Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vaya con Dios, Continental Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Airlines are not like other companies. Customers develop long term relationships with airlines - we spend endless hours on aircraft, in airports, lounges, seeing many of the same employees and fighting through the bad times as well as enjoying the good times. In addition, our airlines are part of great vacation memories.

When an airline goes away, there is a strong emotional bond that needs to be broken. Kettles off the street probably don't care one way or the other - but when you spend as much time on a single airline as many of us do, and often for many years at a stretch, you develop an attachment based on memories and experiences....
I never thought of it that way. I like to think that it is a brick that occasionally loves me back, but your point of an emotional connection by association with life events is spot on. ^

I associate CO with my first solo work trip to China, as a young 25 year old, going to place that I never though I would, never mind at such a young age. It was a pivotal moment in my life and carrer, and I will always think of CO with nostalgia. CO was who I boarded for that journey, and I will never forget.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I started flying CO in Cleveland when United dehubbed CLE. I've been flying ever since expect for a couple of years here in MEM when I got murdered on the 50%EQM for flying NW. As soon as NW and CO severed their relationship, I went back to CO.

I've noticed a drop in "niceness" but then that's happened everywhere it seems. Very few companies in the US seem to care about customer service.

There are things about CO I'll miss, but I'm hoping that we will get E+ and fewer of those tiny things I have to fly out of MEM.

I remember losing Eastern years ago. Times change. We move on.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:55 am

I will never forget what I was told by a fellow passenger while deplaning at IAH once, "CO is the only airline that still has some sense they are in the Customer Service Business". That memory will always stick with me and a great reason why I always respected CO as much as I have.

I have had my fare share of issues with CO over the years, but in general it has always been a good experience. I am going to miss CO very much.

Thank you for the great times and great memories.

Dan
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I will miss CO. They have been my recent favorite among US carriers, though I haven't been able to fly them much recently because of schedule factors. The good news is that several senior CO people will be running much of operations. I hope all this goes smoothly because i hope soon to fly the new company, the network depth will make it an easy choice for me. I still will miss CO.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: UA - GS/1MM, Marriott- PT, SPG-Gold/Fairmont Presidents
Thank you Gordon and Continental!

Great Post! Lets hope Jeff wakes up and realizes that following the pack will get him nowhere. Pillows, blankets, a loyalty program that truly rewards you for being loyal, and meals at mealtime really did distinguish Continental from the rest.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by usa18dca
Touche, I started flying CO in 2007...technically I flew EA in 1988-1991 but that was a different time, a different ERA, and a different industry.
Same here - I started flying Eastern on business in the mid 80's. I would have felt a stronger sense of loss of them if they hadn't self destructed (one night at FLL the baggage crew staged a slow down and made us wait an hour for our bags). Still, it just felt weird for a long time flying another airline.

There is power and emotional impact in a name. Try changing brands on your consumer products (toothpaste, sodas, etc.) and you realize it's more than just flavor.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Another out-of-date appraisal of UA.

The fact is UA has made huge strides since the bad ole' days when you swore them off, while CO has been visibly slipping.

Just imagine if you had last flown CO during its Frank Lorenzo period and your view of it never evolved since...
I flew UA yesterday and Monday. Good enough for you?

Service was OK on board, though crew was disinterested. Initial reservation was made with my CO number in the record via the UA site. It wouldn't let me check-in. Call to UA web support had them saying that they needed to reissue ticket (the ticket was purchased via UA website on Friday PM). When they did that, my CO number got dropped from the record... and the website would not let me edit the record to add it at check-in. UA agent at IAD grudgingly agreed to change the number in the record and said it would stick for outbound & return. It didn't. I had to get the GA at DEN to fix the issue (again) for the return flight.

If it works the same way it did when I had a similar problem earlier this year with a flight booked on the CO code, I'll never get the credit. CO will send the request to UA, who will ignore it.

Granted, the UA folks are not as likely to outright lie to my face about a delay to "keep you from taking another airline" (causing me to miss the last flight of the night out of ORD, resulting in a missed meeting next AM) like they did a number of years ago, and granted that CO has come down a few notches, but my experiences with UA remain below my experiences with AA and DL. They are significantly better than US, though.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Did anyone else think this post was yet another Plat member saying 'hasta la vista' and jumping ship to AA, DL etc. in hopes of more upgrades? I wish it were because of the influx of new elites with whom I will be competing for upgrades.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I flew UA yesterday and Monday. Good enough for you?

Service was OK on board, though crew was disinterested. Initial reservation was made with my CO number in the record via the UA site. It wouldn't let me check-in. Call to UA web support had them saying that they needed to reissue ticket (the ticket was purchased via UA website on Friday PM). When they did that, my CO number got dropped from the record... and the website would not let me edit the record to add it at check-in. UA agent at IAD grudgingly agreed to change the number in the record and said it would stick for outbound & return. It didn't. I had to get the GA at DEN to fix the issue (again) for the return flight.

If it works the same way it did when I had a similar problem earlier this year with a flight booked on the CO code, I'll never get the credit. CO will send the request to UA, who will ignore it.

Granted, the UA folks are not as likely to outright lie to my face about a delay to "keep you from taking another airline" (causing me to miss the last flight of the night out of ORD, resulting in a missed meeting next AM) like they did a number of years ago, and granted that CO has come down a few notches, but my experiences with UA remain below my experiences with AA and DL. They are significantly better than US, though.
Sorry to hear about all of your problems.

I'm a former CO elite who has been flying UA pretty consistenly since 2006. I have never experienced any of these issues, but obviously my experience is just that, my experience.

I will say that much of what you describe I have experienced, to one degree or another, on CO.

In any case, it's all about to become moot as the two airlines slowly begin the process of merger.

I just hope that the management of the new airline does keep the best, tangible attributes of UA, including E+...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I just hope that the management of the new airline does keep the best, tangible attributes of UA, including E+...

Though I think a lot of the UA benefits come from the intangibles, which maybe why many of the COers don't see it (except those who have status on both carriers).

UA does a really good job with Elite customer service, and they tend to treat Elites well in IRROPS situations and other situations.

Also, items that are not on CO's radar -- like how quickly CS responds to an Elite member -- is not taken into COnsideration at CO.

While CO likes to boast about how great their culture is, much of that greatness has been eroded in the years since Gordon left. What's the point about telling staff they're empowered when they're really not. I suppose if the employees buy into the cheerleading, perhaps it saves the COmpany a few bucks in pay during contract negotiations. But that comes at the expense of customer service.

At the end of the day, after multiple years as both UA and CO Elite, most in a similar such situation will find that that UA's culture is lot more service- and customer-oriented, and CO's culture is more hyped.

I would hate to see United go from its customer focus to an employee focus like CO has. It's great when the employees are happy and proud of their employer, but what's the point if their hands are tied to the point where they're not allowed to or too afraid to do anything for the customer?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: CO Plat; Marriott Silver; Hilton Gold
Great Post theblakefish

And a major + 1 from me !

Thanks to all of the Continental people who have made my flying experiences the past few years as enjoyable as possible. And to those who lurk/contribute in this forum, we appreciate your time and input.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by theblakefish
With the entity currently known as Continental Airlines, Inc. having an existence of less than 72 hours, I wanted to table a few things that I think need to be said...again. :-: There are and will be several threads on this, but there needs to be, because this organization will cease to exist in a few days.

Continental Airlines has, since I began flying regularly in the mid-1990's, been able to deliver a product that was predictable and fun. You did not get a $100 bill or 50-inch seats in coach, but they were able to deliver about 20 things at a level 5% higher than the competition, and it showed. Some airlines did a better job with this, others did a better job with that. But no one domestically did it all better than Continental.

Thank You. ^

I have been able to do things and see events, and talk with people within CO that I would never dreamed of, mainly due to a select few people here on FT and starting with Gordon Bethune, but also due to people like Scott O'Leary, Larry Kellner, and other people who's names I cannot remember. There is no other airline that has done this at any level approaching what Continental has done.

Thank You. ^

I enjoy a lot of things that are sure to continue: great service from IAH and good frequency to CLL, awesome frequency to many destinations in Europe, the PC's, EUA's, mileage bonuses, no scAirBus planes, and many, many other things.

Thank You. ^

Continental has been a big part of the community of Southeast Texas and particularly the Houston area through their philanthropy and support of various organizations.

Thank You. ^

Some people have shown negative attitudes or are complete smarta$$es towards the staff of CO on this board , but I appreciated the Most Professional Men and Women in the Business...a lot. That phrase was stated a lot, because they deserved it...a lot.

Thank You. ^

Continental was also the subject of one of the biggest turnarounds in American business history, and it is a subject that I have found absolutely fascinating. Continental filed for bankruptcy several times and, honestly, should have been broken up like Eastern -- it was such a horrible airline and was so poorly run for a long time. What Gordon Bethune did from 1994 forward is nothing short of remarkable, and it is due to his Worst to First mentality and the remarkable spirit of the staff at CO that made it the envy of the entire aviation industry. To Gordo and the staff who did it:

Thank You. ^

Finally, and I think that this is because of my upbringing, but I have always been attracted to entities and organizations that have a strong sense of self-worth and/or Esprit de Corps. I went to a University like that. My family is like that. I work at a company like that. Continental was like that. You could tell by the way that the mainline staff worked, spoke, and the way that they handled their business. CO and maybe one other airline have had a strong sense of self and what they have achieved and will achieve...Let's hope that some of the old CO spirit bleeds through to the new organization. For that, I say a rousing and very emotional:

Thank You. ^

Yes, I drank CO.O.L.-Aid and I continue will drink heavily until it runs out on October 1st. CO wasn't perfect...no organization ever is and most certainly not one in the aviation industry, but I liked it. No one can ever tell me different...I just liked it. From Walter T. Varney to Robert F. Six to Gordon M. Bethune to Larry W. Kellner...Marlon D. Greene...Chavon...pilots, flight attendants, gate staff, Chelsea, baggage handlers, reservation agents, P-Club employees, headquarters staff....everyone.

Thank You for everything, Continental. Vaya con Dios, and THANK YOU! ^
+1. It's a sad thing to say farewell to the best airline in the business and the end of an era, but this is it. I felt this way when I walked into the DEN President's club the day before it closed.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
While We're Reminiscing

Let's not forget the other Continental (Continental Airways).

This Continental has not been with use since 2007 and I'm sure few of you have the emotional attachment to it that you have to Continental Airlines.

Here is a picture of one of the three T-154's Continental Airways operated from their base at SVO:

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Let's not forget the other Continental (Continental Airways).

This Continental has not been with use since 2007 and I'm sure few of you have the emotional attachment to it that you have to Continental Airlines.

Here is a picture of one of the three T-154's Continental Airways operated from their base at SVO:

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia
HA! Not quite the same....
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by channa
Though I think a lot of the UA benefits come from the intangibles, which maybe why many of the COers don't see it (except those who have status on both carriers).

UA does a really good job with Elite customer service ... most in a similar such situation will find that that UA's culture is lot more service- and customer-oriented ...
I was UA Premier for about 5 years (early to mid 80s), and after a couple years w/o status it quickly became evident that status was a huge discriminator in terms of what I could no longer expect in terms of customer service

as a result I have averaged less than 4 UA flights a year (probably less than 3 if you only count revenue travel); most of my miles have gone to DL and TW, with a handful to AS

my first experience with the post-Frank Lorenzo CO was in Sep 97 ... EWR-SEA (on a 733!) was weight-limited and was going to make a fuel stop in MSP, so I took the offer of a $250 voucher plus the F seat on a 757 two hours later

between CO/NW/HP/AS and lots of transcon travel I have been able to maintain Silver between 99 and 04, and Gold since ... CO has treated me very well these 10+ years, but overall I'm very neutral about CO/UA in the near term ... among the things I will be watching closely are E+, Channel 9, expanding E70/CR7 service (with respect to the scope clause), Q400s, SDC/standby policies, BUP/HUP fares, and the CO PDA functionality

I will make Silver next month, but the debate is whether I should do a couple of mileage runs to reach Gold again or put the effort into maximizing DL rollover on top of Gold to get closer to the MillionMiler level (currently about 720K); since all my business travel and most of my short-notice award travel is domestic, upgrades are probably the most important benefit

211 CO flights to date, plus one Boeing Flight Test mission on a 72S way back in Nov 80 ... overall, a pretty fine ride

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.