Wiki Posts
Search

"Oz Fest #5" - Hobart TASMANIA - Memorial Day weekend May 23-25, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2007, 4:50 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
MikeMpls & WifeMpls may be chasing his (convict?) ancestor's as post 17
I saw that....but there is only so much time you can spend at the state archives... I know from experience.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:40 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Would love to pitch up to next years Oz Fest but looks like I will be working that weekend (but will see what I can do)

Jeff
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Each OzFest attracts a dozen or so USA visitors.

Most fly UA both ways.

Here's a tip.

UA will roll out the new perfectly flat biz seats late 2007. HOWEVER than means 20 less biz seats on a 747.

Upgrades will be a LOT tougher to get than now of course .. 25% tougher.

I see a LOT of NC ("I") upgrade inventory right now from both LAX and SFO to SYD on May 22. 7 seats ex LAX and 6 seats ex SFO:

http://www.seatcounter.com/?k=7f8150...fb4f2aa0d2ce0a

Be warned - grabbing these now might be a VERY wise idea. @:-)

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; Jul 24, 2007 at 6:01 am
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ozstamps
UA will roll out the new perfectly flat biz seats late 2007. HOWEVER than means 20 less biz seats on a 747.

Upgrades will be a LOT tougher to get than now of course .. 25% tougher.

I see a LOT of NC ("I") upgrade inventory right now from both LAX and SFO to SYD on May 22. 7 seats ex LAX and 6 seats ex SFO:

Be warned - grabbing these now might be a VERY wise idea.
ozstamps - I agree with you. I'm looking forward to trying the new C seats. However I need the SWUs that are deposited in my account 1/2008 to get these NC seats. Even if I had some spare SWUs currently (I don't), they would not be valid for 5/2008.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
ozstamps - I agree with you. I'm looking forward to trying the new C seats. ...Even if I had some spare SWUs currently (I don't), they would not be valid for 5/2008.
Life is tough when you need to depend on op-ups.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: United 1K.
Glen and I will be going down to Hobart for a few days in August to check out possible eateries,attractions, activities and such.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 9:59 pm

MargoOZ - I wont be around (hiding at my parents in Brisbane) but PM me if you want suggestions etc as to what to check out.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Hobart has been discovered by the New York Times travel section today:

Next Stop | Hobart, Australia: Tasmania Goes Boutique, Nice and Slow
Old Jul 31, 2007, 4:12 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Originally Posted by jswong
Would love to pitch up to next years Oz Fest but looks like I will be working that weekend (but will see what I can do)
Sorted out leave over that time including a conference in SAN and have booked all the flights (apart from the short MEL-HBA rt) and reduced the UA NC availability from LAX in the process ^

Jeff
Old Jul 31, 2007, 4:15 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
This was in the IHT today. May help some!
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/07/30/arts/traus.php
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by infoworks
Argh - good info and NOT so good info in this one. Retro dont have mosaics (if they do I aint seen em). The hope and anchor is currently undergoing renovations (again - its done ever time the owners change). The weather report is about right though! Depending on who you talk too they either LOVE or hate the changes to the waterfront with regards to Architecture. Personally there are bits I hate and bits I love.
Henry Jones is amazing, as is the Islington. Resturant 373 is one of my favouritest places in the whole wide world...but they dont mention lovely places like Gondwana, or Jackson and McRoss Bakery which are both Hobart institutions. Also no mention of the markets, which although not as good as they were are still excellent. As to 42 Degrees South I have lived here 5 years now and I think I have been there twice. Locals go to the Republic or Lizbon (or my crowd does).
Bruny is good fun - just remember the last ferry leaves at 6:30!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by infoworks
That's the same article that I posted from the NY Times if you didn't notice.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We went ahead and bought our tickets today so please place Mrs. Fredd and me on the Platinum list.

FWIW to any UA flyers from North America we found H fare tickets to MEL out of YVR are $1000 cheaper than out of SEA at the moment, unusual to say the least. Our upgrades are already confirmed except for one SFO-YVR leg, no big deal. ^

We also noticed what look like good MEL-HBA sale fares - Blue Savers. Are those worth booking now or is there a reasonable chance they'll come around again before next May?

We're looking forward to seeing a couple of Oz Fest folks at the SEA Do this coming weekend and already thinking about Oz Fest #5.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
We went ahead and bought our tickets today so please place Mrs. Fredd and me on the Platinum list.
Done

Originally Posted by Fredd
We also noticed what look like good MEL-HBA sale fares - Blue Savers. Are those worth booking now or is there a reasonable chance they'll come around again before next May?
Will likely come around again, but if you want a particular flight the seats at the lowest price will be less available as time goes on. Prices go and up and down all the time.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:48 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
WOW - a do I might be able to make ^. I missed out on the SFO DO this year by about 10 days

Please put me down as a SILVER (interested, maybe not definite maybe yet). Will have to source childminding etc first before I can commit.

Do people come mainly as singles, or as couples to the Do's? I am a single girl so dont want to be out of place (so to speak).

Looking forward to more updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.