Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Send Two FlyerTalk Members to Antarctica: Namely, Me!...and, Possibly YOU?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Send Two FlyerTalk Members to Antarctica: Namely, Me!...and, Possibly YOU?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noneemac
... as soon as my registration confirmation e-mail pops in.

Good luck, Canarsie; you're heading in the right direction.
Thank you, noneemac!
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The lead entry has gained at least 260 votes just in the past hour.
...and the lead entry just gained 10 more votes since I posted three minutes ago...
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
That is Ree-DIC-ulous!

Thank you, noneemac!...and the lead entry just gained 10 more votes since I posted three minutes ago...
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

That is Ree-DIC-ulous!
...and the votes for the lead entry just keep on climbing at lightning speed.

Twenty-four votes registered for the lead entry between the time I first started typing this and the time this is posted.

Only days ago the lead entry was 680 votes ahead of my entry.

Now the difference is approaching 1,000 votes.

Something is not right here. I cannot believe approximately 300 people voted for the lead entry in the past hour...
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel

Twenty-four votes registered for the lead entry between the time I first started typing this and the time this is posted.

Something is not right here. I cannot believe approximately 300 people voted for the lead entry in the past hour...
Either he's "gone viral" somehow or.... maybe there's a bot out there "voting" for him, but the site has protections against automated programs (i.e., registration using Captcha is required).
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Either he's "gone viral" somehow or.... maybe there's a bot out there "voting" for him, but the site has protections against automated programs (i.e., registration using Captcha is required).
I am beginning to think that the guy doesn't exist. The site just invented him in order to get out of giving away a free trip.

After all, how much can you really trust a site which is offering a trip to Antarctica as a prize but is showing a polar bear on top of the page?

What do they use for Artic trips -- penguins?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Forehead SMACK!

LOL! Now that you mention polar bears and penguins, I'm totally inclined to agree. It's all bogus! (There's probably something in the small print that gives the promoters royalty-free rights in perpetuity to all the fine writing that appears on their contest site.)

Originally Posted by Dovster
I am beginning to think that the guy doesn't exist. The site just invented him in order to get out of giving away a free trip.

After all, how much can you really trust a site which is offering a trip to Antarctica as a prize but is showing a polar bear on top of the page?

Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel

But since they offer both Antarctic AND Arctic trips, I don't see the problem with a polar bear being a graphic.

Also, I discovered when navigating to other pages that the top graphic actually cycles through several different scenes, including ones of people in kayaks, people in large inflatable rafts, people hiking, and, yes..... penguins! I suspect that the graphics are supposed to cycle on each page. I wouldn't read too much into what might be just a programming bug.

So, I don't buy your reasoning at all. However, that doesn't mean that the contest couldn't be rigged, as you suggest. I do hope that it is not.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
LOL! Now that you mention polar bears and penguins, I'm totally inclined to agree. It's all bogus! (There's probably something in the small print that gives the promoters royalty-free rights in perpetuity to all the fine writing that appears on their contest site.)
They claim a fleet of eight ships, the newest of which is powered by two nuclear reactors that produce 75,000 horsepower. Sounds a bit far fetched, but the National Geographic site does link to them.
(scroll to ""Emperor Penguins: Snow Hill Island Safari").

If they want to maintain legitimacy, I wouldn't be surprised if in the next week the leader gets stripped of half his votes.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're concluding that "it's all bogus" on the basis of.... a graphic?

Really, now I understand how nutty urban myths get started. Seeing the scantiest bit of so-called evidence, one person jumps to a conclusion, and the next, influenced by the first, has an "aha" moment, and on and on it goes.

How about some SOLID piece of evidence that it's "bogus."
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

How about some SOLID piece of evidence that it's "bogus."
"Solid"? No. Would you settle for "suspicious"? For example, what if they changed the rules of the contest after it had already begun?

Go to the OP of this thread and note the date: July 3. The contest may well have begun even earlier than that, but we know for a fact that it was already underway at that point.

Then look for the link Canarsie posted to the rules. Click on it. On the bottom it tells you what will get you disqualified. Then there is a notation: "Updated July 7, 2009".

It would be interesting to know what was added-- or perhaps deleted -- on that date.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

The lead entry is now up to 1,334 votes.
Go to the OP of this thread and note the date: July 3. The contest may well have begun even earlier than that, but we know for a fact that it was already underway at that point.
For all intents and purposes, the contest started on June 22, 2009.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Solid"? No. Would you settle for "suspicious"? For example, what if they changed the rules of the contest after it had already begun?

Then look for the link Canarsie posted to the rules. Click on it. On the bottom it tells you what will get you disqualified. Then there is a notation: "Updated July 7, 2009".

It would be interesting to know what was added-- or perhaps deleted -- on that date.
My suggestion is this: rather than gossiping about the supposed "suspiciousness" of the contest and starting rumors that the contest isn't for real, why don't you send an e-mail voicing your concerns straight to Quark Expeditions itself, via either the Media Information or Contact Us links (both are at bottom of page).
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
I wondered if the "gamers"-type that helped mess up Live.com FF points are assisting him. Apparently not.
The front runner from Portugal is using Facebook, Twitter and more to drum up support. Try this "Dogpile" search link (picks up Google, Yahoo, MSN, and Ask) for a bunch of his postings there:
http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile/ws/re...7?_IceUrl=true

You'll see his Facebook has a link to a "Luís Monteiro, the human Penguin in Carcavelos Beach!" video now on YouTube! You will also see he has Antartica 2010 t-shirts (gee whiz...I should tackle that one...) and then he dresses up as a penguin (badly).
And he has his own website: http://www.rumoantarctica.com/
Multiple videos there and seems to have a "search presence".
(In English he is stating that he wants to win fair and square without multiple emails, etc. ) Today's blog translated states that he has again dressed up as a "penguin" on that beach again and has had friends distributing pamphlets. An RTP (Portuguese National Television) journalist is also recording / reporting on this. http://tv1.rtp.pt/noticias/index.php...945&tm=8&rss=0 for the TV video. This is the most probable reason for the jump in votes.

I'm a bit less familiar with Portuguese, but will try on those sites. No tricky language or plots seen in my first reads through. He is effectively using the media connectivity, as was done in our own last national election... Being connected is the name of the game now.

Now where would YOU get more attention, and less chance of getting arrested if YOU dressed up as a penguin and walked the streets in the States?

Last edited by flyzabit; Jul 11, 2009 at 8:40 pm
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Apparently there was a rule change due to someone creating lots of fake email accounts. I don't know what the wording change was exactly.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Apparently there was a rule change due to someone creating lots of fake email accounts. I don't know what the wording change was exactly.
There was never a rule against it previously, but now it has been updated to say that entrants can not use multiple email addresses to vote for themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.