Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #5" - Hobart TASMANIA - Memorial Day weekend May 23-25, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:12 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Do people come mainly as singles, or as couples to the Do's? I am a single girl so dont want to be out of place (so to speak).
Some come as singles, others as couples, some come as singles and leave as...oh never mind. I would say the ratio is half: half. Sexes are roughly evenly divided, although this can vary slightly. Ages range from 18 years to 60 and beyond. I find it amazing that people of so varied backgrounds can come together and have a great time, with travel being the shared interests in common^
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:23 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by kpc
Some come as singles, others as couples, some come as singles and leave as...oh never mind. I would say the ratio is half: half. Sexes are roughly evenly divided, although this can vary slightly. Ages range from 18 years to 60 and beyond. I find it amazing that people of so varied backgrounds can come together and have a great time, with travel being the shared interests in common^
Thanks for the reply. Sounds good - I will do my best to get there
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Do people come mainly as singles, or as couples to the Do's? I am a single girl so dont want to be out of place (so to speak).
Pretty much evenly split. I'm at the Seattle Do and there was a mix of singles and couples at dinner last night. Really an issue you shouldn't worrry about, as everyone is welcome.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
... I will do my best to get there
Downunder girl - a belated welcome to FT. I have enjoyed reading your contributions to the UA forum, regarding travel to Australia. I have attended the last 3 OzFests and enjoyed them all. Hopefully I'll see you in HBA next year.

And BTW, Happy Birthday!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
...Do people come mainly as singles, or as couples to the Do's? I am a single girl so dont want to be out of place (so to speak)...
I've been to some as single-and-potentially-interested, some with someone, some by myself but while in a relationship. All were fun. People who in couples that normally travel as couples come that way. People who are single, or who for whatever reason are traveling without their significant other, come by themselves. You should feel comfortable coming as a single if that's your status. I have never been to a single Do where a single person would feel out of place in any way. In fact, I can think of more than one that were organized by unattached women. (I happen to be male, but I've seen enough single women at multiple Dos that I'm sure, if they felt at all uncomfortable there, they'd stop going.)

Bottom line: Just DO it!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Having attended more FT Doos than proably anyone on this thread (well other than Tom911 probably!) I'd agree that it is a pretty even split of about 50/50.

All the OzFests seem to have been around that ratio.

Glen
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Margo and I are flying down to Hobart his Thursday actually for a long weekend and to check a few things out for the May Doo.

If TIMP or anyone else Hobart based is about please touch base and we'll get together for a drink or three.

Haven't booked Hotel yet but it wil lbe central CBD I'd guess, and we'll have a car.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:21 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
I was in Hobart the weekend before last - my TR is in the trip reports section.

It's my first TR - be kind!

Audrey
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
I've been to some as single-and-potentially-interested, some with someone, some by myself but while in a relationship. All were fun. People who in couples that normally travel as couples come that way. People who are single, or who for whatever reason are traveling without their significant other, come by themselves. You should feel comfortable coming as a single if that's your status. I have never been to a single Do where a single person would feel out of place in any way. In fact, I can think of more than one that were organized by unattached women. (I happen to be male, but I've seen enough single women at multiple Dos that I'm sure, if they felt at all uncomfortable there, they'd stop going.)

Bottom line: Just DO it!
Thank you to all the FTers on this thread for putting me at ease. I am definitely interested in coming (will start working on the child care now) so I can just DO it ! And who knows by next May I may not be single anymore

Hey Restless in RNO do you have a crystal ball or is my profile showing my b'day? Thanks so much for your nice message . I love it here on FT (am totally addicted at the moment)......oh no

Oh now I have to work out how to explain to the babysitter (family member) that I am going to HBA to meet FTers from online - that will be an interesting conversation

Last edited by Downunder girl; Aug 13, 2007 at 4:29 am Reason: oops name mistake....d'oh
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Ozstamps - check your email.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bummer .. our one Hobart local TIMP is not in town this weekend.

Oh well, MargoZ and I shall snoop around on our own.

Glen
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:51 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Bummer .. our one Hobart local TIMP is not in town this weekend.

Oh well, MargoZ and I shall snoop around on our own.

Glen
Enjoy your snooping. I nearly came back down as I got offered a TV ad job - but the pay cheque wouldnt have covered the airfare!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:58 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Thank you to all the FTers on this thread for putting me at ease. I am definitely interested in coming (will start working on the child care now) so I can just DO it ! And who knows by next May I may not be single anymore

Hey Restless in RNO do you have a crystal ball or is my profile showing my b'day? Thanks so much for your nice message . I love it here on FT (am totally addicted at the moment)......oh no

Oh now I have to work out how to explain to the babysitter (family member) that I am going to HBA to meet FTers from online - that will be an interesting conversation
Downunder girl, I started FT as a single person...then became married to a non-FT'er who abides my unusual "hobby" (thankfully she likes travelling and decent hotels). She attended ozfest III and IV and now enjoys catching up with my FT friends and their partners.

Now we have mini-QF WP (5.5 months old) who attended ozfest IV with us (at age 10 weeks) and is a fair bet to join us at ozfest V (if Mrs QF WP comes as well). So I'm sure the two of you would have something in common
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by QF WP
Downunder girl, I started FT as a single person...then became married to a non-FT'er who abides my unusual "hobby" (thankfully she likes travelling and decent hotels). She attended ozfest III and IV and now enjoys catching up with my FT friends and their partners.

Now we have mini-QF WP (5.5 months old) who attended ozfest IV with us (at age 10 weeks) and is a fair bet to join us at ozfest V (if Mrs QF WP comes as well). So I'm sure the two of you would have something in common
Ah thanks for sharing that lovely story. I look forward to meeting you all there (if I can make it) .

"thankfully she likes travelling and decent hotels" - sounds like me

Bold emphasis added by me.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:36 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Many more stories about Mrs QF WP to share...

You may also be able to attend this little FT meeting as well (BNE is closer than HBA after all) and if you get on QF175 (Intl flight SYD/BNE) you may be able to get into the SYD F Lounge to "breakfast with the stars" (well, other FT QF Platinum members).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.