Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW Ann Arbor Art Fair DO 2- July 22-23, 2006

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Just called Weber's and got the back room that overlooks the pool reserved for the Sunday brunch. ^

Grizzly Peak did not go as well. They said for a party of 20, we'd need to get there by at least 5:30, although they only offered 5PM originally. As this would conflict with the MR seminar, I told them we'd eat someplace else. Any other restaurant suggestions, or past suggestions people feel strongly about?

I'll actually throw out Cottage Inn on Williams (the sitdown location near that big tower).

What do the attendees think?
Old May 28, 2006, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Just called Weber's and got the back room that overlooks the pool reserved for the Sunday brunch. ^

Grizzly Peak did not go as well. They said for a party of 20, we'd need to get there by at least 5:30, although they only offered 5PM originally. As this would conflict with the MR seminar, I told them we'd eat someplace else. Any other restaurant suggestions, or past suggestions people feel strongly about?

I'll actually throw out Cottage Inn on Williams (the sitdown location near that big tower).

What do the attendees think?
Cottage Inn would be great but I think it would be difficult...that place is always packed
Old May 28, 2006, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Cottage Inn on William it is!!

Just talked to the reservationist (?). He said as the Art Fair will be breaking down then, it will be chaos and they usually have a very light crowd because all the streets near them are closed. Reservation is for 20 people at 6PM. I'll adjust the number the day before for the final count.

He advised that at least half the people need to be there by 6:15, or our table will be given away.

And if you haven't experienced Cottage Inn deep dish pizza, you are in for a real treat. My favorite is the Spicy Mediterranean. My mouth is watering as I type.

I guarantee the MR presenter will be happy with this decision.

If you are driving in just for this, be prepared to park pretty far away and leave plenty of time.
Old May 28, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I used to live in that tower. I can't remember the name, but of course it could have changed names 20 times since then.

I agree that Cottage Inn Pizza is superb! We're in for a treat!
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:00 pm

PLease add me to list for Dinner at Cottage Inn,attending MR seminar,Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Getiton
PLease add me to list for Dinner at Cottage Inn,attending MR seminar,Thanks
I'll add you for dinner. However, you'll need to register yourself for either/both MR seminars on the MR seminar page. It's location can be found in the sticky at the top of the MR forum.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:24 pm

Thankyou,Have already registered for MR Seminar.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:36 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
I guarantee the MR presenter will be happy with this decision.

^^^

Indeed!

I'm pulling myself back to reality (in spite of mile/burning and dealing with my boss quitting) so I will soon pull some things together like my own travel arrangements. Worst case, I have seats held with WN awards.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Boss quit??

Does that mean you succeed to the job?
At least, make sure the new guy understands that your terms included company-paid mile-runs whenever the mood strikes ..

For the out-of-towners .. or those with "situational awareness issues" ( ) I've whipped up a crude page of AA map links at this Geocities page & we'll try to keep the schedule updated...

(link is also noted in post #2)
/.

Last edited by CaveatEmpty; Jun 6, 2006 at 2:27 pm Reason: much funnier slug-line
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:08 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty
Does that mean you succeed to the job?
No, I'm not trying for it. I know I'm not at that level.

There are 2 others in the department (total 8, now staffed to 4) who are jockeying for it---- however, one announced today he has a lucrative offer out of state. So our 4 may soon be 3. The other may be named interim in my boss's slot and I will consider moving into the spot vacated by the guy with the offer- still a step up for me. Remember that in the department, I'm still by far the most joven. ;-)
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1P, AA Plat
I worked at this Fair for SBC Communications last year! I couldn't believe how big a Art Festival this was~!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:33 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567378

40% off Four Points hotels. Looks like the closest one is the DTW Metro Four Points, so not the closest to Ann Arbor, but it comes out to ~$54 a night. Maybe this can help someone out? Looks like the promo is about to end very soon, though.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:33 pm

For the locals (or out-of-towners who know the area well), I am starting to look at hotel options and am wondering if this hotel will be a good location for the "happenings"? I don't yet know whether I will rent a car, so assuming I will be walking, taking public transportation, or bumming rides, would this hotel (Comfort Inn -- 2455 Carpenter Rd., Ann Arbor, MI) be a suitable location?

Also, if I did rent a car, would staying in Plymouth, Livonia, or Belleville be a long way? They don't look too far on the map, but traffic might be bad, or long stoplights, or something else might make these locations less desirable.

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:51 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The Comfort Inn you mentioned is a pretty good non downtown location. This particular hotel seems to be one of the nicer Comfort Inns and is about a five to ten minute drive to A2 downtown with no traffic issues. And it's also easily accessible by freeways.

Belleville is the closest from the three other locations you mentioned. Livonia may be a bit too far if timing is an issue. Plymouth is closer than Livonia but not by that much.

fyi: it's orange barrell season in Michigan these days and it appears i-94 and US-23 intersection and M-14 could get pretty bad traffic wise.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

A agree that Belleville makes more sense than Plymouth or Livonia.

The Comfort Inn is a good location.

AATA.org is the bus route link. Looks like 5 and 22 go by there. However, it will cost you more to get to/from the airport than the rental car, unless you bum a ride.

Just secured the Pittsfield Township Town Hall for our meeting location Sunday, if we go over 20 people and can't stay at Webers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.