plate. Bring back cheeseburger.

darksidesith Feb 9, 2012 6:54 pm

I know it seems odd, but I would take a hot cheeseburger, salad, since I know what fries would taste like and a sundae or dessert item anytime. I am not very picky. Since I have zero reimbursement for meals I love free food. Not everyone has an expense account while flying for business.

PhillyPhlyer40 Feb 9, 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17984183)
The soup is not gone. Not familiar enough with the changes to tell you why certain one haven't seen it.

The soup IS gone. According to the FA's on my flight Tuesday night-and confirmed on today's flights.

So, flight was EWR-IAH (CO 39) on Tuesday. Meal was listed as "dinner" which historically was Soup, Salad, Entree w/starch, and seperate desert after dinner. Has been that way for YEARS.

Tuesday was Salad (in the SAME bowl that cereal in the UC's is served-IAH "E" club this am). Smallish-bowl. Entree w/OUT starch. Fruit in a cup just a little bigger than a nut ramkin. Fruit was 1/2 circle of orange, 1/2 circle of grapefruit, 3 grapes, 2 pieces of cantalope. Fresh baked cookie after tray was taken. The nuts were mixed, and served warm in a bowl.

The snack basket was Tuesday night IAH-MSY. Included tolberone's, pop-chips, banannas and other various stuff...have seen it on UA ORD-IAD previously.

Today, I had the scone on an early MSY-IAH flight.

Took the "lunch" IAH-EWR flight. Lunch was changed. (spoke with crew, said the new meals are rolling out slowly. They started on Monday)

Lunch was: Beef wrap (not changed), SOUP-served in the "salad" bowl from dinner-aka the cereal bowl at the UC. (This is HORRIBLE for soup 'containment', and the soup slops all over), fruit in the small-ish nut cup, and NO milano cookie! Fresh baked cookies were served later in the flight.

See above...100% straight!

Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA Feb 9, 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 17986092)
The soup IS gone. According to the FA's on my flight Tuesday night-and confirmed on today's flights.

So, flight was EWR-IAH (CO 39) on Tuesday. Meal was listed as "dinner" which historically was Soup, Salad, Entree w/starch, and seperate desert after dinner. Has been that way for YEARS.

Tuesday was Salad (in the SAME bowl that cereal in the UC's is served-IAH "E" club this am). Smallish-bowl. Entree w/OUT starch. Fruit in a cup just a little bigger than a nut ramkin. Fruit was 1/2 circle of orange, 1/2 circle of grapefruit, 3 grapes, 2 pieces of cantalope. Fresh baked cookie after tray was taken. The nuts were mixed, and served warm in a bowl.

The snack basket was Tuesday night IAH-MSY. Included tolberone's, pop-chips, banannas and other various stuff...have seen it on UA ORD-IAD previously.

Took the "lunch" IAH-EWR flight. Lunch was changed. (spoke with crew, said the new meals are rolling out slowly. They started on Monday)

Lunch was: Beef wrap (not changed), SOUP-served in the "salad" bowl from dinner-aka the cereal bowl at the UC. (This is HORRIBLE for soup 'containment', and the soup slops all over), fruit in the small-ish nut cup, and NO milano cookie! Fresh baked cookies were served later in the flight.

Oh OK I guess I imagined my soup, as did others.

joel67 Feb 9, 2012 7:31 pm

No mention of a vegetable. Did these dinners ever come with vegetables?

Also, what exactly was the entree? Just curious whether it was something that would seem odd without a starch (or a vegetable?).

pptp Feb 9, 2012 8:33 pm

The soup IS gone.

Lunch was: Beef wrap (not changed), SOUP-served in the "salad" bowl from dinner-aka the cereal bowl at the UC

Ummm, which is it?

BTW, they must have gotten the wrong bowls. It's supposed to be the same as the (smaller) fruit bowl.

UA-NYC Feb 9, 2012 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 17984635)
My facts are totally straight. The PMUA mid con dinner service had warm nuts, a salad, roll, hot dish and cookie to finish. No soup.

Does LGA-DEN and vv (1,600 miles) count as a midcon? I've had soup on that route multiple times.

bocastephen Feb 9, 2012 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17986505)
Ummm, which is it?

BTW, they must have gotten the wrong bowls. It's supposed to be the same as the (smaller) fruit bowl.

So the soup is sometimes served, but now in a tinier bowl like the demitasse cup from BF?

How cheap can they get?

What was wrong with the old meals?? :confused:

channa Feb 9, 2012 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17982451)
That's the new cold plate. It's actually quite good. The chicken seems to have a little smoke flavor and is well seasoned. The pasta salad is very good. I try to avoid the empty calories of pasta but couldn't stop eating it. Comes with a packaged piece of cheese too. Overall, much better than the old one---more like the Bethune era cold plates.

BTW, since when is pasta not a starch?

You must be a CO person. As a frequent UA flyer, talk to me in a month or two when you get tired of it. ;)

It's actually a bit different than the old UA pasta/chicken plate.

The new one has a fruit bowl (UA's didn't), and UA used to offer a choice of sandwich or the pasta/chicken plate. It seems there is no longer a sandwich option on pasta/chicken flights.

Shows you how many of these things I've had...

OrlandoFlyer Feb 9, 2012 9:55 pm

On a EWR to MCO flight this evening, the soup was still there except it the quantity of it was about 25% of what it used to be. I think that the CO china has been replaced and now they have much smaller dishes. The soup and fruit bowel dishes were much smaller than I have ever seen, and consequently so were the offerings in them.

The breakfast served in the morning on my MCO to EWR flight has been reduced in size and quality. They used to serve a hot breakfast with a cheese omlette, a piece of canadian bacon, a piece of turkey sausage, and some sort of potatoes. All in all not a great, but not too bad a hot breakfast meal plus fruit and yogurt. Today I was offered eggs or cereal. I chose eggs expecting the usual breakfast, and instead got this soggy pastry pie thing with supposedly some sort of eggs in it. Totally tasteless and unedible.

So if $ismek thinks he is improving the in-flight product as his PR segment prior to the safety movie that one is subjected to at the begining of each flight tries to convey, he is dreaming. The domestic FC food offering has seriously gone down hill this year.

pptp Feb 9, 2012 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 17986791)
You must be a CO person. As a frequent UA flyer, talk to me in a month or two when you get tired of it. ;)

It's actually a bit different than the old UA pasta/chicken plate.

The new one has a fruit bowl (UA's didn't), and UA used to offer a choice of sandwich or the pasta/chicken plate. It seems there is no longer a sandwich option on pasta/chicken flights.

Shows you how many of these things I've had...

Yeah, you know how it is; anything new, we all---PAX and crew---gobble up voraciously simply because it's something different (not only talking about food). I'm sure my review won't be so raving after I've eaten 450 of them.

At least it has good flavor, plenty of protein and carbs and is a filling plate.

channa Feb 9, 2012 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17986949)
At least it has good flavor, plenty of protein and carbs and is a filling plate.

Agreed. While it gets old, it's certainly reasonable for a cold meal, and it gets the job done if you're running between flights and don't have time to get something.

And UA did have variants in the pasta -- Mediterranean on farfalle (olives, feta), Asian (mandarin oranges, sesame dressing), and sun-dried tomato on tortellini (fresh mozzarella, s.d. tomatoes) -- so they did change it up from time to time, so maybe we'll see some differences over time.

qukslvr619 Feb 9, 2012 10:28 pm

Transcons exEWR

Anyone had any experience exEWR? I dont know if IAD is being treated differently than EWR but the lunch I had today out of IAD was basically the equivalent to the standard dinner exIAH with the addition of a salmon appetizer and ice cream. Appetizer, salad, entree served all at once and only two choices of entrees, no menus. Wondering if EWR is still being treated differently or is downgraded to the "new" standard. My suspicion is it has been aligned in which case I'm not a fan.

pptp Feb 9, 2012 10:33 pm

Remember the "premium" trans-con debacle a few years ago? Not the UA premium but the CO version which was EWR to LAX or SFO only (I think). Those select few were the only ones that got the true trans-con meal experience while all the rest got standard long haul treatment. Remember your howls of protest that got it changed back?

That program has returned.

bdraco Feb 9, 2012 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by TXbizman (Post 17982880)
I was on CO2 (HNL-IAH @ 7:20 pm) and was surprised and disappointed with the meal service: Chicken/rice/green beans/marinara sauce, salad, and small bowl of smoked salmon OR pasta, salad, and small bowl of salmon. Did have cart of ice cream and fixings. Even the FA was apologetic as the menu drastically changed from Jan to Feb.

I was on CO2 Wednesday night.

The sausage biscuit for breakfast wasn't bad though. Better then just fruit like normal.

Dinner service was definitely a downgrade.

bocastephen Feb 9, 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by pptp (Post 17987015)
Remember the "premium" trans-con debacle a few years ago? Not the UA premium but the CO version which was EWR to LAX or SFO only (I think). Those select few were the only ones that got the true trans-con meal experience while all the rest got standard long haul treatment. Remember your howls of protest that got it changed back?

That program has returned.

They didn't get the "don't screw with our meals" hint the last time?

I guess we need to start howling again. Next Tuesday will be my intro to the new meals and I plan on snapping pics and distributing my shrunken-headed dinner over social media channels to get people talking.

What is it with the new leadership team and this constant nickel and dime attitude?

Hey, this ain't IBM - you're running a service business - remember that.

channa Feb 9, 2012 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 17987036)
They didn't get the "don't screw with our meals" hint the last time?

I guess we need to start howling again. Next Tuesday will be my intro to the new meals and I plan on snapping pics and distributing my shrunken-headed dinner over social media channels to get people talking.

What is it with the new leadership team and this constant nickel and dime attitude?

Hey, this ain't IBM - you're running a service business - remember that.

If you're going to go down this route, please be sure to be specific on which areas were impacted, otherwise they'll tear you apart by countering with the upgrades:

From the CO perspective, many short hauls that were no meal now get a snack basket. And redeye cold plate flights that were just meat and chese now have the more substantial pasta/chicken plate.

From the UA perspective, the transcons have improved catering with appetizer and sundaes.

You'll need to be precise on the areas of downgrade -- UA mid-con hot breakfast replaced the omelet with an egg sandwich/mcmuffin, and UA mid-con flights departing between meal times now have the pasta/chicken "snack" plate.

I'm sure you can fill in the CO nuances. I try to stay off CO metal whenever possible, so I can't help you much with those changes.