Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #5" - Hobart TASMANIA - Memorial Day weekend May 23-25, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Originally Posted by ozstamps
When researching my post above on airfares to Hobart from Sydney I decided the $A75 each way inc all taxes directs on Virgin was a steal too good to pass up, so MargoOz and I booked one for latter August so we can have a look around.

I feel sure the organising Committee will add a full day at Port Arthur, and link that with the Tasmania Devil place on the Sunday, which is pretty much an all day tour. so again, those booking well out in advance might be wise to leave SUNDAY flights til evening.
While Port Arthur is interesting, its a VERY long day. So be warned!

This Salamanca Market in the Hobart city centre is a tradition down there, and runs most of Saturday:

http://www.southcom.com.au/~davids/salamancamarket/

Every hippie and alternative lifestyle person living in Tasmania seems to have a stall there.
Not QUITE. And we are getting alot more "junky" stalls, much to some people ire. Its a nice walk though.

Glen[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:31 am

Seeing as I just apparently volunteered to be on the committee...(what WAS I thinking), can someone please tell me what I just got myself in to?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 2:57 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
I loved Tasmania when I visited in 1994.........breathtaking vistas(spent 3 days at the Cradle Mountain Lodge) some of the best seafood ever (Hobart) and I felt I was taking a trip back in time.....would love to do this DO to see if and how much it has changed.

Unfortunately I am a Skymiles sort and will need to figure out how to do the trip with DL partners......there is a quiet rumor that DL might be doing AKL....that would certainly help.....otherwise I see (yawn....) MLB/ATL/ICN/SYD then stay a few days, fly to Hobart, back to SYD and the Skymiles itinerary in reverse......I should probably start flying now....
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by TIMP
Seeing as I just apparently volunteered to be on the committee...(what WAS I thinking), can someone please tell me what I just got myself in to?
It is customary for the committee to have a tab for drinks the first night

jk
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TIMP So you are Platinum Confirmed ?? Will send you a PM

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It is customary for the committee to have a tab for drinks the first night
Ahh !! don't believe all you read on FT

dedehans will list you as Silver - Interested
Old Jun 22, 2007, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Mike - if you are willing to give up a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon I can point you in the direction of the Family history resource centre at Bellerieve. VERY useful ladies and library. If you email them before hand they can have stuff ferretted out for you as well. There is also the state archives in the centre of town.
rootsweb.com has email lists for each Australian state plus the Sydney Dead Persons Society. If I need to have something looked up, I send an email to the appropriate list and often receive several replies. I've also made extensive use of on-line archives for NSW, Victoria & Tasmania.

I will probably spend more than just the DO in Tasmania; overall it willl be a ~ 2.5 week trip for us. It might help me if the Port Arthur visit could be on the first or last day.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:10 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi;7944432

[B
dedehans[/B] will list you as Silver - Interested
Thanks....both Hans and I want to do this DO and see Tasmania again but, aargh, after an hour with a wonderful DL partner desk expert (and many days too early to book...) it seems almost impossible. Only wish we were Star Alliance or One World....We could probably swim there faster.....

Keep us as Silver....not giving up yet.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
TIMP So you are Platinum Confirmed ?? Will send you a PM

Ahh !! don't believe all you read on FT

dedehans will list you as Silver - Interested
Well seeing I wont have to fly to be here...I guess so!! (dependant of course on a whole pile of stuff including PhD/conferences etc....OOOH I could pick brains about best way to get to Brazil for the Conference next year!)
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....OOOH I could pick brains about best way to get to Brazil for the Conference next year!)
That will be no problem

From the Hobart web cam looks like its a good day in Hobart ^
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Put me down as Gold right now. I don't know where I'm likely to be that far out, but at this stage it looks promising...
Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That will be no problem

From the Hobart web cam looks like its a good day in Hobart ^
Cool - but definately NOT as cold as earlier this week. I'm surviving in a long sleeved t-shirt, cami and jeans with thick socks. Its having the sun that makes all the difference.

To ANYONE considering coming to OZfest #5 I have one word for you - LAYERS.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
TIMP .. welcome on board .. a local on the ground is absolutely invaluable!

As to WEATHER .. can I please add a word of reality for the benefit of overseas readers.

Yesterday was the shortest day of the year, i.e. we are in absolutely deepest "Winter" in Australia.

To those who are already signed up from Boston, Chicago, Seattle and Washington DC, that term "Australian Winter" is a joke of course. You'd be wearing short sleeve shirts here today, seeing it is mid fifties temperature.

As noted in post #1 in general Hobart is generally a couple of degrees below Melbourne weather as it is more south.

HOWEVER, to put thing into perspective, the current national weather map is:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/

Showing the minimum (and for our American friends these are ºC figures!) in Hobart today to be WARMER than Adelaide and much higher than Canberra (2 places popular with some for OzFest 5) and just 2 degrees colder than either MEL or SYD. i.e. even in our chilly winter here today Hobart is 54ºF max (=12º C).

And as history has shown us 4 years in a row for OzFests, late May is a whole different ball game to late June I must stress that again - where temps have been 30º F degrees warmer than today most times.

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; Jun 22, 2007 at 10:27 pm
Old Jun 23, 2007, 2:19 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
To be fair though the actual temperature means nothing unless you take the windchill factor into consideration. Melbourne was very cold, for me anyway, during Oz fest IV recently. Hobart is always cold.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 2:27 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by JohnK
To be fair though the actual temperature means nothing unless you take the windchill factor into consideration. Melbourne was very cold, for me anyway, during Oz fest IV recently. Hobart is always cold.
JohnK,

You're just used to all the hot air that filters through FT & AFF.

Last edited by Itsalongwaydown; Jun 23, 2007 at 4:55 am Reason: text
Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by JohnK
that 12C was for about 2 seconds at 2pm. Today we have yet to make double figures yet its sunny, and actually quite nice in the sun. May is an odd month in HBA. Daylight saving has finished, so we are all complaining that its getting dark early, there is still the ocassionally warm day that involves short sleeves, but we are all manically scratching around in boxes looking for our winter coats. You just need a tiny bit of damp and teh temperature drops drastically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.