Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Send Two FlyerTalk Members to Antarctica: Namely, Me!...and, Possibly YOU?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Send Two FlyerTalk Members to Antarctica: Namely, Me!...and, Possibly YOU?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:06 pm
HRS

Programs: DL Plat. 2V Guest Rewards
I just voted for ya! Right now I have only the slowest dial-up access for a few days. I can do more in a few days when I have high speed access.

"Yes, we can" - send Bryan to see "Opus."

HRS
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:11 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Thank you to all who have already voted and to all who will vote. Please spread the word!
Originally Posted by Canarsie
...anyway, my entry is in 12th place with 206 votes.

The lead entry has 1,500 votes.
The lead entry currently has 1,567 votes and appears to have somewhat slowed down, while my entry is currently stalled in 12th place with 214 votes.

I need at least 30 votes to propel my entry into 11th place...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I need at least 30 votes to propel my entry into 11th place...
I was just thinking that... Lets take this one step at a time, like a driver an endurance race. Pass one car at a time.

So, today's goal is to get the 30 votes and move Canarsie into 11th place. Get on it Flyertalkers!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
So, today's goal is to get the 30 votes and move Canarsie into 11th place. Get on it Flyertalkers!
The 30 votes is provided that the entry currently in 11th place does not gain any more votes.

Apparently, the key is that the authors of the entries are using the media to help them collect votes.

If it is at all possible, please contact the media in your local areas and see if they will pick up on this quest. The worst that will happen is that they refuse to do so...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I just became vote #215
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

The lead entry currently has 1,567 votes and appears to have somewhat slowed down, while my entry is currently stalled in 12th place with 214 votes.
The lead entry currently has 1,615 votes, while my entry is currently stalled in 12th place with 216 votes.

Well, at least I gained two votes today, one of them thanks to Mary2e...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:09 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
OK, so the front runner has Facebook, blog (with several Youtube/other videos featuring himself as a human penguin), Twitter, and Portuguese National Television covering him.

Why not take a hint from the following videos / solutions: CATCHY BEAT or SONGS and funny videos! :

1. SWA Safety Demo Rap, with audience participation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjyb...eature=related
(Atldlff has a year to practice his DO encore, with help from a certain FA Trainer / Video star)

2, "United Breaks Guitars" and the guy is a Flyertalker (naplesyrupeater, since 2003):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
and video went from 150 views to 150,000 views and then Youtube top video with coverage on CNN, Fox, CBS, CBC, CTV, LATimes to Der Spiegel in just a couple of days.
(In fairness, one year of UA stonewalling crumbled in a couple days from this, and they have even been "Twittering" about their fixes. (Song/Video #2 in production, #3 to follow; He has a 7/10 folllowup spoken video of Thanks to supporters.)

Last edited by flyzabit; Jul 14, 2009 at 1:38 pm
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
YouTube idea -- Canarsie's Chocolate Demo

OK, should I post a video of Canarsie demonstrating how to eat chocolate on YouTube?

I've watched stuff on YouTube but never uploaded anything to it. So I'm open to suggestions as to how this could be done to help his campaign!

I'd post a video of Canarsie in the wilderness if I had one -- unfortunately, I don't. The chocolate video is the best I can do, I'm afraid!
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:05 am

got my vote! number 218 to be exact. Just posting a shout out on my facebook page also.
Oh.....and I did think about asking you to take me.....
but not sure what I fear most......the trip through Drake Passage or sharing a twin cabin with a male stranger or
facing my husband on the return of my trip to Antarctica after sharing a twin cabin with a male stranger
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 2kind
facing my husband on the return of my trip to Antarctica after sharing a twin cabin with a male stranger
I never thought I would see such a post from a woman who lives both where Lady Godiva took her famous ride and in America's capital of sin.

Morality, apparently, is destroying our most valued traditions.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:10 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Ok voted, 219 but I guess you need a few more votes.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyzabit
OK, so the front runner has Facebook, blog (with several Youtube/other videos featuring himself as a human penguin), Twitter, and Portuguese National Television covering him.

Why not take a hint from the following videos / solutions: CATCHY BEAT or SONGS and funny videos! :

1. SWA Safety Demo Rap, with audience participation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjyb...eature=related
(Atldiff has a year to practice his DO encore, with help from a certain FA Trainer / Video star)

2, "United Breaks Guitars" and the guy is a Flyertalker (naplesyrupeater, since 2003):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
and video went from 150 views to 150,000 views and then Youtube top video with coverage on CNN, Fox, CBS, CBC, CTV, LATimes to Der Spiegel in just a couple of days.
(In fairness, one year of UA stonewalling crumbled in a couple days from this, and they have even been "Twittering" about their fixes. (Song/Video #2 in production, #3 to follow; He has a 7/10 folllowup spoken video of Thanks to supporters.)
To which many FlyerTalk members who frequent the Delta forum can attest, I have spontaneously written arguably great parody songs. I should probably link to some of them here. However, I can barely play the guitar and cannot sing to same my life.

On the other hand, that could be the perfect formula to a great YouTube video...
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
OK, should I post a video of Canarsie demonstrating how to eat chocolate on YouTube?

I've watched stuff on YouTube but never uploaded anything to it. So I'm open to suggestions as to how this could be done to help his campaign!

I'd post a video of Canarsie in the wilderness if I had one -- unfortunately, I don't. The chocolate video is the best I can do, I'm afraid!
I remember how bizarre that video was, but go ahead and post it once you figure out how!
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Ok voted, 219 but I guess you need a few more votes.
Thank you, Bundy Bear, and yes, I definitely need more than a few votes...

...in fact, 1,420 votes right now, to be exact...
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
I think you should petition Randy to help out and send out a master announcement for the entire FT community to support you.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

From
Blog Your Way to Antarctica:
The Competition Heats Up!

The competition for Quark's Official Blogger, who will sail for free to Antarctica, February 20 to March 3, 2010, is hotly contested. Nature network is supporting Grrl Scientist. Luis from Portugal has the home crowd behind him. Mike from Texas has a local entertainment blog supporting his effort. None of them can earn the right to call themselves the Official Quark Blogger without the support of voters like you.

To register to vote - or enter - visit the Blog Your Way to Antarctica site.
If I could get the vote count for my entry substantially increased, it would be great if they could add that I have the FlyerTalk membership behind me, supporting me all the way.

Are we going to allow those other areas of support to overshadow the power of FlyerTalk?!? Come on, everybody — let us show the world what the members of FlyerTalk can do!

Are you with me?!?
Originally Posted by rolov
I think you should petition Randy to help out and send out a master announcement for the entire FT community to support you.
That may not be a bad idea...
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
....I remember how bizarre that video was, but go ahead and post it once you figure out how!...
There are four versions of it, including:

2 dimly lit with background noise (conversations), after which the venue was moved to the basement for taking the next two clips;

1 where monitor interrupted by opening the door from the garage and walked in carrying a couple of rolls of paper towels, causing everyone to crack up (his head is not visible on the clip, only his torso, arms, and leg); and

1 final "good take"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.