Vaya con Dios, Continental Airlines

Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Vaya con Dios, Continental Airlines

With the entity currently known as Continental Airlines, Inc. having an existence of less than 72 hours, I wanted to table a few things that I think need to be said...again. :-: There are and will be several threads on this, but there needs to be, because this organization will cease to exist in a few days.

Continental Airlines has, since I began flying regularly in the mid-1990's, been able to deliver a product that was predictable and fun. You did not get a $100 bill or 50-inch seats in coach, but they were able to deliver about 20 things at a level 5% higher than the competition, and it showed. Some airlines did a better job with this, others did a better job with that. But no one domestically did it all better than Continental.

Thank You. ^

I have been able to do things and see events, and talk with people within CO that I would never dreamed of, mainly due to a select few people here on FT and starting with Gordon Bethune, but also due to people like Scott O'Leary, Larry Kellner, and other people who's names I cannot remember. There is no other airline that has done this at any level approaching what Continental has done.

Thank You. ^

I enjoy a lot of things that are sure to continue: great service from IAH and good frequency to CLL, awesome frequency to many destinations in Europe, the PC's, EUA's, mileage bonuses, no scAirBus planes, and many, many other things.

Thank You. ^

Continental has been a big part of the community of Southeast Texas and particularly the Houston area through their philanthropy and support of various organizations.

Thank You. ^

Some people have shown negative attitudes or are complete smarta$$es towards the staff of CO on this board , but I appreciated the Most Professional Men and Women in the Business...a lot. That phrase was stated a lot, because they deserved it...a lot.

Thank You. ^

Continental was also the subject of one of the biggest turnarounds in American business history, and it is a subject that I have found absolutely fascinating. Continental filed for bankruptcy several times and, honestly, should have been broken up like Eastern -- it was such a horrible airline and was so poorly run for a long time. What Gordon Bethune did from 1994 forward is nothing short of remarkable, and it is due to his Worst to First mentality and the remarkable spirit of the staff at CO that made it the envy of the entire aviation industry. To Gordo and the staff who did it:

Thank You. ^

Finally, and I think that this is because of my upbringing, but I have always been attracted to entities and organizations that have a strong sense of self-worth and/or Esprit de Corps. I went to a University like that. My family is like that. I work at a company like that. Continental was like that. You could tell by the way that the mainline staff worked, spoke, and the way that they handled their business. CO and maybe one other airline have had a strong sense of self and what they have achieved and will achieve...Let's hope that some of the old CO spirit bleeds through to the new organization. For that, I say a rousing and very emotional:

Thank You. ^

Yes, I drank CO.O.L.-Aid and I continue will drink heavily until it runs out on October 1st. CO wasn't perfect...no organization ever is and most certainly not one in the aviation industry, but I liked it. No one can ever tell me different...I just liked it. From Walter T. Varney to Robert F. Six to Gordon M. Bethune to Larry W. Kellner...Marlon D. Greene...Chavon...pilots, flight attendants, gate staff, Chelsea, baggage handlers, reservation agents, P-Club employees, headquarters staff....everyone.

Thank You for everything, Continental. Vaya con Dios, and THANK YOU! ^

Last edited by theblakefish; Sep 28, 2010 at 9:49 pm
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
Great Post. I feel the same way about Continental; it has always been two steps above the rest to me. While I miss they days of Bethune, the days of Kellner weren't bad either. The future, while uncertain, I seem to think will be relatively bright. Things will change, but remember without change there cannot be improvements. I don't have to say this because its obvious, but nothing good in life comes without great effort nil sine magno vitae debit mortalibus, and I hope that the NEW UNITED will put in the great effort to have good things come out for itself, its' shareholders, and customers (including me, and mike_asia, and everyone in between!).
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by rggale
I don't have to say this because its obvious, but nothing good in life comes without great effort nil sine magno vitae debit mortalibus, and I hope that the NEW UNITED will put in the great effort to have good things come out for itself, its' shareholders, and customers (including me, and mike_asia, and everyone in between!).
+1
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
What the heck did he just say

nil sine magno vitae debit mortalibus

Something about debit cards not working?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/COPlat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
nil sine magno vitae debit mortalibus

Something about debit cards not working?
more like amex not working anymore
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:26 pm

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by theblakefish
With the entity currently known as Continental Airlines, Inc. having an existence of less than 72 hours, I wanted to table a few things that I think need to be said...again. :-: There are and will be several threads on this, but there needs to be because this organization will cease to exist in a few days.

Continental Airlines has, since I began flying regularly in the mid-1990's, been able to deliver a product that was predictable and fun. You did not get a $100 bill or 50-inch seats in coach, but they were able to deliver about 20 things at a level 5% higher than the competition, and it showed. Some airlines did a better job with this, others did a better job with that. But no one domestically did it all better than Continental.

Thank You. ^

I have been able to do things and see events, and talk with people within CO that I would never dreamed of, mainly due to a select few people here on FT and starting with Gordon Bethune, but also due to people like Scott O'Leary, Larry Kellner, and other people who's names I cannot remember. There is no other airline that has done this at any level approaching what Continental has done.

Thank You. ^

I enjoy a lot of things that are sure to continue: great service from IAH and good frequency to CLL, awesome frequency to many destinations in Europe, the PC's, EUA's, mileage bonuses, no scAirBus planes, and many, many other things.

Thank You. ^

Continental has been a big part of the community of Southeast Texas and particularly the Houston area through their philanthropy and support of various organizations.

Thank You. ^

Some people have shown negative attitudes or are complete smarta$$es towards the staff of CO on this board , but I appreciated the Most Professional men and Women in the Business...a lot. That phrase was stated a lot, because they deserved it..a lot.

Thank You. ^

Continental was also the subject of one of the biggest turnarounds in American business history, and it is a subject that I have found absolutely fascinating. Continental filed for bankruptcy several times and, honestly, should have been broken up like Eastern -- it was such a horrible airline and was so poorly run for a long time. What Gordon Bethune did from 1994 forward is nothing short of remarkable, and it is due to his Worst to First mentality and the remarkable spirit of the staff at CO that made it the envy of the entire aviation industry. To Gordo and the staff who did it:

Thank You. ^

Finally, and I think that this is because of my upbringing, but I have always been attracted to entities and organizations that have a strong sense of self-worth and/or Esprit de Corps. I went to a University like that. My family is like that. I work at a company like that. Continental was like that. You could tell by the way that the mainline staff worked, spoke, and the way that they handled their business. CO and maybe one other airline have had a strong sense of self and what they have achieved and will achieve...Let's hope that some of the old CO spirit bleeds through to the new organization. For that, I say a rousing and very emotional:

Thank You. ^

Yes, I drank CO.O.L.-Aid and I continue will drink heavily until it runs out on October 1st. CO wasn't perfect...no organization ever is and most certainly not one in the aviation industry, but I liked it. No one can ever tell me different...I just liked it. From Walter T. Varney to Robert F. Six to Gordon M. Bethune to Larry W. Kellner...Marlon D. Greene...Chavon...pilots, flight attendants, gate staff, Chelsea, baggage handlers, reservation agents, P-Club employees, headquarters staff....everyone.

Thank You for everything, Continental. Vaya con Dios, and THANK YOU! ^
Perfect post. Thanks for listing so many great things all together. You most definitely hit the nail on the head.

Thanks CO!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
I'll also say hats off to the most professional men and women in the industry.

I started flying CO occasionally when I was in my late teens and CO and NW were partners. I was always fairly satisfied with the treatment I received by both carriers.

I noticed differences once DL took over and I my first post-college job involved travel, much of it with UA. I have flown mainly UA, DL (ex-NW from MSP) , and some AA in the last year in a half.

I began to notice the differences earlier this year once I had some CO re-exposure. CO has tried (compared to DL) put forth the customer being one of the last mainlines to eliminate food services and charge for bags. The service has always seemed to be fairly consistent and top notch (at least ex-CLE and IAH, where 90% of my CO flying has been).

The OP comments are my mutual feelings as well. As (now) a primarily loyal *A flyer, I can only hope that the CO attitude, culture, and consistency carry over to the new UA in Chicago.

Good bye Continental and a likewise Thanks Again!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
+1 - great post.

I flew Continental when they were the worst, and I've been a loyal customer since they improved to "first".

They can slap a new name on the planes and check-in counter, but my travels will continue through IAH and EWR, where I will still see familiar faces at the gate, in the Clubs and often on board my flights - so it will still be my Continental no matter what name it goes by.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bocastephen
+1 - great post.

I flew Continental when they were the worst, and I've been a loyal customer since they improved to "first".

They can slap a new name on the planes and check-in counter, but my travels will continue through IAH and EWR, where I will still see familiar faces at the gate, in the Clubs and often on board my flights - so it will still be my Continental no matter what name it goes by.
Yes, and consider yourselves lucky.

When AA "merged" with TW, AA eradicated any trace of the once-great airline in record time and then proceeded to fire virtually the entire workforce.

It was so bad, some TWA employees committed suicide.

A few TW pilots are still out there, flying MD-80's...

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Sep 28, 2010 at 7:07 pm
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You're missing the last 5 or so years. What do we call those?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I think we should create a subforum for FT members that hate for the sake of hearing themselves speak negatively.

This is getting ridiculous, who's with me??
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Agreed. Back in the 80's and early 90's it was difficult to admit that Continental was your preferred carrier.

That paradigm certainly changed over time.

SunLover
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by rggale
I think we should create a subforum for FT members that hate for the sake of hearing themselves speak negatively.

This is getting ridiculous, who's with me??
I know I speak for most of the Continental employees who lurk these boards everyday that constantly have to be degraded daily by channa. I am starting to realize that the reason he always has issues with CO is probably because there is something up with him. I know that he loves to bait people and he just snagged me, but seriously get over yourself.. Thanks theblakefish and everyone else for the opportunity to serve you..
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by channa
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA AG, WN A, MR Life PL, HH DI, Avis P+, 7*
Originally Posted by coairtul
I know I speak for most of the Continental employees who lurk these boards everyday that constantly have to be degraded daily by channa. I am starting to realize that the reason he always has issues with CO is probably because there is something up with him. I know that he loves to bait people and he just snagged me, but seriously get over yourself.. Thanks theblakefish and everyone else for the opportunity to serve you..
I'd say more or less the last two years myself, but it's not the rank and file's fault. I will always think of Gordon Bethune as the gold, the silver and the bronze of airline CEOs (although Herb Kelleher gets some love, should I say, luv from me too), but it hasn't been his airline for quite some time.

I remember when relations with Custo were cordial and you could work out problems. Now, you just say no to everything, and sometimes you get pissy about it. It's not the same airline we knew and love and had unfettered loyalty to. That's the real beef he, myself, and other have. I just take a larger view of what's going on.

Anyway, congratulations on catching Unitedbola, hope you can survive it. Hey, at least you kept The Globe. It's not all a lost cause, I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.