Wiki Posts
Search

Dissed by a FTer!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Marysunshine

You are absolutely correct in that there are many people on these boards that have been exceptionally friendly to me and gone out of their way to chat and socialize. I thank them very much. My post was simply referring to a one-time incident and was not supposed to reflect on any other meetups I had attended.
I will not post further to this thread as it has caused hurt feelings to others so I am dropping it here and now.
OK, one last comment and then I'll stop too. I have never met you and have only heard the most delightful things about you. That is why I think so many people were taken aback by your comments. You were using this one incident as an excuse not to go to other dos, yet you admit that people have been exceptionally friendly. Sorry, I just don't get it.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:45 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

And all along I thought you were really enjoying yourself a few years ago when we had that Toronto Do and I was able to witness both you and parnel at the same table. I thought that was posted on FT. But, as you note, personal choice whether to attend FlyerTalk events or others seem to parallel that of how you choose to socialize outside of FlyerTalk as well.

Anyway, I for one was glad to see you turn out for that one.

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
This has been my understanding as well Blair. That is why I prefer small get together's with folks I know, or sorta know - maybe a drink, coffee etc. You know, like dinner somewhere in the latin quarter. Pretty much anything organised and posted on FT I stay away from.

Say, shouldn't it be two euro cents
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I actually have a photo of the infamous event of Parnel & Mapleleaf together.

Never thought I'd see the day

http://picasaweb.google.com/MarysAlb...25313921957906
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Great pic.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:45 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

They look so happy together.

Truly these events can be a blessing when members who may have misunderstandings online can actually find out that the other member is actually a very nice human. I remember a few years ago at a Catman Do event in NYC that I voluntarily sat next to Camera Guy. We'd had some online differences of opinions but it gave me a chance to met him and we were able to recognize that FlyerTalk was actually big enough for both of us and I've been a fan of his since then. Without that meeting in person it might have taken a lot longer for the two of us to realize that FlyerTalk comes first.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I actually have a photo of the infamous event of Parnel & Mapleleaf together.

Never thought I'd see the day

http://picasaweb.google.com/MarysAlb...25313921957906
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Do's can be great!!!

I luv you all

( AND no I am not drinking )

I have met people I would choose to spend more time with, and those I dont - kinda like "real-life"

I like Dhammer am "older" - but I have never felt dissed -
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by jan_az
Do's can be great!!!

I luv you all

( AND no I am not drinking )

I have met people I would choose to spend more time with, and those I dont - kinda like "real-life"

I like Dhammer am "older" - but I have never felt dissed -
I have to agree with jan_az's comments. I have also met some lifetime friends at DO's.and no I'm not drunk..yet FT is a special place.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:35 am
Commander Catcop

Randy... I remember that at my last Catman DO (#4) a few years ago. I'm glad that you and Camera Guy were able to work out any differences. I remember you both were at the "host's" table.

Catman Do 4... sounds like decades ago. Now I feel good that something good came out of that big event.

(Remember, you were "the special mystery guest." for the CMD4. I think I surprised everyone including PremEx who helped with organzing.)

It is a personal choice whether to attend events or not. As I said I really can't with a booming Cat sitting business but I think next year I may try to make at least one out of NYC event.

Like a flyertalk 10th anniversary event. ;l)
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:32 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

From my memories, good things always came from Catman Do's. I've always appreciated them as a location where the Internet does not get in the way of being who you really are.

As for the 10th anniversary. Actually I will post over in that thread (just the usual major magazine deadline stuff this week).

Originally Posted by Catman
Randy... I remember that at my last Catman DO (#4) a few years ago. I'm glad that you and Camera Guy were able to work out any differences. I remember you both were at the "host's" table.

Catman Do 4... sounds like decades ago. Now I feel good that something good came out of that big event.

(Remember, you were "the special mystery guest." for the CMD4. I think I surprised everyone including PremEx who helped with organzing.)

It is a personal choice whether to attend events or not. As I said I really can't with a booming Cat sitting business but I think next year I may try to make at least one out of NYC event.

Like a flyertalk 10th anniversary event. ;l)
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Sounds good to me...

Originally Posted by Catman
I try to talk to everyone at the smaller NYC events. Some people end up making a major personal impact on me and become very good friends (and one a Big Bruddar )

(Speaking of that we need to have more monthly NYC events!)
I'd certainly be game for NYC events now that I'm back in the area. Never been to an FT do but have met others from various online groups and as in real life, some people get on better than others.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:02 pm
Commander Catcop

travellingcari... welcome back to the area!

The NYC area Flyertalkers (who are nicknamed "the Alley Cats") are not as prolifric (SP?) on organizing events like the gangs from Chicago & Seattle & Dallas and London but we have had some great events and at least a few to come:

Like: a Special Soup Do for The San Diego 1K's: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731332

If you are around NYC on the afternoon of December 21 come join us. IT's a good group of veterans and recent members but all sharing a love of travel and good food and good company.

boxo is also coming to NYC Nov 2-4.

Also watch these boards for the legendary Brooklyn Reality Tour which is a day long event that a Flyertalker should take the chance to enjoy. dhammer is the purrfect guide and host.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Merry Christmas to all of you. I sincerely hope you enjoyed your Soup Do.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and all that jazz. We really do need to put together another great party in the most fabulous city in the whole entire world. :-::-: NYC, NYC :-::-:
Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:31 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
On a smelly note, why do I always end up sitting close to someone prone to passing gas on the plane?

My last experience from HOU-JFK was so bad that the flight attendand smiled at me every time I had my finger by my nose and kindly sprayed the airfreshener to remedy the situation (several times).
Sorry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.