Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Ann Arbor Art Fair DO 2- July 22-23, 2006

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
If I needed to be at DTW (Smith terminal) by 4:45pm on Sunday, and had to return a rental car at DTW, what time would A2 locals suggest I leave A2?

3:45. 1/2 hour for the drive. 15 minutes to get from the rental car place to the terminal. 15 minutes to be safe.

And may I ask what you are doing flying out of the Smith terminal?!?!?!?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Location for 101 and 201 finalized

Both will be at the main Ann Arbor District Library, located at 343 South Fifth Avenue, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104. They will occur in the freespace room, which holds 32.

Parking will be horrible for the Saturday seminar and fine for the Sunday seminar. I would plan on arriving at least 1 hour before the seminar on Saturday to find parking and make your way to the library.

Last edited by Bikeguy; Jul 7, 2006 at 7:44 pm
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
3:45. 1/2 hour for the drive. 15 minutes to get from the rental car place to the terminal. 15 minutes to be safe.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be asking myself that several times that weekend. Check my "programs", however. That weekend, I plan to be a US/HP stowaway. However, I don't think I've ever been through the Smith terminal, so as bad as everyone makes it sound, I should probably experience it at least once before it's gone.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:47 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Bikeguy, thanks for booking the room!

So a crude schedule looks like this:

Saturday: MR 101 from 1:00pm to 5:30pm (we can maybe occupy the room a little earlier). Location: Ann Arbor Library at 343 S. 5th Ave. at the corner of William, Ann Arbor 48104. Phone (734) 327-4200. We are in one of the conference rooms-- it won't be hard to find. For those on public transit, the library is across the street from the main bus station where every Ann Arbor city bus terminates.

Saturday dinner: 6:00pm reservation at Cottage Inn Pizza at 512 E. William, Ann Arbor 48104, phone (734) 663-3379. The restaurant is 2 blocks from the library.

Unofficial hotel: Days Inn Ann Arbor near US 23 at Washtenaw. If you need a deal on hotels, ask me for info my e-mail.

-------------------------------------------

Sunday brunch: Webers Inn at 3050 Jackson Ave, Ann Arbor, phone (734) 769-2500. (Time? Will confirm with Bikeguy)

Mileage Run 201 seminar: 12:30pm to 5pm(?) at the Ann Arbor library, same as the 101 seminar. The library opens at 12:30pm-- however, we may start discussion a little earlier during Brunch. For people who have to leave before 5, we will go through most of the material by then. Feel free to leave when you have to.

So that's the latest info as far as I know.

Thanks again to Bikeguy for all of the organizing!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:11 pm

I am registered for the MR seminar on Saturday, but am not going to be able to attend. I can't figure out how to "unreserve". Do I need to let Bikeguy or Viajero know? Thanks....hopefully I'll be able to attend a future one!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Hey, I'm flying AA into/out of Smith. It's OK. There's a nice Cuervo Taqueria in Smith, or at least there used to be, but it's outside of security.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by GJCrawford
I am registered for the MR seminar on Saturday, but am not going to be able to attend. I can't figure out how to "unreserve". Do I need to let Bikeguy or Viajero know? Thanks....hopefully I'll be able to attend a future one!
Nope, you need to let me know. Sorry, my registration tool is a bit old and I haven't updated it since I made it last summer, so there's no function for you to remove yourself. I'll manually remove you from the seminar.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

the Smith terminal, so as bad as everyone makes it sound, I should probably experience it at least once before it's gone.
Pre 9-11, I went through security to meet my wife's plane that was landing in 10 minutes. 25 minutes later, I made it to the gate. And that was walking fast.

My only advice is to wear good walking shoes.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:17 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Misc advice

I believe the Art Fairs are over Saturday at 5 or 6 pm. Finding parking that day will be very challenging. I advise out of towners who are not familiar with Ann Arbor to allow plenty of time to find parking. Car pooling is advisable. Better yet, try to park in Briarwood Mall and ride the Art Fair AATA buses to downtown (I think it is only a dollar, definitely not more than two) and then catch a ride with a local back to Briarwood Mall or a bunch of you share a taxi after the dinner.

There is a nice outdoor parking lot right next to the library and that should work great on Sunday. I believe all parking is free on Sundays downtown??

Across the street from the library is the Post Office. Many like to park there for free. I used to do that for several years until one day four years ago I could not find my car. The city towed it and I had to depart with $160 bucks, it hurt. Needless to say I have not parked there since

On the North end in the same block as the library (next to the parking lot) is tiny Jerusalem Garden restaurant. They have excellent falafels, they used to be only $2.75 each and there was a $1 off coupon in the monthly Current magazine (free all over town). I am not sure if the price went up and if the coupon is still there. But I have had my share of $1.75 falafels over the years, great food and great value. There will be long lines on Saturday but should not be busy on Sunday (if they open that is, they are likely will be recuperating from the Art Fair crowds!).

Hope this helps, looking forward to it!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:24 pm

Pre 9-11, I went through security to meet my wife's plane that was landing in 10 minutes. 25 minutes later, I made it to the gate. And that was walking fast.

My only advice is to wear good walking shoes.
Really? It doesn't look that large compared to the McNamara terminal. Hm. Well, I need to get to the US gates, which are in the lower numbered gates of the A Concourse, I think. Was it security that made it take a while?
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Really? It doesn't look that large compared to the McNamara terminal. Hm. Well, I need to get to the US gates, which are in the lower numbered gates of the A Concourse, I think. Was it security that made it take a while?
It had nothing to do with security. The terminal is set up like a fun house, with everything at 90 degree angles. Just when you think you are getting close, boom, another 90 degree turn and another long corridor. It just keeps going, and going, and going, ..............

My wife's gate was one of the last. But it was painful, almost comical, getting to that gate.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpapadop
There is a nice outdoor parking lot right next to the library and that should work great on Sunday. I believe all parking is free on Sundays downtown??
This lot will be for vendors only on Saturday. I don't know when the vendors for the art fair need to be gone. Hopefully before Sunday at noon.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:02 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Yes

Count me in on the festivities.

B7
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Map & Schedule info-page updated ( ) : HERE

14 .. 13 .. 12 ..
/.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I plan to attend the Brunch on Sunday for sure and a maybe on the dinner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.