Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlyerTalk scoops the world with news report!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by aucarol
Dov:

You mentioned it being "cooler" there in Israel----it's hot as a firecracker here in Alabama right now. I'm interested in knowing what the temp over there is.
There is no such thing as knowing what the temperature in Israel is -- any more than there is in knowing what the weather is like in the States.

Surprisingly for a country so small, Israel has a wide range of temperatures -- depending both on on the altitude and the latitude.

Take a look at the highs for four different cities yesterday:

Jerusalem (center of country, mountains): 83 F
Tel Aviv (center of country, sea level): 88 F
Tiberias (north of country, below sea level): 92 F
Eilat (south of country, sea level): 105 F

My kibbutz (north of country, mountains) is usually one or two degrees cooler than Jerusalem so we probably peaked out at 81 F.

As this would be considerably cooler than "hot as a firecracker" if we are going to spend any time together in the immediate future, it had better be at my place, not yours.

Besides, if you hurry, you can enjoy the free "sound and light show" jointly sponsored by the Israeli Army and Hizbollah.

Last edited by Dovster; Jul 24, 2006 at 11:29 pm Reason: typo -- again!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hey Bey (when you wake up), read in the paper today that cabs are charging $500 for folks to get from Tyre to Beirut (I think that's 80 miles?). Have you heard anything about that?
Sadly because of security a lot of people can't get out of that area. I'd gladly pay $500 under the circumstances.

Stay safe everyone.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:28 pm

Good morning, Dovster, good morning, BEYFlyer - good to see your lights on!
Dovster, have they managed to extinguish the fires you talked about yesterday? They were used as a backdrop to a BBC report last night, and it looked rather scary.
(Did the apples get baked? I hope not ... I'm an apple-fiend, and hope you can harvest them for yourselves!)

Keep safe, both of you,
best wishes from V.G.E. (Welsh granny h.c.)
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
V.G.E., yes, the fire was put out. The one you saw on TV however, was a different one -- caused by the helicopter crash.

BEYFlyer, good morning! I hope the night was as quiet for you as the preceding one was.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:25 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
"Hello, BEY and Dov" photos from SAN dinner in several languages, (thank you LLM) plus photos of BEY and Dov.
click here.

Stay safe, guys.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:39 am

Condi have announced in a PC with PM Olmert that she does not plan to come back to the middle east in the near future (I guess she does not like the food ). I jope this means the end of the war is very near.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:39 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
WOW!!! Thanks lili and LLM. A heartfelt thanks to everyone in the pictures and on this thread. Thanks for keeping us both in your thoughts and prayers. Don't know what else to say... What a great way to start my morning (granted it's 10:40 a.m. here but still...) Thanks again.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:55 am

Another quiet night in Beirut but the IAF kept flying these "false" raids over Beirut... Psychological... So no bombs but a few "false" raids... GREAT!!! I think there is nothing left in the suburbs to destroy so I am not sure what they will bomb next. As a fellow FTer pointed out, I guess the IDF is too busy bombing the South to worry much about Beirut... Those folks have nowhere to go... Even when they try, they are being shot at... God help them all...
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:57 am

Programs: United Milage Plus, Alaska Airlines Milage Plan, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Dovster
There is no such thing as knowing what the temperature in Israel is -- any more than there is in knowing what the weather is like in the States.

My kibbutz (north of country, mountains) is usually one or two degrees cooler than Jerusalem so we probably peaked out at 81 F.

Besides, if you hurry, you can enjoy the free "sound and light show" jointly sponsored by the Israeli Army and Hizbollah.
Dovster, that temperature surprised me a little. Here in SEA we have had record temps of 95-100F (35-38C) the last few days while it is normally around 75F (24C) here this time of year. We will be back to more normal by tomorrow. We do not use AC here, so I see why you do not use it either. It is no wonder you can wait a wile to have your window fixed. By the way have they fixed it by now?

It is past my bedtime here. Good morning to you two. Dovster and BEYFlier hope it was a relative quiet night for you both last night? Eventhought it sounds like Dovster keep enjoying his "lightshow" at night?

BEYFlyer you probably are a little cooler in Beirut than Tel Aviv since you are a little farther north?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by apirchik
Condi have announced in a PC with PM Olmert that she does not plan to come back to the middle east in the near future (I guess she does not like the food ). I jope this means the end of the war is very near.
Oh no. That sounds like the shooting will last for a long time to come unfortunately!!?? Keep your heads down and your spirits up Dovster and BEYFlier?!! And stay safe in this madness!
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Dovster

Surprisingly for a country so small, Israel has a wide range of temperatures -- depending both on on the altitude and the latitude.

Take a look at the highs for four different cities yesterday:

Humidity is the key player here and makes the big difference in the overall feel of the heat ("Feels like" temprature). Tel Aviv and the beach area is at around 65-75% at summertime. The rest of the country is at around 40-50% and down to about 30% in Eilat.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by okflyer
Oh no. That sounds like the shooting will last for a long time to come unfortunately!!?? Keep your heads down and your spirits up Dovster and BEYFlier?!! And stay safe in this madness!
I meant she does not want to leave before an agreement and does not want to come back for another round of talk. It's a good thing, not a bad one.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:12 am

Just to show that all of this is far from over... Just read that the U.S. will soon provide Israel with 100 "bunker buster" bombs to kill Hizbollah's leader and destroy any infrastructure left. These bombs can penetrate up to 40 meters underground. I guess the IDF believes that Sayyed Nasrallah is still somewhere in the suburbs. Personally, I think Elvis has left the building (and the country). Additionally, the U.S. is rushing a delivery of satellite and "laser" (a la Dr. Evil) guided bombs in response to an Israeli request. Surely a cease fire can't be reached now. What do we do with all these extra bombs? Can't leave them just lying around... Storing them is going to take a lot of space, so might as well use them for something... I sorry, but when will both sides realize that enough is enough? Too many innocent civilians have been killed on both sides of the border... I just want to scream, "Enough already!!!!"
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Another quiet night in Beirut but the IAF kept flying these "false" raids over Beirut... Psychological... So no bombs but a few "false" raids... GREAT!!! I think there is nothing left in the suburbs to destroy so I am not sure what they will bomb next. As a fellow FTer pointed out, I guess the IDF is too busy bombing the South to worry much about Beirut... Those folks have nowhere to go... Even when they try, they are being shot at... God help them all...
BEYFlier, do the IAF fly through the sound-barrier to wake you up? Or do they drop flairs, and/or leaflets? or flyers? Sounds like they bomb very well down south?!

Last edited by okflyer; Jul 25, 2006 at 2:13 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by okflyer
BEYFlier, do the IAF fly through the sound-barrier to wake you up? Or do they drop flairs, and/or leaflets? or flyers? Sounds like they bomb very well down south?!
They simply fly down low, so you can hear the planes passing, and no they do not break the sound barrier. They have not dropped any fliers in my area but did over the suburbs before they bombed it. They called the house and had a pre-recorded message ready; does that count? They've also dropped fliers on the South many times. I have not personally seen them but I've seen them in reporters' hands on T.V. Indeed, right now they are concentrating on the South...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.