Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dissed by a FTer!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Wow, that's ridiculous! Please don't think that all (or even a reasonable number) FT'ers are like that
Indeed. I've met a number of FT'rs, some on mileage runs (rtarbuck, humanoid94 and sbagdon to name a few), others just coincidence noticing their yellow tags. Most of us are amazingly friendly I think!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Marysunshine
I had the same kind of experience when visiting in chicago about a year ago. I was traveling with two women I had met on the internet. Flyertalk was having a get together so thought we'd meet up with them. It was a small get together, three guys and one female. The female was very friendly for a brief period. One of the women I was traveling with was asking several questions about Chicago of one of the gentleman and he said something under his breath about being with and having to chat with people of our age (we are women in our 60s. )
It let me know I was no longer interested in attending any flyertalk get togethers. I will read, answer questions I have the answers to, but that's about it. So I completely empathize with your experience.
You haven't meet me yet
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
And just to add, I've never been to one of the big dos but do know people who post on FT & and they are great friends. Usually I'm on the quiet side till I get to know some one but feel I would get along with almost anyone on FT.
Which reminds me if anyone is through CLT I work pm shift shoot me a pm.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:46 pm

If anyone sees my pink rollaboard with a flyertalk luggage tag I'll usually talk unless I have a tight connection.

I got spotted on a NW flight deplaning once. I would have been more talkative, but I was trying to run to the bathroom.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:33 pm
Commander Catcop

Whoe... what a thread but some decent points are made.

But first... Moderators... please edit the following or delete... you have full rain. If you wnat to suspend me... well after seven years maybe it's time.

One of my regrets of Catman Do 3 (and why there wont' be a #4 but FT-ers say never say never) is that I probably dissed some people and didn't get to talk to everyone because I was busy as organizer and trying to accomdate people. I admit it and I'm sorry.

It's why I don't attend most dos (the main reason I have a very very busy business that I can't walk away from every other weekend.) People will get lost in the crowd while the more prolific posters may get all the attention. I go to events and people say "Oh it's the Catman!"

Another reason I skip most of the dos is I'm not everyone's can of Pepsi or bottle of Sam Adams. I'm different and I travel to my own flightplan in life. My closest friends (and shock! Some of them are Flyertalkers!) say there is nothing wrong with my offbeatness.

I don't like every flyertalker... I'm sorry and I feel uncomfortable being at a gathering with someone I don't get aloen with (I have to do that at my "real" Job 40 hours a week!) I want to avoid drama. I'm 41 and I'm too old for high school drama.

I try to talk to everyone at the smaller NYC events. Some people end up making a major personal impact on me and become very good friends (and one a Big Bruddar )

(Speaking of that we need to have more monthly NYC events!)

I'm sorry for those of you that got dissed. have to admit I've seen it at F-T events... It's hard with a big event and not enough time for everyone to get their two minutes with everyone else.

In a purrfect world... everyone would have an equal voice and an equal presence.

Ok, let teh Catman Flaming get underway.

But some final points:

MarySunshine... I'm really really sorry you got ignored and if I may permit myself to invite you to a certain Cat's SOup Do On Friday, Dec 21:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731332

If anyone disses you dhammer and I will have a little "chat" with him. you are on my unwritten list of people to meet on F-T.

Mary2E we have a standing date to meet up in Jersey City. I enjoyed anytime we had a chance to chat but I'd like more time to hear your story and hear of yoru travel experiences.

Blair, it's nice to se eyou post again. I see you and I miss seeing you and miss my Paris.

For any Flyertalker who got dissed... if you are in NYC/Jersey City area please PM I CANNOT promise I'll be available because of business commitments BUT I'm always up for meeting Flyertalkers.

Finally, to my kind and beautiful and respected FRIEND and SISTER BELLE anyone who disses you isn't worth the time of day. I have to admit I was nervous about meeting you and makign a bad impression. You are a lady and I tip my hat to you and wait for you to return to NYC hopefully in the coming months!

You are so far the highlight of my year on Flyertalk and I thank you for spending time with me.

If you PM me the disser's name I'll have Eddie my Cat (who also thinks you are BEAUTIFUL) to have a little Cat chat. His claws need a trimming

Simply, Flyertalk is one large, multi-dimentional, somewhat disfunctional family like most families. But we've survived almost eigth years and hopefully will into the future if we all just try to RESPECT if not like each other.

OK, I'm ready for my suspension now.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
In looking over this thread as it's progressed today, it's interesting to note that I've had one-on-one lunches or dinners with 6 posters on this thread (you know who you are), and attended group functions with 3 of those that I can recall, plus 15 other posters on this thread, most recently in Seattle. I really can't think of any bad experiences to post. I don't think it's the norm for FTers to be ran off at any event I've been to, and if there's a pattern to make folks feel unwelcome it must have gone right by me, and I'm probably towards the top of the list for attending events over the last 7 years.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
If anyone sees my pink rollaboard with a flyertalk luggage tag I'll usually talk unless I have a tight connection.

I got spotted on a NW flight deplaning once. I would have been more talkative, but I was trying to run to the bathroom.
I think that was me. Sorry I kept you -- urgent is urgent!
Perhaps another time...

I've got my own FT tags now & have been spotted on both trips since I got them -- a much higher rate than I would ever have dreamed.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
And, tom911, you have had coffee in Singapore, in the rain, with three other FlyerTalkers, and walked an art exhibition.

That was such a lovely afternoon. Here is a picture. I remember that trip fondly and always want to rush back to SIN whenever I think of it.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I had a great time in SIN, and I'm already booked to go back in May in conjunction with the Hobart DO (love the One World awards that let you mix and match).

One of the best DO's I've been to was the one hosted by AlanW, which included a Feast in Sitges in 2005. I don't think I've ever eaten so much meat at one time. Take a look at the photos.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
In looking over this thread as it's progressed today, it's interesting to note that I've had one-on-one lunches or dinners with 6 posters on this thread
If you're paying, you can make that 7, tom.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by mikeef
Was at HNL yesterday when I noticed a guy with the yellow FT luggage tag. I always like meeting other FTers, so I went over and introduced myself (I also have the badge of honor.). He kind of rolled his eyes and said to his friend (in a friendly tone), "Ah, they're everywhere!"
I agree with the others who found this behavior odd. The only reason to put the FlyerTalk tags on your hand luggage is to have other FTers come up and introduce themselves.

Originally Posted by Marysunshine
It let me know I was no longer interested in attending any flyertalk get togethers.

Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh
I feel the same. I was dissed not only by another FT'er at a DO, but a moderator of this very "Community" forum. (snip) No more "Do's" for me.*
Marysunshine, OnAMileHigh, while there is an automatic open invitation to all FlyerTalkers to attend every Meet, I would like to specifically invite the two of you to the upcoming PBI-FLL. I can not guarantee that each and every FTer there will love you (I am certain that each and every person present will not love me) I can promise you a warm welcome and am certain that you will get along well with the great majority who will be there.

Originally Posted by hiyo
In a community as large as FT, there will be all types. There is no personality test for admittance.
Exactly. There are always some people, in any group, who are going to be unfriendly. I have found them to be a miniscule minority among FTers. The really strange thing is that I have met a number of FTers whose on line personality I did not like but in person they turned out to be wonderful people.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by tom911

One of the best DO's I've been to was the one hosted by AlanW, which included a Feast in Sitges in 2005. I don't think I've ever eaten so much meat at one time. Take a look at the photos.

Aww shucks. And we still weren't rude to you, even though you were late to dinner. Edited to add: oops, that was a different time!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
I definitely see some Pot calling the kettle black on this thread
Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Catman
Mary2E we have a standing date to meet up in Jersey City. I enjoyed anytime we had a chance to chat but I'd like more time to hear your story and hear of yoru travel experiences.
I haven't forgotten about you and look forward to it also. It's just that I almost never get to JC - Your next soup do is on my list!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:13 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Hello All:
Thank you for all the very kind words and invitations. Please let me explain that the gentleman that I perceived as rude, I do not believe intended to be rude. He muttered kind of under his breath as I think he was eager to chat with the other two or three people that were there. Perhaps he was annoyed at the lady taking up his time and attention asking questions about Chicago. Although I understand that, I think part of the purpose of meeting up is to share information, whether it be about miles or anything related to travel. Additionally, the age thing made me very uncomfortable as I have children and grandchildren as well as many friends younger than I and they don't seem to percieve me as "old".
I have been to a few get togethers, as well as Freddie's dinners and found almost everyone very welcoming and friendly. When I saw the OP's message, it just touched a nerve from the Chicago visit. Thus I had found an opportunity to say what I had been feeling.
I am very appreciative of all the support and I thank you once again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.