Reload this Page >

Dissed by a FTer!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dissed by a FTer!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Like mikeef, I was dissed by one too, almost the same way, except that he was alone, (standing at the lobby of a hotel wth FT luggage tag tied to his carry-on) and didn't exactly roll his eyes. A very unfriendly chap indeed. Maybe it's the same person? Or maybe that I am one little old Asian lady that's in the wrong age group?

I have also met some that at the beginning seemed a bit 'quiet', giving the wrong impression that they didn't want to 'talk'. Then I found out that they were actually shy and didn't know how to start or join in a conversation. Once they've opened up, they're just as chatty as anyone else.

Don't let that bother or deter you from going to DOs. Most all of us are friendly and we love our fellow FTers. I have made more pals here than I can count, and a few have even become bestest personal friends forever. On my part, at least.

Last edited by belle3388; Sep 4, 2007 at 12:38 pm
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Wow, I wasn't trying to start a complaint thread, just pop up with an amusing anecdote!

Seriously, I have found most FTers to be warm and open. This run-in just confused me a bit.

Mike
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marysunshine
I had the same kind of experience when visiting in chicago about a year ago. I was traveling with two women I had met on the internet. Flyertalk was having a get together so thought we'd meet up with them. It was a small get together, three guys and one female. The female was very friendly for a brief period. One of the women I was traveling with was asking several questions about Chicago of one of the gentleman and he said something under his breath about being with and having to chat with people of our age (we are women in our 60s. )
It let me know I was no longer interested in attending any flyertalk get togethers. I will read, answer questions I have the answers to, but that's about it. So I completely empathize with your experience.
Sorry to hear of your experience, but I find the FTers I've met aren't like that at all. In fact, I'm eagerly anticipating LuckyCoins' SFO MegaDo next week -- the third one I'm attending, and the the 6th FT function I've been too. At all of these, there were FTers of all ages from high school students through long-retired -- all were welcome and a great time was had by all!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
I had the same kind of experience when visiting in chicago about a year ago. I was traveling with two women I had met on the internet. Flyertalk was having a get together so thought we'd meet up with them. It was a small get together, three guys and one female. The female was very friendly for a brief period. One of the women I was traveling with was asking several questions about Chicago of one of the gentleman and he said something under his breath about being with and having to chat with people of our age (we are women in our 60s. )
It let me know I was no longer interested in attending any flyertalk get togethers. I will read, answer questions I have the answers to, but that's about it. So I completely empathize with your experience.

Dear Marysunshine,

I haven't posted on FT since March 12, but your post prompted me to log in and reply.

We have "known" each other for quite some time on these boards, and we have exchanged useful information, I think. I always appreciate your posts.

Don't worry about not attending the FT events, I don't think you are missing all that much. The last big "do" I attended was in Chicago, and that was many years ago and more than enough. Rude people are rude people, no matter what or where.

But FT should be a friendly and welcoming place, so your experience makes me mad. I get the feeling that many FT events are organized for and around a few people, and once those few people have been "satisfied," well, the rest of the "do" doesn't really matter. But you'll never hear about it here, that's for sure! That's why I enjoyed reading this thread; it's been my experience, too.

Just my two cents.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PTravel
Sorry to hear of your experience, but I find the FTers I've met aren't like that at all. In fact, I'm eagerly anticipating LuckyCoins' SFO MegaDo next week -- the third one I'm attending, and the the 6th FT function I've been too. At all of these, there were FTers of all ages from high school students through long-retired -- all were welcome and a great time was had by all!
I agree. Matter of fact, I wish that I could actually meet some of the FTers that I have a less-than-great online relationship with. Likely, things would change as I've always enjoyed time with FTers.

And I do love San Francisco and the surrounding area. Alas, I'm not the one from my company attending the trade show there next week, so it'll have to be another one.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by belle3388
Like mikeef, I was dissed by one too, almost the same way, except that he was alone, and didn't exactly roll his eyes. A very unfriendly chap indeed. Maybe it's the same person? Or maybe that I am one little old Asian lady that's in the wrong age group?

I have also met some that at the beginning seemed a bit 'quiet', giving the wrong impression that they didn't want to 'talk'. Then I found out that they were actually shy and didn't know how to start or join in a conversation. Once they've opened up, they're just as chatty as anyone else.

Don't let that bother or deter you from going to DOs. Most all of us are friendly and we love our fellow FTers. I have made more pals here than I can count, and a few have even become bestest personal friends forever. On my part, at least.
Dissed?! You!? Impossible. You're the best, any "do" graced with your presence is a fabulous "do."
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:01 pm
2mg

Much like in high school, you have the "too cool" for you kids and then you have the normal people, which is pretty much the standard. A quick read of some of these threads would shed some light on some FTers I might avoid coming up to and speaking with at an airport.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had the exact opposite experience to that mentioned by several folks above -- several people who get into the most strongly worded, vituperative, debates online turn out to be delightful in person! I've only been to a few Do's (or is it "few Dew's?") but have enjoyed them all!

And remember, attitudes towards age are changing -- 60 is the new 40!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
...I get the feeling that many FT events are organized for and around a few people, and once those few people have been "satisfied," well, the rest of the "do" doesn't really matter. But you'll never hear about it here, that's for sure! That's why I enjoyed reading this thread; it's been my experience, too.
Sorry you have that opinion. I can honestly say I have never felt like that at any Do I attended, and I sure hope no one felt that way at a Do I organized (correct me if I'm wrong). I have found FT'ers for the most part to be even more interesting in person than on FT, so it's dismaying to hear this.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I wish that I could actually meet some of the FTers that I have a less-than-great online relationship with.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Several people who get into the most strongly worded, vituperative, debates online turn out to be delightful in person!
My thoughts exactly. I have actively sought out posters at DO's with whom my online discussions have been 'vituperative'.
I have universally found that a degree of understanding is thereby injected into the online "relationship".

I hope to be able to do more of the same. I am very sorry to hear any stories to the contrary, for those of you who've had different experiences.

Best, Dave
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:15 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Like many others have stated, I hope you won't let that one experience color your opinion of all FT get togethers. They are all different, and most people I've encountered are quite friendly.

Originally Posted by belle3388
Like mikeef, I was dissed by one too, almost the same way, except that he was alone, and didn't exactly roll his eyes. A very unfriendly chap indeed. Maybe it's the same person? Or maybe that I am one little old Asian lady that's in the wrong age group?
Did you kick their @$$? Are there photos?

I haven't posted on FT since March 12, but your post prompted me to log in and reply.
bisous!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Sorry you have that opinion. I can honestly say I have never felt like that at any Do I attended, and I sure hope no one felt that way at a Do I organized (correct me if I'm wrong). I have found FT'ers for the most part to be even more interesting in person than on FT, so it's dismaying to hear this.
Hello there. We don't know one another, and I'm sorry if I offended you. I have never been to one of your Dos, and I take you at your word about your experiences. My opinion was mine alone, and it was directed more at a "core" of FTers that I remember from yore. But since I haven't posted since 12 March, who am I to talk?

Truly, no offense was intended to you or to those who organize the FT events to actually meet new people and exchange travel ideas.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Hey: the Las Vegas and Hawai'i FT DOers are a pretty friendly bunch! Come check us out if you want to meet some nice folks!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello there. We don't know one another, and I'm sorry if I offended you. I have never been to one of your Dos, and I take you at your word about your experiences. My opinion was mine alone, and it was directed more at a "core" of FTers that I remember from yore. But since I haven't posted since 12 March, who am I to talk?

Truly, no offense was intended to you or to those who organize the FT events to actually meet new people and exchange travel ideas.
My apologies, I was a bit strong worded and I wasn't trying to discredit your experiences. I wasn't talking directly about you since I believe that was your experience. I was just trying to say how disappointed I am in FT'ers like what you described. Please give FT another chance and attend another Do! No offense taken either.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
My apologies, I was a bit strong worded and I wasn't trying to discredit your experiences. I wasn't talking directly about you since I believe that was your experience. I was just trying to say how disappointed I am in FT'ers like what you described. Please give FT another chance and attend another Do! No offense taken either.
Absolutely! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.