Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Ann Arbor Art Fair DO 2- July 22-23, 2006

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nathockens
Are we going to have to make a reservation a couple of months in advance?
I made reservations last year, and plan on doing so this year, once things are firmer. Pizza House is a good suggestion.

I personally don't feel Palio is a good value, and therefore wouldn't feel comfortable bringing out of town guests there. I have no issue with paying more, as long as the quality rises accordingly. I know there are plenty of people that like Palio, but that was my impression.

And your Ann Arbor insider tip of the day is that your meal is free on your birthday (with ID, of course), at Gratzi, Chop House and Real Seafood. My wife and I typically have our birthday dinner's at Gratzi, with the occasional try of the other two.
Old May 2, 2006, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

I actually have one friend that has lunch at one place and dinner at another on his birthday.
Old May 6, 2006, 6:41 pm

Where are the majority of the "events" on Saturday/Sunday going to be held? Will they all be within a small radius of each other? I ask because I don't know yet if I'll rent a car for the 1.5/2 days. If I don't, I'll probably be looking to Priceline something close to "all the action" so I can walk to and fro.
Old May 6, 2006, 10:10 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
You'll probably want to rent a car, if only for transportation to/from DTW and hotels. The central part of Ann Arbor doesn't have many affordable hotel options in walking distance (the Michigan League (734-764-3177) for decent prices but extremely limited availability, and Campus Inn for higher prices), and the trip to/from DTW is at least $40 each way by taxi. DTW cars are fairly cheap-- I'm finding $20ish/day base prices on travelocity, but check periodically as I imagine they may dip a bit more. Parking won't be as bad as some would have you believe.

As far as the location of the seminar itself, I haven't worked that out yet, but as a former U of M student, I can think of a few location possibilities.

Last edited by Viajero Joven; May 6, 2006 at 10:16 pm
Old May 7, 2006, 11:04 am

Thanks for the advice, VJ. Hopefully I can find a discount coupon between now and then to wipe off the young renter's fee.
Old May 7, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Thanks for the advice, VJ. Hopefully I can find a discount coupon between now and then to wipe off the young renter's fee.
Why not get a ride in with someone. I will be arriving Saturday around noon and leaving Sunday around 6pm. STL-CVG-DTW-CVG-STL. Will have a rental.
Old May 7, 2006, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by aviationkiwi
Why not get a ride in with someone. I will be arriving Saturday around noon and leaving Sunday around 6pm. STL-CVG-DTW-CVG-STL. Will have a rental.
I would be happy to grab a ride with someone whose schedule matches mine. I plan on showing up for the seminars, though, so I might not be able to accept your offer for the ride in. The other thing I'm sort of concerned about is that I may be flying standby to get there, so if I miss a flight or misconnect, I wouldn't want to burden anyone by waiting or not being able to get a hold of them.

Maybe since VJ is going in time for the seminar (duh ), I'll call shotgun with him there and hope I make my redeye in to DTW. But then the thing to think about is in-between the seminars, I wouldn't want to burden anyone by having to shuttle me to or from my hotel or the dinner, after-dinner, etc. events. Perhaps it would be best to just rent something myself since I plan on saving $ on the airfare. We'll see how it all unfolds.
Old May 7, 2006, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I wouldn't want to burden anyone by having to shuttle me to or from my hotel or the dinner, after-dinner, etc. events. Perhaps it would be best to just rent something myself since I plan on saving $ on the airfare. We'll see how it all unfolds.
Dinner will be in Ann Arbor and the afterdinner as well. You'd be able to walk or share a ride. Heck, I'll shuttle you in Ann Arbor if you can't work anything else out. I really think you'll be able to work something else out though.

I'm going to reserve a room in Pittsfield Twp town hall for Sunday's seminar. I'd imagine Weber's would give us our old room, but if attendance is over 15, it will be too small. Sunday brunch will be Webers, just because that is a screaming value (like $9 for an awesome, all you care to eat brunch, complete with chef to carve the roast beef.)

I second the idea of the rental car, if only to get to and from DTW. Cab fare is actually above $50 now and Metrocar is higher. Even the shared van is around $40 R/T, with all the inconvenience that comes with it. How those guys get away with charging $40 to share a van is beyond me. My last time a lady brought a dog in a crate that "had an accident". The van reeked. Then they dropped off people in the most convoluted fashion. An hour and a half after I tarted going home, I arrived. It normally takes 20-25 minutes. Never again!!!

But I digress.
Old May 11, 2006, 8:12 pm

Location: Lat. N41., Long. W-75, in the NJ foothills of the Poconos
Programs: Ex-Con Million Miler, UA MM, CO Plat dozen, Onepass member since 1988
Count me in. MR educational session #3. I always continue to learn, or you could evaluate that I'm a slow learner!

B777
Old May 13, 2006, 3:46 am

Programs: NW
For dinner, Grizzley Peak is great but Knights is also very big and has excellent food (and free parking) Gratzi is overpriced (IMHO) and don't know how to pour wine
Old May 13, 2006, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Sunday brunch will be Webers, just because that is a screaming value (like $9 for an awesome, all you care to eat brunch, complete with chef to carve the roast beef.)
Are you kidding me?? I lived in A2 for 6 years and both of my sisters are living there now (one since her freshman year in 1996!)!! I had NO idea that there was a $9 brunch to be had here, but my sisters are about to get phone calls right now!

Nice (if late) to know that there are alternatives to that tasty cinnamon-raisin french toast at D'Angelo's (where IIRC I also paid something like $9)!
Old May 13, 2006, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 3timesalady
Are you kidding me?? I lived in A2 for 6 years and both of my sisters are living there now (one since her freshman year in 1996!)!! I had NO idea that there was a $9 brunch to be had here, but my sisters are about to get phone calls right now!

Nice (if late) to know that there are alternatives to that tasty cinnamon-raisin french toast at D'Angelo's (where IIRC I also paid something like $9)!
You lived in A2 and didn't know about Webers? What a shame......lucky I have a friend that lives in Scio township just down the street
Old May 13, 2006, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by socrates
You lived in A2 and didn't know about Webers? What a shame......lucky I have a friend that lives in Scio township just down the street
I knew about Webers, just not about the brunch. The lunch/ dinner menu isn't that great for vegetarians, plus it is soooo far from campus (Zeeb Rd - yikes! ) so in 6 years, I probably went there < 6 times.

Whoever wrote about Gratzi earlier, right on! ^ That's a nice restaurant. Actually, there is a tapas place that opened up a couple of doors down maybe a year or 2 back that is also very yummy.

Man, I miss A2. Maybe I should sign up for this do. Not a big fan of art fair, though... okay with the artists, not okay with the doughy (read: flabby and pale) riff-raff that think it is okay to wander the streets of a civilized town dressed like you are going to paint the exterior walls of your house.

I'm so judgemental... not very 3timesa-ladylike at all! I'm nice in person though, so no need to fear me if I come (unless you are doughy and dressed like you are going to paint your house!).

Old May 13, 2006, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I knew about Webers, just not about the brunch. The lunch/ dinner menu isn't that great for vegetarians, plus it is soooo far from campus (Zeeb Rd - yikes! ) so in 6 years, I probably went there < 6 times.

Whoever wrote about Gratzi earlier, right on! ^ That's a nice restaurant. Actually, there is a tapas place that opened up a couple of doors down maybe a year or 2 back that is also very yummy.

Man, I miss A2. Maybe I should sign up for this do. Not a big fan of art fair, though... okay with the artists, not okay with the doughy (read: flabby and pale) riff-raff that think it is okay to wander the streets of a civilized town dressed like you are going to paint the exterior walls of your house.

I'm so judgemental... not very 3timesa-ladylike at all! I'm nice in person though, so no need to fear me if I come (unless you are doughy and dressed like you are going to paint your house!).

Yes Gratzi and it's sister restaurants are alittle on the high side for the food/service but then I prefer whole in the walls like the Jug before it's redo (man the days of going on a date with my wife, grabbing a pizza and pitcher of Labatt's for $15)

Weber's use to have a happy hour with clams or something like that....I can't eat them so I don't remember exactly what it was but I use to meet friends up there
Old May 17, 2006, 3:21 am
Original Poster

(unless you are doughy and dressed like you are going to paint your house!).
Oh well. Looks like I better wear another outfit!

Perhaps my interior painting clothes for this DO. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.