"Oz Fest #5" - Hobart TASMANIA - Memorial Day weekend May 23-25, 2008

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2008, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Now to the BUSINESS END of things.

The "Herding 40 Cats" annual saga.

The Cruise Company Manager phoned me April and said their cruiser needed to have slip work done for a week in this period, I begged her to try and make it a week EITHER side of our event.

She phoned a day later with good news that she was able to do that - mainly as I assured her we were a firm booking of 30 .... so we BETTER be.

We now need to get mobile with CEMENT FIRM bookings and pre-payments, as these guys need money from me up front, as does the Cascade Brewery Manager who has organised the catered dinner there Sat night, and tour and historical play and bus transfer and mini tour. As does the Port Arthur bus tour.

PLEASE let Allan and I have your email contact, and use OZFEST 2008 as the first words in heading so they can easily be kept together. You can email either of us by clicking on our handle and selecting "send Email" option.

A LOT more detail on all these places and events and costs is HERE - to stop me typing them all again!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=286

I certainly need to once again call on the superb Excel Spreadsheet skills of Allan - Mwenenzi if he is able to untangle who is doing what, and who is staying where. His help was absolutely invaluable to me for the 2 x Sydney Oz-fests,

My accounting skills are down there with the CEO of Enron, so I need a serious assist here.

I can take payments by PayPal or ideally bank transfer, (ask by email for my account details) or if necessary, even $A cheque or steel axes, but I DO need money up front.

No show - too bad .. them's the breaks, sorry. You cancelling means others pay more on some pricey fully pre-paid events like SC and SP. That's the law of the jungle, and has been for all FT events I have been part of organising. Sign up late by all means if you are NOT sure you'll attend, but in cases like SB (the Business Class seating on cruiser) you totally miss out by waiting too long.

We need to know WHAT you are signing up for for CERTAIN

Friday lunch 1pm (ish) - pay as you go. 1pm at MURES across from Woolstore. Cheap and cheerful and VERY casual. Full detail here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=793 - come later.. no problems.

Friday 4pm .. Drinks for those interested at Baa Bar at Woolstore which opens at 4pm.

FD - Friday dinner - Customs House Hotel ... a short walk from Woolstore and on the bay, so you CANNOT miss it! Pay as you go for what you eat and drink - perfect for those arriving on evening flights. Starting "8 to 9 ish" - for those flying in later, and booked under name STEPHENS. We have a booking for 37 over 4 large tables and the place would PREFER we arrived and ordered in a staggered fashion or their kithen will not cope! i.e. getting there 8.30pm or so is best as they have a lot of 6pm sitting guests. See more detail here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=866

SE - Saturday Day Cruise - economy class/coach seating with lunch .. but everything else is extra. $98 a person. ...... or upgrade to:

SB - Saturday Day cruise leather Biz seats and private deck, and some free Tasmania wines etc, and Morning tea as well as unlimited tea, coffee, juice and soft drinks all day. Usual price $148 .. got this down to $123 each on the proviso most of us booked it, and so far 100% of folks have - indeed we are over by one, and Efrem is on an upgrade wait-list by being last to book it. The Cruiser departs Constitution Dock 11.30am, (so you must BE there at 11.15am latest, to board as a group) and returns 4.30pm. Best of all - lunch will be served on the cruiser not at Peppermint Bay, so you can have a walk around this REALLY tiny quaint village. (And trust me there is nothing much to see there!) Photos of the airline Biz Class type leather seats and detailed menu is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=287

SC = Saturday Cascade Brewery evening -- Red Double Decker Bus that awaits the cruiser to arrive at 4.30pm at the dock. Then a short city tour for an hour or so till light fades, then the drive thru suburbs to Cascade Brewery. Detailed personal Brewery tour, Canapés and drinks whilst watching the 'Louisa's Walk' historical play put on for us. Then exclusive booked dinner in Cascade's deluxe Dining Room with unlimited food AND booze - see my photo HERE of the "Private Club" here we will be in - exclusively.

And price includes bus transfer BACK to Woolstore or other hotels when we are done. $110 a head if 40 attend, and more like $120-$130 a head if early 30's attend - which looks far more likely right now, and that is what I am budgeting for .. 4120 or a bit higher if we do not get 35 persons. PLEASE get along to this as it keeps the costs down for all others. A few attendees are still in the "undecided" camp for this. For all FT weekend Doos the Saturday night is the main event - always. DO get along!

SP - Sunday Port Arthur day tour in private bus. Pretty much a full day. Leaves Woolstore 9am sharp. Given the good present number doing it, will run about $85 a head. That includes the entry fee to the Port Arthur historical Convict area AND the very interesting "Island Of The Dead" Cemetery boat trip and tour. (These entry fees alone are $40 a person.) For everyone doing it, this is an essential window on Australia's earliest history. We were able to do the boat trip out to the "Island of the Dead Cemetery" on our day there, which was pretty neat to see - so I have paid extra and have included that as part of the day as well - almost no packaged tours include that. En-route or back we stop at the "Devil's Blow-hole" and "Hell's Gate" if we are on-time. Will be back in time for those catching evening flights I'd be pretty sure. We may even be able to drop you there - let me know if that is required. (Mid-May Update - I paid the $125 extra and booked a large 49 seater, (well I paid for the 37 seater and they upgraded us to that!) rather than all somehow squeeze 22 folks into a 22 seater for hours of driving - a $5 or so cash levy will apply over the $A85 quoted above.)

SD - Sunday Evening Farewell Dinner for those still about. Can be anywhere, and to be advised later on, as Sunday not nearly as busy as Friday and Saturday nights, and booking seems not to be necessary. We walked across to a fish place on the wharf and it was really inexpensive. As per the usual FT norm's - nothing chi-chi, trendy, or expensive is required - or necessary! We will play that one by ear once there.

HC = Hotel choice -- let us know where you have booked, in case we need to chase you! The Old Woolstore at the special Flyertalk rates I negotiated rates seems the overwhelming choice, but as always some folks will do something quite different. However as some things like Port Arthur day DEPARTS from Woolstore only if you book across town etc, or sleep in, then missing the tour is your issue. Luckily virtually all so far are at Woolstore, and that will make the mass cat-herding so much simpler!

If you can post below with those 6 answers we are getting somewhere at last.

If you can email myself and Allan - Mwenenzi your best email address to keep on file, we can send death threats as needs be, later on. And PayPaling or transferring the dough NOW will help too.

All folks confirming should pre-pay Saturday (SE/SB/SC) and Port Arthur (SP) please, to save a TON of running around in the final weeks, which I sadly do not have time to do this year, as off to USA and Cuba the moment this completes.

Also for most of it except Friday and Sun nights, I have long ago pre-paid it on a firm number basis to suppliers, and they will not issue refunds as we screwed them to a fixed price as paid up front. The Cruise, Cascade Sat evening, and Bus Tour to Port Arthur are 100% pre-paid long ago, and at a rate based on those numbers signed up below, so no refunds for any no-shows, or others will see their cost increased substantially, which is unfair.

Confirm and pay - and you are set. The names you see with codes next to them in red you can see have confirmed and paid. THANK you to near all, for the superb co-operation on that.

For ozzies, a transfer to my bank account is best as it incurs no fees for either side - email me for detail,

Or paypal your total in $$$AUSTRALIAN$$$ (not Roubles, Sterling, Zlotys, or greenbacks) and you must add 3% to these $A figures if using PayPal, as that is what THEY gouge me down here.

Total amount to be pre-paid will be in the high 4 figures and I am not wearing 3% on that, as it runs to $100s.

My PayPal email address detail (or for any general queries) is:

glen at glenstephens.com

Please use your FT name as PayPal or bank transfer info i.e. -- "Fredds for ozfest" if you do not mind -- makes it easier to track.

If you are NOT correct on list below in ANY aspect please email me and Allan - Mwenenzi to we can adjust

Those activities shown in RED below have been helpfully pre-paid.

Many thanks to those very thoughtful members.

Platinum = 40 - Confirmed
  1. ozstamps SYD - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  2. MargoOz SYD - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  3. Itsalongwaydown Vic, Aust - FD, SB, SC, SD. HC = Woolstore.
  4. Sue Oz Vic, Aust - FD, SB, SC, SD. HC = Woolstore.
  5. MikeMpls Minneapolis - USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  6. WifeMpls Minneapolis - USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  7. upup&away ORD - Chicago - USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  8. kpc SYD - FD, SB, SC, HC = Woolstore
  9. kpc gf SYD - FD, SB, SC, HC = Woolstore
  10. Falconea MEL - FD, SB, SD, HC = Woolstore.
  11. Mr Falconea MEL - FD, SB, SD, HC = Woolstore.
  12. TIMP HBA - FD, SD, HC = Home
  13. monitor So Florida & NY - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  14. Franny So Florida & NY - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  15. jswong WLG - FD, SB, SC, HC = Woolstore
  16. Tom911 SFO - FD, SB, SC, SD, HC = Mercure/YHA
  17. Fredd Seattle USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, HC = Woolstore
  18. Mrs Fredd Seattle USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, HC = Woolstore
  19. GSDman HBA
  20. serfty MEL - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  21. To Market to Market MEL - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  22. Aust_Mal Aust - FD, SB, SC, HC = Woolstore
  23. g-day SYD - FD, SB, SC, SD, SP, HC = Grand Mercure Hadley's
  24. gvdIAD IAD - Washington USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  25. Pooch SYD - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  26. littl_flier BNE - FD, SB, SC. HC = Woolstore
  27. JohnK SYD - FD, SB, SC, HC = Best Western Blue Hills Motel
  28. futaris BNE - FD, HC = Not booked yet, probably = Woolstore
  29. Mrs futaris BNE - FD, HC = Not booked yet, probably = Woolstore
  30. restlessinRNO Reno USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore.
  31. QF WP BNE - FD, SB, SC, HC = Woolstore
  32. lili SAN USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD HC = Woolstore
  33. newself LAX USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  34. anat0l - BNE - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD, HC = Quest Savoy
  35. Efrem Boston, USA - FD, SB, SC, SP, SD. HC = Woolstore.
  36. BiziBB SYD - SC, HC = unknown
  37. Bundy Bear - BNE (Sadly needed to cancel on very eve of OzFest starting.)
  38. Punki Seattle USA - FD SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  39. Hunki Seattle USA - FD SC, SP, SD, HC = Woolstore
  40. KLC Tampa Florida USA - FD, SC, SP, SD, SD, HK = Woolstore

SUMMARY -

FD = 37

SB = 31

SC = 33

SP = 22

SD = 26

Gold - Maybes
  1. simong SYD
  2. flyingzzzd's QLD
  3. Mr flyingzzzd's QLD
  4. alect LAX but relocating to MEL
  5. Bjornstrom and Mrs B. MEL

Silver - Interested
  1. Freddie Junior Colorado Springs, USA click for FJ's own thread
  2. Kiwiflyer AKL
  3. dedehans USA
  4. d00t BNE
  5. dannyr BNE
  6. RickyT MEL
  7. Downunder girl SYD
  8. DownUnderFlyer SYD
  9. Mwenenzi MEL
  10. Infoworks SYD
Old May 22, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Some will be pleased to know its -6C (20F) on top of Mount Wellington at the moment.
Thanks for the reminder. It looks like a jumper plus warm jacket are the dress requirements for the weekend.

Originally Posted by TIMP
Okay it got down to 0.5C last night and was a very evil 3C at 7 this morning. This weekend is going to be VERY crisp I suspect.
Hopefully sanity will prevail and places like Cobar, Lightning Ridge, Birdsville and Coober Peddy are selected ahead of Hobart as choices for the next 50 or so Ozfests....
Old May 22, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kpc
That's correct! There is no "No liquid" rule for domestic flights in Oz unless it departs from an international terminal^
Thank you kpc and serfty for your advice. My 2 bottles of red and I will be arriving in HBA late this afternoon. I'll be leaving ADL, which is sunny, high 19 today. Looking forward to meeting everyone at dinner.
Old May 22, 2008, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
We are hanging out in The Lounge in Melbourne. Present are, moniotor, Frannie, KLC, jswong, Hunki, and Punki.

See you later today.
Old May 22, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Cant make lunch (previous lunch engagement) but will see you all tonight at Customs hotel. Can someone bring my name tag please????
Also Bundy Bear has kindly offered me his place on the Saturday Dinner - am not sure yet if I will be taking him up on it, however we shall see.
Old May 22, 2008, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look like a good sunny day from the Hobart web cam
Old May 22, 2008, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
No Drop-in from Bundy Bear :(

Also Bundy Bear has kindly offered me his place on the Saturday Dinner - am not sure yet if I will be taking him up on it, however we shall see.
TIMP, I hope you can make it some time Saturday.
A very kind offer from Bundy Bear, it is a shame he could not make it - it was such a close, close call!

One question to everyone on DJ - I wish to arrange online checkin for my 07:00 Sunday flight tomorrow (no printer or inclination to print at 07:00 from home). Would it be possible to do this at SYD or HBA?
Maybe if I find a kind LD at The Lounge, SYD Dom?

Looks like I will be, along with the futaris camp, among the last in/first out of the weekend.
Old May 22, 2008, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Love to see you there on Sat.

Cost as advised for all attending is $125 a person - cash only at this late stage - please see post 859 outlining this in crysal clear language. I need to know if you are coming ASAP.
Old May 22, 2008, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Enjoy the weekend everyone.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:18 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Platinum, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Angry

We arrived in Hobart this morning at about 1100. Went driving with serfty and Mrs for the day and the girls went looking for craft stuff!

Currently waiting for my bag which QF kindly inform me is now definitely in Hobart, but I'm still waiting!!!

It's a long journey from Melbourne so I can understand why it got lost.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:19 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Platinum, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Enjoy the weekend everyone.
We plan to do so. (With or without baggage)
Old May 23, 2008, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just back from a few hours at MURES.

A perfect location for what we were doing, and the "afternoon" shift on the 2pm arriving plane we able to join us and eat and drink and be merry.

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; May 23, 2008 at 12:40 am
Old May 23, 2008, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
What time is dinner at the Customes House this evening?
Old May 23, 2008, 12:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Friday lunch photos HERE
Old May 23, 2008, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty

What time is dinner at the Customes House this evening?
This post from only yesterday might assist Ross.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
TIME FOR FRIDAY DINNER CUSTOMS HOUSE:

When we originally cased out Hobart we picked this as it seemed perfect for how many we imagined would be at Friday dinner - i.e. 20 or 25 was my guess.

We are now 37. @:-)

On reflection it is a little small for us, but Friday night being super busy all along Salamanca - we will cope.

Phoned Lisa today and her problem is Friday night is busy with DRINKERS ... the dining tables are by the bar. (Remember this is NOT a BYO.) Drinkers like to sit down.

She like diners as they spend more.

So she always wanted to sell us on a FIXED pre-paid menu. As that can largely be pre-prepared in advance. I told her that for our polyglot lot that was going to be a disaster. (For us anyway.)

One member I know will order 6 small raw lettuce leaves with ranch dressing, and likely send it back as being undercooked or overcooked or it tasting too 'ranchy'.

Others might be Vegetarian, others might want just a steak etc, others might need low salt or low fat etc.

I promised her we were there for dinner, and WOULD all be eating - not just boozing.

So she has agreed to block us off 4 tables of 10. HOWEVER if we all arrive at 8 and order at 8, we not only will put kitchen into melt down, but the early sittings of 6pm might not be gone yet. (There is a 6pm booking group of 20.)

So seeing there are 4 tables of 10 for us, lets try and stagger arrivals a little. Some are flying in late so that will not be an issue.

My guess from talking to Lisa is that an 8.30pm arrival will be far more suitable for them than 8pm for instance.

As outlined the eating tables are RIGHT next to a bar, so it will not be an issue for most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.