Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vaya con Dios, Continental Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I have had some of my very best flying experiences (on a domestic-based carrier) on CO (SAT-AMS, great flight, great service end-to-end), and a couple of my worst. The only complaint I have now are issues with mileage credits on UA codeshares.

UA on the other hand, produced a couple of the worst experiences I've had flying. I swore off them many years ago - even let my M+ account lapse.

CO's been a great story, and a great turnaround. I'll always hold Bethune in high regard for what he did for/with the airline and how he focused on the traveler.

My fervent hope is that CO can "infect" UA with the spirit and quality, and not vice-versa. Oh, and dump the Indian call centers.

Cheers, CO, for all you've done!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
A big +1 While the name n the plane won't change for a while, I'm certainly going to miss the old CO..
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:40 pm

Agreed...I'm gonna miss the good old days of Continental Airlines.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I have had some of my very best flying experiences (on a domestic-based carrier) on CO (SAT-AMS, great flight, great service end-to-end), and a couple of my worst. The only complaint I have now are issues with mileage credits on UA codeshares.

UA on the other hand, produced a couple of the worst experiences I've had flying. I swore off them many years ago - even let my M+ account lapse.

CO's been a great story, and a great turnaround. I'll always hold Bethune in high regard for what he did for/with the airline and how he focused on the traveler.

My fervent hope is that CO can "infect" UA with the spirit and quality, and not vice-versa. Oh, and dump the Indian call centers.

Cheers, CO, for all you've done!
Another out-of-date appraisal of UA.

The fact is UA has made huge strides since the bad ole' days when you swore them off, while CO has been visibly slipping.

Just imagine if you had last flown CO during its Frank Lorenzo period and your view of it never evolved since...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usa18dca
Agreed...I'm gonna miss the good old days of Continental Airlines.
I've been missing them since about 2005...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by coairtul
I know I speak for most of the Continental employees who lurk these boards everyday that constantly have to be degraded daily by channa. I am starting to realize that the reason he always has issues with CO is probably because there is something up with him. I know that he loves to bait people and he just snagged me, but seriously get over yourself.. Thanks theblakefish and everyone else for the opportunity to serve you..
I have nothing against the rank and file employees. They are doing their jobs day in and day out. I take issue with how those jobs are done, the systems in place, and so on, but they are following the rules set forth by their management, so as I said, nothing against the people themselves.

In fact, some of the CO employees here are more versed in the pluses and minuses of the COmpany than many of their CO-workers since they are able to hear about other airlines.

But I do appreciate you trying to make it a personal issue. A more healthy attitude would be realizing the deterioration of CO with respect to its peers over the past few years. If more of your CO-workers would understand CO's COmpetitive position in the marketplace, they would have a much healthier attitude about their COmpany, and perhaps would offer better service to COmpensate.

But again, that's not your fault. That's management's fault for keeping up the Rah! Rah! hoopla despite the deterioration of the product.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I've been missing them since about 2005...
Touche, I started flying CO in 2007...technically I flew EA in 1988-1991 but that was a different time, a different ERA, and a different industry.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:42 pm

Dear theblakefish,

A very lovely post. Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards,

A grateful employee of Continental
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfogate
Dear theblakefish,

A very lovely post. Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards,

A grateful employee of Continental
I think you will love the new company, which will be just like the old company, except bigger and with a new name...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I sure did have a great few years on CO.

Flying out of BOS, getting to know the excellent staff at the BOS P-Club. Getting to know the great bartenders in CLE until they were fired as a cost-cutting measure. The IAH ones were great too, at least someone convinced Larry to keep Tripp and Charlie. I enjoyed getting all those upgrades as a silver, then gold, then plat for several years.

All the great flights to TLV (and back again). The 'Dos were great. The SFO staff (including our own SFOGate) and especially the PC staff there that knew me well. CO Insider(+Shannon) was a great CS team, its amazing all the stuff he was able to clean up for people.

Too bad in the last few years, we were treated to deeper cuts, CO went from first to middle of the pack. Charging for 'special' drinks in F, no pillows in F, of course, that is if you could get into F (especially out of SFO) as CO consistently bolted after any quick buck they could at the cost of long term loyalty. Not to mention the chincy use of substandard contractors (COLGAN).

I used to RAH RAH too, when they deserved it. Now its just a joke. Its sad. Hopefully Jeff et al will pick up the trajectory of United rather than that of CO. That's the direction that will lead them back to First again.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by theblakefish
With the entity currently known as Continental Airlines, Inc. having an existence of less than 72 hours, I wanted to table a few things that I think need to be said...again. :-: There are and will be several threads on this, but there needs to be because this organization will cease to exist in a few days.

Continental Airlines has, since I began flying regularly in the mid-1990's, been able to deliver a product that was predictable and fun. You did not get a $100 bill or 50-inch seats in coach, but they were able to deliver about 20 things at a level 5% higher than the competition, and it showed. Some airlines did a better job with this, others did a better job with that. But no one domestically did it all better than Continental.

Thank You. ^

I have been able to do things and see events, and talk with people within CO that I would never dreamed of, mainly due to a select few people here on FT and starting with Gordon Bethune, but also due to people like Scott O'Leary, Larry Kellner, and other people who's names I cannot remember. There is no other airline that has done this at any level approaching what Continental has done.

Thank You. ^

I enjoy a lot of things that are sure to continue: great service from IAH and good frequency to CLL, awesome frequency to many destinations in Europe, the PC's, EUA's, mileage bonuses, no scAirBus planes, and many, many other things.

Thank You. ^

Continental has been a big part of the community of Southeast Texas and particularly the Houston area through their philanthropy and support of various organizations.

Thank You. ^

Some people have shown negative attitudes or are complete smarta$$es towards the staff of CO on this board , but I appreciated the Most Professional men and Women in the Business...a lot. That phrase was stated a lot, because they deserved it..a lot.

Thank You. ^

Continental was also the subject of one of the biggest turnarounds in American business history, and it is a subject that I have found absolutely fascinating. Continental filed for bankruptcy several times and, honestly, should have been broken up like Eastern -- it was such a horrible airline and was so poorly run for a long time. What Gordon Bethune did from 1994 forward is nothing short of remarkable, and it is due to his Worst to First mentality and the remarkable spirit of the staff at CO that made it the envy of the entire aviation industry. To Gordo and the staff who did it:

Thank You. ^

Finally, and I think that this is because of my upbringing, but I have always been attracted to entities and organizations that have a strong sense of self-worth and/or Esprit de Corps. I went to a University like that. My family is like that. I work at a company like that. Continental was like that. You could tell by the way that the mainline staff worked, spoke, and the way that they handled their business. CO and maybe one other airline have had a strong sense of self and what they have achieved and will achieve...Let's hope that some of the old CO spirit bleeds through to the new organization. For that, I say a rousing and very emotional:

Thank You. ^

Yes, I drank CO.O.L.-Aid and I continue will drink heavily until it runs out on October 1st. CO wasn't perfect...no organization ever is and most certainly not one in the aviation industry, but I liked it. No one can ever tell me different...I just liked it. From Walter T. Varney to Robert F. Six to Gordon M. Bethune to Larry W. Kellner...Marlon D. Greene...Chavon...pilots, flight attendants, gate staff, Chelsea, baggage handlers, reservation agents, P-Club employees, headquarters staff....everyone.

Thank You for everything, Continental. Vaya con Dios, and THANK YOU! ^
Good post. I have to say though isn't this a little dramatic? We are talking about airline now...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Good post. I have to say though isn't this a little dramatic? We are talking about airline now...
Airlines are not like other companies. Customers develop long term relationships with airlines - we spend endless hours on aircraft, in airports, lounges, seeing many of the same employees and fighting through the bad times as well as enjoying the good times. In addition, our airlines are part of great vacation memories.

When an airline goes away, there is a strong emotional bond that needs to be broken. Kettles off the street probably don't care one way or the other - but when you spend as much time on a single airline as many of us do, and often for many years at a stretch, you develop an attachment based on memories and experiences.

Flyertalk is a perfect example of this phenomenon - you don't see 'Colatalk' where people debate the operations and product quality of Coke vs Pepsi, or 'Pharmatalk', where people moan about CVS and Walgreens - airlines and hotels for that matter, are different animals.

We hope that worst of this will be Continental getting a name change, some more equipment and routes, but when an airline goes away altogether, like Northwest, Eastern or PanAm, there is definite sense of loss.

So no - I wouldn't say this is dramatic at all.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Flyertalk is a perfect example of this phenomenon - you don't see 'Colatalk' where people debate the operations and product quality of Coke vs Pepsi, or 'Pharmatalk', where people moan about CVS and Walgreens - airlines and hotels for that matter, are different animals.
While I agree with your point in general, it's worth pointing out that there is a CVS fan/deal site.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
yes i agree - thanks to Continental past, and here's to a hopeful future?!???
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by channa
While I agree with your point in general, it's worth pointing out that there is a CVS fan/deal site.
That's just a coupon site - no one there (from what I could tell) is debating CVS product quality, management decisions or other topics that take a deep dive into the business. 25% off lipstick is nice, but it's not the same thing as Flyertalk or Airliners.net.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.